The Crowfield Curse by Pat Walsh

The Crowfield Curse

by Pat Walsh

English (16)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (17)
Set in a medieval English abbey by an author who cares about setting, character, and period details, this novel still lands squarely in fantasy, as an occasional hob or fairy (some benevolent, some not) and even an angel share the wintery landscape with Will, an orphan who lives at the abbey in exchange for his work, the kind healer Brother Snail & the surly cook, Brother Martin, as well as the Prior & other characters who live there. In the nearby woods there is ancient magic and a mystery buried many years ago which Will must help unfurl.

Not only is this story terrific, it was a pleasure to read an author who enjoys precise language and who goes to lengths to create the feel of a 14th century monastery. There is a helpful glossary at the end which explains the cycles of the monks' days as well as terms no longer in common use.

Highly recommended. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

Highly recommended. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
Carson and Churchill - both out as of Aug. 3
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I was excited to read this book, it looked like an excellent middle grade historical fantasy with some creepiness added. It ended up being okay, but I had some trouble engaging with both the story and the characters. There is a second book in the series called The Crowfield Demon.

Will is sent to live at Crowfield Abbey after his parents die. There he works in the kitchen for the monks. While in the forest one day he hears a cry for help and discovers a hobgoblin, apparently Will has the Sight and can see the Fey. When some strange visitors show up at the Abbey, Will is drawn into a mystery involving a buried angel and some evil Fey.

I had a lot of trouble reading this book, but I also had a lot of trouble figuring out exactly why. The book is a quick read and the storyline is interesting. The book is kind of creepy and very much a historical fantasy mystery of sorts.

I found Will to be a very uninspiring character. He just came across as very dull to me, the only thing that made him really stand out from anyone else was the fact that he had the Sight. I just had a lot of trouble engaging with him as a character.

The story also lacked description, so the scenes never really came alive. I had trouble picturing the settings and again trouble engaging with the story. The whole thing was just told in a very dry way.

I did find the story intriguing. It was interesting how the monks put religious beliefs toward explanations of their fey neighbors. The story wasn’t completely predictable and there is some interesting world building going on.

Overall this was an okay read. The story is interesting enough, but it is told in a very dry way and the characters were hard to engage with. By the time I finished reading the story I forgot it, it was just that kind of book...a very forgettable read. I will not be reading the sequel to this series. I was kind of hoping that this would be a book similar in tone to The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney, but that series is much better than this one. ( )
  krau0098 | Aug 20, 2013 |
  BRCSBooks | Apr 9, 2013 |

It's 1347 and fifteen-year-old Will, an orphan boy, lives at Crowfield Abbey. Sent into the forest to gather wood, he rescues instead, a creature from a trap - a hob, who shares with Will a terrible secret. Somewhere in the forest behind the abbey where he lives,is a grave. And buried deep in the snow is an angel. But how can an angel die? What has it to do with the monks of the Abbey? When two hooded strangers arrive at Crowfield asking questions about the angel's grave. Will is drawn into a world of dangerous Old Magic. The Crowfield Feather was short-listed for the Times Children's Fiction Competition in 2008. This is a stunning debut novel and the first of a two part series.

In 1347, when fourteen-year-old orphan William Paynel, an impoverished servant at Crowfield Abbey, goes into the forest to gather wood and finds a magical creature caught in a trap, he discovers he has the ability to see fays and becomes embroiled in a strange mystery involving Old Magic, a bitter feud, and ancient secrets.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,976,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible