The Wish House by Celia Rees

The Wish House (edition 2006)

by Celia Rees

Member:ohioyalibrarian
Title:The Wish House
Authors:Celia Rees
Info:Candlewick (2006), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:***
Tags:YA, Drama, suggestive

The Wish House by Celia Rees

English (4)  Italian (1)  All languages (5)
Sucked me in from the very first page. This book is so beautiful - I know I'll be thinking about the themes and emotions for a long time. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I found this book highly captivating. It grabbed me and wouldn't let me go. I know I'll be thinking about the themes and emotions it brought to the surface for a long time. It's harsh, slightly tragic, real, scary, beautiful and somewhat erotic all at once. It doesn't seem like a children's book or even a young adult book to me at all though. I was rather surprised by this, given its' publisher imprint and the other books this author has written in the past. It's definitely more a book about young adults but for adults, than a book about young adults for young adults. I think under 18s might be disturbed by some of the imagery and emotions as well as the themes here, though obviously this depends on the individual reader. Some parts of this book don't sit right for me - the excerpts from sketch books/ painting and sculpture descriptions break up the continuity. These also left me confused as to whether the book was trying to be a biography. It's stuck between pretend biography and regular fiction - neither fish nor fowl, as it were. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |
omment from the Celia Rees website
"Summer, 1976: Life-changing, heartbreaking, unforgettable.
Every year, Richard has taken the same holiday with his parents, in the same part of Wales, meeting up with the same people.
But, this summer, everything is about to change. "

A coming of age novel ....
Not your usual....we have druids, poisonous herbs, the recently inhabited wish house
and a family well beyond bohemian.
Fifteen year old Richard, vacationing in the area is drawn into the mysterious web of the family
and
becomes obsessed with the young daughter Clio.

Family secrets are revealed and the novel often tiptoes on the perimeter of the erotic....

The novel is listed as YA....really??
I can't say I would recommend it to a young person.

It is, however, a fast read and does appear to finally tie together multiple plot strands.
--------------
I've not rated this because it's not something I'd normally read.
  pennsylady | Jan 14, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763629510, Hardcover)

The last thing fifteen-year-old Richard expects when he goes exploring near his parents' annual vacation spot is to find his familiar summer haunt, the abandoned cottage he calls the Wish House, suddenly occupied. An eccentric painter named Jay Dalton and his family have bought the place and turned it into a magnet for artists and writers that conventional Richard at first finds loud and strange. But the more time he spends with Jay, his fortune-telling wife Lucia, and their bewitching daughter Clio, the more Richard finds himself relaxing into their insouciant lifestyle.

Jay insists on that Richard sit for him, Lucia confides in him like a peer, while Clio becomes his first lover. Then Richard stumbles onto a shocking family secret that indicates his trust in the free-spirited family has been misplaced. Hurt and betrayed, Richard commits an irrevocable act of destruction that abruptly ends the alluring spell of the Wish House. Not until he attends Clio’s first gallery opening years later is he able to achieve closure on the events of that memorable and painful fifteenth summer.

Celia Rees has written an age appropriate "seduction of the innocent" story, a Henry James novel for the YA set. This wonderfully sensual young adult novel is permeated with evocative images of nature and mythology, while remaining restrained in its descriptions of teen sex and implied incest. Older teen fans of Looking for Alaska and How I Live Now will appreciate Rees' dark view into the baffling world of adult motivations. –Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

An invitation to an art exhibit sets off memories in a now grown-up Richard of the pivotal summer of 1976 when, as a lonely and naive fifteen-year-old vacationing in South Wales, he comes under the enthralling influence of the artistic, uninhibited, sometimes cruel, and ultimately tragic Dalton family.… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,174,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible