Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth…

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Seth Grahame-Smith (Author)

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years.
Member:kinverkid
Title:Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Seth Grahame-Smith (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (2010)

English (278)  Italian (1)  All languages (279)
After the third "it was all a dream" I rolled my eyes. The only reason I'm finishing this is because its almost over. The vampire gimmick is thin at best.
It's the rare chance to say: the movie is so much better. ( )
  habeus | Jul 24, 2020 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Jul 22, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book. I love history so it was great to see real events blended in to the story. It took me awhile to buy into the book's premise, but it was surprisingly realistic. I did have one major problem with the book, which is why I gave it four stars (really would have loved to give it 3.5 stars). Ask me about it if you are curious... ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
It read like some sort of historical novel. I would have been less annoyed if they picked on a different historical figure, perhaps. However, the dialogue was less than sparkling and the descriptions were sketchy. The universe was gritty. ( )
  mirihawk | May 21, 2020 |
Come on, Abraham Lincoln is a vampire hunter. What more do you need?
Seriously though, this is exactly what you would expect it to be and nothing more, a clever idea, escapist reading, a fun mashup of genres. Don't expect anything deep. Just enjoy it. ( )
  CaseyAdamsStark | Apr 15, 2020 |
Despite the bluntness with which it works vampires into the American fabric, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a fun read... As a secret history... it rests on a good idea, and stays true to its own internal logic and to the world it builds for itself.
added by Shortride | editPopMatters, Andrew Gilstrap (Mar 25, 2010)

Grahame-Smith's sophomore effort outlasts the kitsch value of its title, and freed from the constraints of updating (or defacing, depending on one's viewpoint) a revered literary gem, the writer delivers a well-constructed, surprisingly satisfying narrative that straight-faces its absurd premise: that Honest Abe, the 16th president of the United States, led a secret life slaying the fanged undead.

I'll have to admit, I sort of had a love-hate relationship with this book.

Seth Grahame-Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holst, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
--Edgar Allan Poe
For Erin and Joshua
Facts: For over 250 years, between 1607 and 1865, vampires thrived in the shadows of America.

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside.

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, young Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln. Now, using the journal as a guide Seth reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president. For the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War--and uncovers the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,547,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible