Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman

Smoke and Mirrors (original 1998; edition 2005)

by Neil Gaiman

9,236117613 (3.99)1 / 192
A collection of fantasy stories and poems. In Chivalry, a woman discovers the Holy Grail in a secondhand shop, in Murder Mysteries, an angel visiting Los Angeles provides the inside story on Lucifer's revolt against God, and there are revisionist stories on Snow White and Santa Claus.
Member:stephenlang
Title:Smoke and Mirrors
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Headline Book Publishing (2005), Paperback, 400 pages

Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions by Neil Gaiman (1998)

English (115)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (118)
Neil Gaiman’s Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illustrations collects short stories and poems that Gaiman previously published elsewhere. Among the more stand-out works are “The Wedding Present” – which Gaiman included in the introduction – “Chivalry” – about the Holy Grail, “Troll Bridge,” “The Goldfish Pool and Other Stories,” “Queen of Knives,” “Shoggoth’s Old Peculiar,” “Only the End of the World Again,” “Bay Wolf,” “We Can Get Them For You Wholesale,” “One Life, Furnished in Early Moorcock,” “The Sweeper of Dreams,” “Vampire Sestina,” “Murder Mysteries,” and “Snow, Glass, Apples.” The works are all haunting and sweet; they take the reader to new places and leave them changed after the reading. Two stories reference the works of Lovecraft, one the works of Michael Moorcock, and a few have been adapted into other works. Both “Troll Bridge” and “Snow, Glass, Apples” later became graphic novels, “Murder Mysteries” became both an audio drama and a comic book, and “We Can Get Them for You Wholesale” has been adapted a few times as independent films. Gaiman fans will love this collection of his early work. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Mar 12, 2021 |
Unsettling in the best way. ( )
  fidgetyfern | Feb 23, 2021 |
Some of these stories I really liked... others not so much. Pretty typical for a book of short stories in that, to me. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Quite the mixed bag here. I enjoyed about 4 or 5, was ambivalent about most, and against a few, so overall a moderate success, I think. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
It's no secret I'm a Neil Gaiman fan. Love the man. And his audiobooks are always fantastic and Smoke and Mirrors is no exception. Gaiman's narration is spot on. As always when I listen to him tell a story, it feels like he's letting me in on a secret. You know, telling me a special tale that not many people know. I'd heard many of the stories in this collection in other places; but lots were brand new to me. They also opened up some new insights into Neil Gaiman that I hadn't seen before. This collection highlights Gaiman's unique talent and masterful ability to tell a story. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Potter, J.K.Cover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But where there's a monster there's a miracle.

Dragons Are Too Seldom

Ogden Nash
For Ellen Datlow and Steve Jones
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate -- The cards and stars that tumble as they will. (introduction, actual first words of book).
Mrs. Whitaker found the Holy Grail; it was under a fur coat. (Chivalry, first line of out first story in book)
Maar waar een monster is, is ook een wonder - Ogden Nash - Dragons are too seldom
'Ik bedoel' zei ze, 'dat een mens het niet kan helpen dat ie groter wordt.' - 'Eén mens niet, misschien,'' zei Wiggel Waggel, 'maar twee wel. Met de benodigde hulp had je het bij 7 kunnen houden.' - Lewis Carroll - Achter de spiegel

Collects these stories:
"Chivalry"
"Nicholas Was ..."
"The Price"
"Troll Bridge"
"Don't Ask Jack"
"The Goldfish Pool and Other Stories"
"The White Road"
"Queen of Knives"
"Changes"
"The Daughter of Owls"
"Shoggoth's Old Peculiar"
"Virus"
"Looking for the Girl"
"Only the End of the World Again"
"Bay Wolf"
"We Can Get Them for You Wholesale"
"One Life, Furnished in Early Moorcock"
"Cold Colors"
"The Sweeper of Dreams"
"Foreign Parts"
"Vampire Sestina"
"Mouse"
"The Sea Change"
"When We Went to See the End of the World by Dawnie Morningside, Age 11 1/4"
"Desert Wind"
"Tastings"
"Babycakes"
"Murder Mysteries"
"Snow, Glass, Apples"

AR 5.7; 15 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,128,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible