Die a Little: A Novel by Megan Abbott

Die a Little: A Novel (edition 2014)

by Megan Abbott (Author)

By the author of Dare Me and The End of Everything Femmes fatales. Obsessive love. Double crosses. How does a respectable young woman fall into Los Angeles's hard-boiled underworld? Shadow-dodging through the glamorous world of 1950s Hollywood and its seedy flip side, Megan Abbott's debut, Die a Little, is a gem of the darkest hue. This ingenious twist on a classic noir tale tells the story of Lora King, a schoolteacher, and her brother Bill, a junior investigator with the district attorney's office. Lora's comfortable, suburban life is jarringly disrupted when Bill falls in love with a mysterious young woman named Alice Steele, a Hollywood wardrobe assistant with a murky past. Made sisters by marriage but not by choice, the bond between Lora and Alice is marred by envy and mistrust. Spurred on by inconsistencies in Alice's personal history and possibly jealous of Alice's hold on her brother, Lora finds herself lured into the dark alleys and mean streets of seamy Los Angeles. Assuming the role of amateur detective, she uncovers a shadowy world of drugs, prostitution, and ultimately, murder. Lora's fascination with Alice's "sins" increases in direct proportion to the escalation of her own relationship with Mike Standish, a charmingly amoral press agent who appears to know more about his old friend Alice than he reveals. The deeper Lora digs to uncover Alice's secrets, the more her own life begins to resemble Alice's sinister past--and present. Steeped in atmospheric suspense and voyeuristic appeal, Die a Little shines as a dark star among Hollywood lights.… (more)
Member:Thebeautifulsea
Title:Die a Little: A Novel
Authors:Megan Abbott (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2014), 256 pages
Rating:***1/2

Work Information

Die a Little by Megan Abbott

She wasn't just a B-girl, she was carrying the whole ugly world in her eyes.”
― Megan Abbott, Die a Little

review to follow.

Luscious is the word that comes to mind.

I read this because I found it on Goodreads. So glad I joined this site.

So I have read several of Abbott's books with "Dare Me" being my favorite, so far at least.

I happen to like my books dark. And I love Noir. I also love Noir movies. And then there is this: the cover.

The COVER ART on this..I did not wan t to even read one page at first..just stare at this exquisitec cover. Covers matter..ALOT!

But in terms of the book..maybe I have just read to much domestic Noir and seen to many Noir films. I mean..honestly..I did not love it. The first part of it was really draggy and yes I did skim. Alot.

But it picks up. I LOVE the gritty nature of Die a Little. The imagery the book creates is captivating.

But the story really isn't. I guess I expected something a bit more unpredictable and in places, honestly yes, I skipped over or skimmed because some parts were dull.

But here is something else: this book..it is a movie waiting to happen. Assuming it has not happened already.

You see the book ..the images..before you while reading it. It's all there..and I have a feeling I would LOVE the film version of this. Very much. Has it been made into a film yet? Because it would be a damn great one.

I do not say that to often but Abbott is a very visual writer. And this book strongly reminded me of a film called "House of Games", the ultimate Noir film. If you have not heard of it, watch it or read Roger Ebert's review of it. He captures it perfectly.

So that is what I imagine this material could look like on screen. It is viv id and as dark as an alley way at midnight. It just took an awful long time to get going.

I would give it 3.5 stars. I think this might be a book I need to read again. If you like Noir yes read it. This is one that is best read at night, with a glass of wine, listening to the night sounds outside your house or apartment or wherever you live.

And someone needs to turn this into a film. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 5, 2022 |
A noir debut set in 1950’s Hollywood with a sister, Lora, having suspicions of her brother’s new wife, Alice, not being quite who she seemed. When suspicious characters start materialising into their life and inconsistencies in Alice’s story then maybe it’s time for Lora to find out what’s really going on.

This is an incredibly slow-paced story with about 90% of the book being setup until the final rushed ending. Although the writing was good and the setting quite atmospheric and evocative of the time period I just wanted something to actually happen. The character’s though are a little flat and I cared little about who would or wouldn’t make it to the end. All this being said, I did finish it as I still wanted to find out what happened in the end and won’t be giving up on the author as I know she is highly rated and this was just her debut effort. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | May 19, 2022 |
A wonderfully grimy slice of noir. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
A sumptuous, smoky cool debut from 2005 that set the blueprint for the rest of Abbott's noir melodramas. Abbott succeeds wildly in subverting the femme fatale trope, centering the narrative on a twisted, messy relationship between two women in 1950s Hollywood (where else?). Yet, I found myself wishing that the water would swirl down the drain a little faster. ( )
  Mirror_Matt | Feb 3, 2022 |
I just finished reading this, my first Megan Abbott, and it is still running through my veins. I love the thrill of a great book, and this delivered all. It is pulp with literary quality, entertaining with an old 1950’s detective paperback vibe. It fits into this “female noir” category that I am still trying to define for myself, but that I think it is my new love in fiction genre. ( )
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
For Josh.
Later, the things I would think about.

Megan Abbott is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,787,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible