Chromosome 6 by Robin Cook

Chromosome 6 (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Robin Cook

Member:mmiller112
Title:Chromosome 6
Authors:Robin Cook
Info:The Berkley Publishing Group (1998), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 460 pages

Chromosome 6 by Robin Cook (1997)

Ape House by Sara Gruen (kathylcsw)
    kathylcsw: This is also about humans using bonobos for their own purposes.

English (14)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (16)
The book starts off with a promising premise of a doctor worrying about his ethically horrifying invention in a darker, deserted part of Africa. Parallel to it, the two famous pathologists - Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery - work on an intriguing, but almost clueless murder of a mobster. These two parallel story lines unfold neatly, intertwining the characters in the process.

Though the investigation of the two pathologists was awesome, it also faltered the pace of the story. Cook stuffed an excruciating amount of failed attempts at finding clues to further the investigation.

Kevin had the best character development. So did Jack, Laurie and Lou.

On the other hand, some characters seemed forced in the story. I tried really hard, but couldn't find a reason for Candace to exist, except to constantly agree with Melanie and act as a wonder object for the bonobos.
Also, why the hell would Warren and Natalie land themselves in the whole mess without any motivation?

However, the most infuriating character development was of Melanie. If I were Kevin, I would have shot her at some point. Her teenage-ish, stubborn 'bravery' landed her (and her buddies) on hot waters several times. But when the need arose, she cried out like a baby.

The most disappointing part, however, is the climax. It seemed like the author lost interest in the novel by the time he reached the end, and wrapped it up hastily. The protagonists seemed to breezed through Cogo, where I had expected a lot of action to happen, given the presence of the bonobos. Also, fates of a lot of characters went unexplained; to the extent where I had a feeling that the novel was missing several pages in the end. And it was an e-book.

Robin Cook's novels are always double-edged swords for me. Whenever I begin one, I am sure I will come across several gripping plot elements. Accompanying that excitement, however, is a fear that the storyline will falter somewhere for no reason at all.
I had better hopes for this novel, but it was only slightly better than my previously read disaster 'Mutation'. ( )
  jayesh.bhoot | Aug 15, 2017 |
The story was ok, nothing great, but the end wrapped up so fast that I felt like I had whiplash. A poorly executed ending ruined completely for me. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
From Library Journal The ever-popular and prolific Cook (Fatal Cure, Audio Reviews, LJ 9/15/94) sets his latest medical thriller in Equatorial Guinea, Africa. Dr. Kevin Marshall worries that he has traded his ethics for a gleaming futuristic lab. Meanwhile, stateside, Dr. Jack Stapleton, a forensic pathologist, is deeply troubled by an unidentified body that is missing various parts. Jack and his colleague, Laurie, identify the corpse as that of a Mafia kingpin, and their investigation leads them to Africa. Narrator Boyd Gaines is superb. The producer, however, would do well to abandon the tiresome and distracting sound effects that serve only to lend an old-time radio feel to the production. Missing are end-of-side cues prompting listeners to flip or change tapes. For popular fiction collections.?Terrill Persky, Naperville, Ill.
Copyright 1997 Reed Business Information, Inc. From The good doctor exploits organ transplants and genetic engineering in a novel published to coincide with the airing of the NBC-TV movie Robin Cook's Invasion in April. __ ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
work was much slower than expected yesterday and today and so i had a lot more time to read than i thought i would - still, i flew through this book. it was fun, interesting, and while not great literature, much better than i expected. i liked the science, most of which was simply explained and actually plausible (except, i think, for the *spoiler* rapid evolution of the bonobos, which, even with the chromosomal help, seemed a bit too speeded up).

*end spoiler* i like that robin cook seems to be one of the only thriller writers that i've read (and i haven't read that many, i suppose) who is completely able to write his books with no sexism, with no gender stereotyping of his characters, with strong, leading, flawed women and equally strong, flawed, and non threatened men. also i really like that what he does with the medical and science stuff is generally to make it a moral or ethical issue, wrapped up in the thriller. i last read two of his books probably 15 or 20 years ago (the year of the intern and coma and remember liking them, remember strong women, remember them factoring into my decision (or backing up my decision, i can't remember which) not to go to medical school, but remember thinking they were pretty strong books. in spite of a couple of cheesy parts in this book, and the overuse of the word "quipped," i would be quite happy to read him again. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 2, 2013 |
An odd book, in the last episode (Contagion) Dr Jack Stapleton was a cynical & sarcastic risk taker whose banter I quite enjoyed, in the opening of this book suddenly he has the appetite for risk of a 90 year old with osteoporosis, then suddenly he decides to flit off to Africa, with his own money, and 5 additional people, 2 of which were complete strangers he's just met. It all was a bit ramshackle.

On the medical side of things, the areas of the book which dealt with forensic pathology and transgenics were interesting but the overall impression was a handful of narratives grouped together where there were holes in the plot line. It wasn't a bad book, but I definitely preferred the other Robin Cook books where realism takes a higher priority compared to sensationalism. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Mar 30, 2013 |

Robin Cookprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sallamo, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Audrey and Barbara, Thanks for being wonderful mothers
Given a Ph.D. in molecular biology from MIT that had been earned in close cooperation with the Massachusetts General Hospital, Kevin Marshall found his squeamishness regarding medical procedures a distinct embarrassment.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425161242, Mass Market Paperback)

Behind the headlines on cloning--Dr. Robin Cook blends fact with fiction in one of his most terrifying bestsellers...

Chromosome 6 is a prophetic thriller that challenges the medical ethics of genetic manipulation and cloning in the jungles of equatorial Africa, where one mistake could bridge the gap between man and ape--and forever change the genetic map of our existence...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

A medical thriller about an African farm where genetically engineered subhumans are bred to provide organs for transplants. The racket is uncovered by two doctors investigating a bizarre murder in New York City.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,561,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible