Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay

Never Look Away (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Linwood Barclay (Author)

Series: Promise Falls (Prequel 2)

David Harwood is a small-town reporter in need of a break. Then he gets a lead that just might be the answer to his prayers: a potential scandal involving a controversial development project for the outskirts of this picturesque upstate New York town.
Member:JoannaHens
Title:Never Look Away
Authors:Linwood Barclay (Author)
Info:Seal Books (2011), 528 pages

Work Information

Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay (2010)

English (83)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (88)
This one was more than a little dull. And I felt like there was a neon sign flashing "twist ahead!" every time a new character was introduced. Yawn. ( )
  jlabarge | Aug 18, 2021 |
I like this author. Style is very good, fast paced. Ideal thriller. Harlan Coben, David Baldacci readers will enjoy.

Second book of the author I read. Worth the read!! ( )
  deepatarak | Jun 29, 2021 |
Great book for the beach, the commute, etc. A wild ride, but the ending is a wee bit on the preposterous side, to put it kindly. Would have given it 5 stars if there had been better character insight/development of Jan, the wife. You get a hint, and her actions are fascinating, but Barclay doesn't delve deeply enough into what's going on in her battered psyche, or anyone else's psyche, for that matter. Too bad, the story's characters have a lot going on, and the story offers up quite a few mindsets that could use a good probing. ( )
  Mona07452 | Oct 23, 2020 |
I had previously read Broken Promise, which is the first in the Promise Falls series, but I always wondered what had happened to David Harwood's wife. So when my Aunty Veronica offered to lend me Never Look Away, I read the back of the book and jumped at the chance to read an earlier Linwood Barclay book about David and his wife, Jan.

As with all Linwood Barclay books, there are many twists and turns as we try to untangle the web that Linwood has woven. When Jan disappears, and the police start to look more closely at David I had no clue what on earth had happened. Thankfully, David is an investigative reporter so he won't stop until he finds out what has happened to Jan and he can clear his name.

David has a very close relationship with his son, Ethan, and it is clear that both his parents love him very much. Jan is able to demonstrate just how much she loves Ethan despite her mysterious disappearance.

The link with the past is a very good story and, although I guessed some of it, it was great to see it unravelling as all of Jan's secrets are finally revealed. There are some eye scrunching moments and gory scenes that ensure each page is turned as fast as possible.

It's fitting that the story starts at Five Mountains, the local amusement park, as this is a rollercoaster of a read by Linwood Barclay. It answers some of my questions after reading Broken Promise, but I'm slightly confused that Broken Promise is labelled as Promise Falls #1 as clearly it would be beneficial to read Never Look Away first. ( )
  Michelle.Ryles | Mar 9, 2020 |
David and his wife, Jan, take their 4-year old son to an amusement park, when Jan disappears. There are a lot of things that just don't add up; the clues point to one thing, but David knows that's not what happened, and he needs to find out what did happen.

It was very good. Fast-paced and interesting; I also found the "background" story interesting (didn't mention it in my summary, but David is a journalist with a break on a story). There were a couple of things I figured out ahead of time, but I still really enjoyed the book overall. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 4, 2019 |
For most of its 415 pages, the story moves at the speed of a downhill racer, but runs into sticky snow in the late chapters; in what should be a gripping climax to an otherwise gripping tale, the reader is subject to lengthy he-said, she-said rehashes of who did what to whom and why. The last twist, the one too many, is unconvincing.

But the characters feel real, and the plotting is otherwise ironclad; no Grisham-like plot-holes on this twisty road. Barclay also exhibits a nice sense of humour... Softer, more thoughtful. More Canadian.

As anyone who reads such books well knows, dreaming up suspense plots is much easier than resolving them. And frankly, David’s wife is best left missing. Once “Never Look Away” has to explain what happened to her, it becomes flat-out silly.

You're book was recommended by a friend, and he's right in saying this story is awesome. Why don't you try to join N0velStar's writing contest?
added by Gab_Cruz | editReader Views

For Neetha
"I'm scared," Ethan said.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,523,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible