Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Syndens Blomster by Charles Baudelaire

Syndens Blomster (original 1857; edition 1921)

by Charles Baudelaire (Author)

Member:perhansen
Title:Syndens Blomster
Authors:Charles Baudelaire (Author)
Info:Kbh. : Nyt Nordisk Forlag, 1921 (1857). - 280 s.
Tags:France, French fiction, 1850-1859, 1800-1899, French poetry, TRT 44

The Flowers of Evil by Charles Baudelaire (Author) (1857)

English (34)  Spanish (5)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (52)
Romantiques par la mélancolie à l'ombre de laquelle ils s'épanouissent, parnassiens par leur culte du Beau et la rigueur de leur composition (ils sont dédiés à Théophile Gautier), ces poèmes illustrent la théorie des "correspondances" horizontales entre les éléments visibles et invisibles, qui sont comme de "longs échos qui de loin en loin se confondent" pour s'élever en correspondances verticales "ayant l'expansion des choses infinies". Exploration du matériau grouillant qu'est la vie, cette quête spirituelle conduit le poète, tiraillé entre Spleen et Idéal, à travers diverses expériences pour échapper à la dualité déchirante.
  Haijavivi | Jun 12, 2019 |
Not my cup of tea ( )
  kakadoo202 | Mar 20, 2019 |
When my eyes, to this cat I love
Drawn as by a magnet's force,
Turn tamely back upon that appeal,
And when I look within myself,

I notice with astonishment
The fire of his opal eyes,
Clear beacons glowing, living jewels,
Taking my measure, steadily.

My (initial) amateur assessment is that the translation is to blame for my absence of astonishment. There's no way this could be the same genius who gave us Paris Spleen. Maybe I am but confused. Maybe the threads which shriek decay and ennui were of inadequate weight. Maybe my own disposition suffers from dread and I was left with a meh?

Perhaps I am inadequate. Perhaps I should pursue other editions and translators. I loved the allusion of street sweeps herding their storms. I love the self-deprecation. I just wanted more. Not the Absolute but more--on which to chew. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Joshua Clover, do New York Times, resumiu perfeitamente a importância desta coleção: O autor e sua editora foram processados na época (regime do Segundo Império) como um ultraje insultuoso 'aux bonnes moeurs' (à decência pública). Em conseqüência do processo, Baudelaire foi multado em 300 francos. Seis poemas foram suprimidos do livro e a proibição de sua publicação perdurou até 1949. Tais poemas eram Lesbos, Femmes damnés (À la pâle Clarté), Le léthé, À celle qui est trop gaie, Les Bijoux e Les Metamorphoses du vampire, mais tarde publicados em Bruxelas num pequeno volume intitulado Les Épaves. Ao ler "O Cisne", Victor Hugo logo anunciou que Baudelaire tinha criado "un nouveau frisson" (um novo tremor, ou uma nova emoção) em literatura. Em português, a tradução mais célebre, embora incompleta, é a de Guilherme de Almeida, para editora José Olympio, em 1944 (Flores das "Flores do Mal" de Charles Baudelaire) com 150 páginas. ( )
  jgcorrea | Dec 25, 2018 |

Of The Most Profound Humility
I Dedicate
These Sickly Flowers
C.B.
La sottise, l’erreur, le péché, la lésine,/
Occupent nos esprits et travaillent nos corps,/
Et nous alimentons nos aimables remords,/
Comme les mendiants nourrissent leur vermine.
Verse-nous ton poison pour qu’il nous réconforte !/
Nous voulons, tant ce feu nous brûle le cerveau,/
Plonger au fond du gouffre, Enfer ou Ciel, qu’importe ?/
Au fond de l’Inconnu pour trouver du nouveau !
there are quite a few different versions of this book containing more or less poems (most notable the 6 condemned verses miss often and the "Tableaux parisiens" have been added in newer editions. (see http://fleursdumal.org/ for details)

"I fiori del male" il capolavoro di Charles Baudelaire, oramai considerato da tutti come li padre del Decadentismo e della poesia moderna tout court, raccoglie liriche straordinarie per la perfezione stilistica e la complessa varietà dei contenuti e dei temi. Si tratta di testi di una bellezza strana e misteriosa, di un'originalità tormentata ed angosciosa che talora suscita sgomento. Baudelaire è il poeta della sofferenza, della nostalgia, del rimorso, sempre alla ricerca di una perfezione pressoché irraggiungibile; ma anche tra i più lucidi, geniali critici dell'arte e della letteratura del suo tempo, capace di analizzarne e riconoscerne la potente carica simbolica.
(piopas)

This translation of Baudelaire's magnum opus perhaps the most powerful and influential book of verse from the 19th century - won the American Book Award for Translation. And the honor was well-deserved, for this is one of Richard Howard's greatest efforts. It's all here: a timeless translation, the complete French text, and Mazur's striking black and white monotypes in one elegant edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

This carefully crafted ebook: "The Flowers of Evil" is formatted for your eReader with a functional and detailed table of contents. Les Flers du Mal, translated as The Flowers of Evil (first published in 1857), originally condemned as obscene, is recognized as a masterpiece, especially remarkable for the brilliant phrasing, rhythm, and expressiveness of its lyrics. Charles Baudelaire (1821-1867) was one of the greatest French poets of the 19th century. His work has been a major influence on Western poetry and modern poetry in general as, thematically, he was one of the first poets whose subject was often urban life and its dark side, with all of its evils and the degradation of its temptations. His poems, classical in form, introduced Symbolism, he is also known as a writer of the Decadent group. Baudelaire was moody and rebellious, imbued with an intense religious mysticism, and his work reflects an unremitting inner despair. His main theme is the inseparable nature of beauty and corruption.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,473,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible