Rooms by James L. Rubart

Rooms (2010)

by James L. Rubart

The Shack by William P. Young (paulstalder)
    paulstalder: ähnliche Handlung: Ein Mann kommt in ein Haus und kommt mit seiner Vergangenheit ins Reine

Micah Taylor is a successful software entrepreneur with a perfect business partner/girlfriend, a twenty-first floor penthouse in Seattle, and millions in the bank. But a letter from his Great-Uncle Archie unnerves him: his uncle has built a house for him in Cannon Beach, a place he once loved, a place he has no desire to ever visit again. But the letter intrigues him and he heads off to see the house . . . if it does indeed exist. He’s determined to sell it and return to his perfect Seattle life.

Micah is stunned by what he finds. Nine thousand square feet, designed and furnished exactly as Micah might have done if he’d built it himself. Weird, Micah thinks, but his resolve to sell the house remains . . . until mysterious rooms start appearing and disappearing, throwing his life into turmoil.

Micah thinks he’s going crazy but his new friend, Rick, tells him the house is spiritual and encourages him to talk about his experiences. As the story progresses, it becomes clear that Micah is being given a rare opportunity to explore the direction his life will take if he stays in Seattle or if he stays in Cannon Beach. With either choice, he is given the ability to see what he will gain . . . and what he will lose.

Firmly based in Christian faith, this spiritual tale focuses on Micah’s journey to discover how the choices he makes will affect his life. As he wrestles with the difficulties of discovering what truly lies within his heart, he comes to understand what is essential and important in his life . . . and what he needs to do to obtain it.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Dec 29, 2014 |
Read from July 25 to 27, 2013
I was drawn to this novel by the cover - Yes, I'll freely confess!
Not unwillingly, as this book is a stunner.
James Rubart's debut took me on a mind bending adventure I desired
nothing but to learn "what happens next?" One word description?

Riveting!

A mind bender that intensely engaged my emotions. Rubart is a masterful storyteller. Believable characters. Believable relationships.
Unbelievable scenarios of intrigue and suspense.

MC, Micah Taylor, makes life changing decisions without grasping the potential impact on present and future. Challenging to the reader as we follow his progress, alternately cheering or holding our breath. Relational connections we want to see happen -
others we're wanting to warn him of. But... are we right?

An inheritance that subliminally fulfills his every wish?
A dream come true ? or a doorway into deception ?
Substantial ethical, relational, and spiritual challenges
for Micah and for us as we reflect on the situations portrayed.

Stunning outcomes with ever increasing twists of mental prowess
kept me invested to the end. The ripple effect lasted much longer...

NOT to be missed!
Quotes:

“You don't have to own something for it to be you. Haven't you ever gone into a gallery and seen a painting and said 'that's me'. Or had a piece of music capture something deep down you didn't even know was there? You realize it's always been part of youl you've just never heard it before.”
―'Rooms' James L. Rubart

“Utterly engulfed,
And wanting more.
Buried,
Drowned,
Intoxicated,
With the vastness of love.
Losing myself as the waves wash over me,
Through me,
Surrounding me,
Caught up in the a hurricane of overwhelming peace,
I have let go,And He has found me.”
― James L. Rubart, Rooms

*My appreciation to B&H Publishing Group for an ecopy to read and review without compensation or obligation. ( )
  FHC | Jun 23, 2014 |
Wow. Just... Wow. ( )
  kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |
Aside from a few minor issues this was quite the interesting read. I enjoyed the way the author gradually built up what was occurring without giving it away too quickly. The characters, while not very deep, were believable and had separate personalities. The plot was handled very well. I can see this author putting out better works in the future if he learns from this one. I found several mistakes that should have been caught easily by a decent editor. I didn't like the overdone descriptions of items. They were distracting and took away from the flow. Still, it's not a bad book overall. ( )
  Jenn.S | Sep 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. I found it to be a quick and easy read because of the style of writing and because the story is engaging. It was terribly predictable, but that does not make it bad.

While reading this book, I could not help but notice the similarities to another popular Christian fiction novel The Shack. The use of the metaphor of the house being the spirit is explored in depth.. If you are looking for a quick, entertaining read that also carries a message of hope, this would be a good book for you. ( )
  spookyspice | Apr 1, 2012 |
What can you ever really know of other people's souls--of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands.
--C. S. Lewis
For Darci
Why would a man he never knew build him a home on one of the most spectacular beaches on the West Coast?
"Liebst du Bücher?", fragte Micha.
Sie nickte leicht. "Wenn du mir fünftausend Dollar geben und sagen würdest, dass ich damit machen kann, was ich will, würde ich schnurstracks in einen Buchladen gehen."
"Wie viele Kinder willst du?"
...
"Drei. Einen Jungen, ein Mädchen und eins, das sich selbst aussuchen darf, was es werden will."
Die Bibel sagt, dass das Wort unseres Fusses Leuchte ist. Kein grosser Scheinwerfer oder eine mit Flutlicht erhellte Landebahn, auf der wir ein Flugzeug landen könnten. Geh deshalb einen Schritt nach dem anderen. Im Moment versuchst du verzweifelt herauszufinden, wo dein Weg endet. Aber du musst den Glauben aufbringen, alles aus der Hand zu geben und Gott zu überlassen, dass er dir zu seiner Zeit enthüllt, was er vorhat.

On a rainy spring day in Seattle, young software tycoon Micah Taylor receives a cryptic, twenty-five-year-old letter from a great uncle he never knew. It claims a home awaits him on the Oregon coast that will turn his world inside out. Suspecting a prank, Micah arrives at Cannon Beach to discover a stunning brand new nine-thousand square foot house. And after meeting Sarah Sabin at a nearby ice cream shop, he has two reasons to visit the beach every weekend.

When bizarre things start happening in the rooms of the home, Micah suspects they have some connection to his enigmatic new friend, Rick, the town mechanic. But Rick will only say the house is spiritual. This unnerves Micah because his faith slipped away like the tide years ago, and he wants to keep it that way. But as he slowly discovers, the home isn’t just spiritual, it’s a physical manifestation of his soul, which God uses to heal Micah’s darkest wounds and lead him into an astonishing new destiny.

"An extraordinary read. Part The Screwtape Letters, part The Shack."

--Robert Liparulo, best-selling author of Comes a Horseman

"A profound spiritual tale spun with imaginative flair. I'm looking forward to more from Jim Rubart."

--James Scott Bell, best-selling author of Try Fear

"Unforgettable. The kind of book that is talked about long after the last page has been turned. The universe of readers is richer because of this debut novel."

--Alton Gansky, author of Enoch and Certain Jeopardy

"Two words about Rooms: blown away. It's been a long time since I read anything this unique and truly creative, and even longer since a book held me in such rapt attention during the moments I was reading it--and long after."

--Deborah Raney, author of the Clayburn novels

"A wonderful book . . . Since I began reading it, I've been captivated. It isn't often that a book pulls me so deeply into the fictive dream that I dream about it at night."

--Terri Blackstock, author of Predator and Intervention

Winner, Best Inspirational Novel of 2010

--RT BOOK REVIEWS Reviewers' Choice Awards

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:34 -0400)

"It was just a letter. Cryptic, yes. Absurd? Absolutely. But Seattle software tycoon Micah Taylor can't get it out of his mind--this claim that a home was built for him, by a great uncle he never knew, on the Oregon coast. In Cannon Beach. The one place he loves. The one place he never wants to see again. Micah goes to Cannon Beach intending to sell the house and keep his past buried, but the nine thousand sqaure-foot home instantly feels like it's part of him. Then he meets Sarah Sabin at the local ice cream shop... Maybe Cannon Beach can be a perfect weekend getaway. But strange things happen in the house. Things Micah can't explain. Things he can barely believe. All the locals will say is that the house is 'spiritual.' Unsettling, since Micah's faith slipped away like the tide years ago. And then he discovers the shocking truth: the home isn't just spiritual, it's a physical manifestation. Of his soul. Will Micah run--or will he risk everything to see what waits for him deep within the house's rooms?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Rooms by James L. Rubart was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,188,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible