Rooms by James L. Rubart

Rooms (2010)

by James L. Rubart

342None31,993 (3.28)35
Recently added byDaiveinLB, private library, jnut1, HighlandsCCLibrary, sanicki, Dureo, TxYanky
    The Shack by William P. Young (paulstalder)
    paulstalder: ähnliche Handlung: Ein Mann kommt in ein Haus und kommt mit seiner Vergangenheit ins Reine

Aside from a few minor issues this was quite the interesting read. I enjoyed the way the author gradually built up what was occurring without giving it away too quickly. The characters, while not very deep, were believable and had separate personalities. The plot was handled very well. I can see this author putting out better works in the future if he learns from this one. I found several mistakes that should have been caught easily by a decent editor. I didn't like the overdone descriptions of items. They were distracting and took away from the flow. Still, it's not a bad book overall. ( )
  Jenn.S | Sep 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. I found it to be a quick and easy read because of the style of writing and because the story is engaging. It was terribly predictable, but that does not make it bad.

While reading this book, I could not help but notice the similarities to another popular Christian fiction novel The Shack. The use of the metaphor of the house being the spirit is explored in depth.. If you are looking for a quick, entertaining read that also carries a message of hope, this would be a good book for you. ( )
  spookyspice | Apr 1, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I am easily entertained. I am NOT an english professor, or a professional reviewer.
Just a normal person who finds reading and sometimes commenting on books enjoyable.
Read what follows with that in mind. Thanks.

Micah Taylor has it all: wealth, career, girlfriend, and goals. That is about to change with the arrival of a letter that sets his life into a tailspin.
A home left to him on the Oregon coast by an great uncle he doesn't know, but it is more than a house. Rooms keep appearing that weren't there the day before.

The one word that comes to mind when I think of this book: Choices.
I enjoyed this book and will definitely read it again. I will also look for more books by this author.
I recommend this book to anyone who likes Christian fiction. This was a good book ( )
1 vote lostinmyownlibrary | Dec 12, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel about a man's path back to God. Joining Micah Taylor on his journey as he struggles to choose between his empty life as a big-shot software designer and a somewhat more humble, yet more fulfilling path to healing and Grace, the reader is captivated from the very first word. Religious fiction is not usually my favourite genre, but Rooms is a fascinating and enjoyable experience I recommend to anyone. ( )
  seldombites | Oct 12, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have delayed writing my review about this book for some time. Partly because I hate writing negative reviews.
But this book did not satisfy me in any way. I found it to be very predictable and cliche. I just did not enjoy it.
  Tricia608 | Jun 16, 2011 |
What can you ever really know of other people's souls--of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands.
--C. S. Lewis
For Darci
Why would a man he never knew build him a home on one of the most spectacular beaches on the West Coast?
"Liebst du Bücher?", fragte Micha.
Sie nickte leicht. "Wenn du mir fünftausend Dollar geben und sagen würdest, dass ich damit machen kann, was ich will, würde ich schnurstracks in einen Buchladen gehen."
"Wie viele Kinder willst du?"
...
"Drei. Einen Jungen, ein Mädchen und eins, das sich selbst aussuchen darf, was es werden will."
Die Bibel sagt, dass das Wort unseres Fusses Leuchte ist. Kein grosser Scheinwerfer oder eine mit Flutlicht erhellte Landebahn, auf der wir ein Flugzeug landen könnten. Geh deshalb einen Schritt nach dem anderen. Im Moment versuchst du verzweifelt herauszufinden, wo dein Weg endet. Aber du musst den Glauben aufbringen, alles aus der Hand zu geben und Gott zu überlassen, dass er dir zu seiner Zeit enthüllt, was er vorhat.

On a rainy spring day in Seattle, young software tycoon Micah Taylor receives a cryptic, twenty-five-year-old letter from a great uncle he never knew. It claims a home awaits him on the Oregon coast that will turn his world inside out. Suspecting a prank, Micah arrives at Cannon Beach to discover a stunning brand new nine-thousand square foot house. And after meeting Sarah Sabin at a nearby ice cream shop, he has two reasons to visit the beach every weekend.

When bizarre things start happening in the rooms of the home, Micah suspects they have some connection to his enigmatic new friend, Rick, the town mechanic. But Rick will only say the house is spiritual. This unnerves Micah because his faith slipped away like the tide years ago, and he wants to keep it that way. But as he slowly discovers, the home isn’t just spiritual, it’s a physical manifestation of his soul, which God uses to heal Micah’s darkest wounds and lead him into an astonishing new destiny.

"An extraordinary read. Part The Screwtape Letters, part The Shack."

--Robert Liparulo, best-selling author of Comes a Horseman

"A profound spiritual tale spun with imaginative flair. I'm looking forward to more from Jim Rubart."

--James Scott Bell, best-selling author of Try Fear

"Unforgettable. The kind of book that is talked about long after the last page has been turned. The universe of readers is richer because of this debut novel."

--Alton Gansky, author of Enoch and Certain Jeopardy

"Two words about Rooms: blown away. It's been a long time since I read anything this unique and truly creative, and even longer since a book held me in such rapt attention during the moments I was reading it--and long after."

--Deborah Raney, author of the Clayburn novels

"A wonderful book . . . Since I began reading it, I've been captivated. It isn't often that a book pulls me so deeply into the fictive dream that I dream about it at night."

--Terri Blackstock, author of Predator and Intervention

Winner, Best Inspirational Novel of 2010

--RT BOOK REVIEWS Reviewers' Choice Awards

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:34 -0400)

"It was just a letter. Cryptic, yes. Absurd? Absolutely. But Seattle software tycoon Micah Taylor can't get it out of his mind--this claim that a home was built for him, by a great uncle he never knew, on the Oregon coast. In Cannon Beach. The one place he loves. The one place he never wants to see again. Micah goes to Cannon Beach intending to sell the house and keep his past buried, but the nine thousand sqaure-foot home instantly feels like it's part of him. Then he meets Sarah Sabin at the local ice cream shop... Maybe Cannon Beach can be a perfect weekend getaway. But strange things happen in the house. Things Micah can't explain. Things he can barely believe. All the locals will say is that the house is 'spiritual.' Unsettling, since Micah's faith slipped away like the tide years ago. And then he discovers the shocking truth: the home isn't just spiritual, it's a physical manifestation. Of his soul. Will Micah run--or will he risk everything to see what waits for him deep within the house's rooms?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Rooms by James L. Rubart was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible