The Evolution Of Desire - Revised Edition 4…

The Evolution Of Desire - Revised Edition 4 (original 1994; edition 2003)

by David M. Buss

With two new chapters by the author.If we all want love, why is there so much conflict in our most cherished relationships? To answer this question, says noted psychologist David Buss, we must look into our evolutionary past. Based on the most massive study of human mating ever undertaken, encompassing more than ten thousand people of all ages from thirty-seven cultures worldwide, The Evolution of Desire is the first book to present a unified theory of human mating behavior. Now in a revised and updated edition, Buss's classic presents the latest research in the field, including startling new discoveries about the evolutionary advantages of infidelity, orgasm, and physical attractiveness.… (more)
Member:literique
Title:The Evolution Of Desire - Revised Edition 4
Authors:David M. Buss
Info:Basic Books (2003), Paperback, 320 pages

The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating by David M. Buss (1994)

Need scientific confirmation of what you know about male/female interaction? Read this book. Buss and his colleagues surveyed thousands of people all over the world to find out what men and women want in a spouse and in a short-term sexual partner, how men and women compete for mates, how they try to attract the opposite sex, and what causes conflict in relationships. He then explains that these traits have evolved because people who have them are more successful in reproduction, thus passing along the genes for these traits. Among other subjects, he discusses why men don't tend to file sexual harassment complaints, domestic violence, and infidelity.

It is an interesting and well-researched book, and it is very accessible to a layperson (like me). I think it is helpful to have some familiarity with basic evolutionary theory because my one criticism of the book is that Buss could have tied the traits he observed back to the idea of reproductive success (the evolutionary mechanism) more frequently. The book is well-organized. ( )
3 vote carlym | Sep 18, 2008 |
I read this book at a fairly busy point in life, so it took me about two months to get through it. I was glad to finish the last page, but at the same time I wanted to know more. I know that by taking so long to read the book, I've forgotten some of the stuff that happened earlier, but I DO know that I really enjoyed it. It's that weird part of me that enjoys studying human sexuality.

This book is considerably less complicated than Buss and Malamuths SEX, POWER, CONFLICT. Even though Buss is an apparent fountain of knowledge about this topic, he is able to pare it down into language that even a person unschooled in the realm of psychology can understand. He's clear and straightforward, and does not seem to have any huge biases--his major beef seems to be with those who hold with the feminist perspective, which is, I believe, totally understandable. All in all, a good read. ( )
1 vote MissLizzy | Mar 29, 2007 |
For Cindy
Chapter 1 -- Origins of Mating Behavior -- Human mating behavior delights and amuses us and galvanizes our gossip, but it is also deeply disturbing. Few domains of human activity generate as much discussion, as many laws, or such elaborate rituals in all cultures. Yet the elements of human mating seem to defy understanding. Women and men sometimes find themselves choosing mates who abuse them psychologically and physically. Efforts to attract mates often backfire. Conflicts erupt between couples, producing downward spirals of blame and despair. Despite their best intentions and vows of lifelong love, half of all married couples end up divorcing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,536,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible