The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out…

The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (2009)

by Jonas Jonasson, Jonas Jonasson

Series: The One Hundred Year Old Man (1)

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Iudita)
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (JenMDB)
    Forrest Gump by Winston Groom (2810michael)
    Gold by Dan Rhodes (Anonymous user)
    Candide by Voltaire (gennyt)
    gennyt: Both books contain extraordinary, unlikely picaresque adventures combined with humorous satire on the politics, wars and religious issues of their time.
    Popular Music from Vittula by Mikael Niemi (hilge)
    hilge: Similar Scandinavian characters are found in both books and both will make you laugh.
    Callisto by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (Alliebadger)
    Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson (Anonymous user)
    Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller (kristenl)
    kristenl: Both stories are centered around old men, and both contain historical flashbacks.
    A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: More improbable events on an epic scale
    Kurz nach 4 by Ulrich Becher (chwiggy)
    Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant (JenMDB)
    This is Life by Dan Rhodes (Anonymous user)
    All Quiet on the Orient Express by Magnus Mills (Anonymous user)
    Exit Lines by Joan Barfoot (Booktrovert)
    Booktrovert: Exit Lines, set in a nursing home, is a thoughtful, honest book about human inter-connectivity and longevity.
    The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Lighthearted Nordic stories with no particular destination or hurry to get there.
    Up and Down by Terry Fallis (JenMDB)
    Samlede skrøner II by Jørn Riel (2810michael)

English (257)  Spanish (22)  Dutch (17)  French (14)  German (13)  Catalan (7)  Italian (5)  Norwegian (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (347)

On his one hundredth birthday, Allen Karlsson has better things to do than to wait around for the town and media outlets to celebrate his centenarian event.

What starts off innocently enough (as innocent as breaking out of an old folks home can be), quickly picks up speed as a wild run through time and the countryside.

Along his dash, Karlsson picks up some unlikely traveling companions (including a long haired would-be vet and an elephant named Sonya.

The present day caper (or string of capers as the case may be), is told in multiple third person view points and is sprinkled with more than a handful of historical flashbacks, morphing Allan into a likely contender for Sweden's Forrest Gump.

The story is an easy read, though there are inumberable moving parts. At one point, I thought to myself that I should have kept a running list of characters and their back stories.

None of the characters are particularly likeable in their own right but mushed together and tossed in an adventure, they made for a delightful pack.

I have the second book on my night stand, at the moment, as an ARC and though I can possibly imagine it will top the first, I’m more than ready to find out if it holds up to the wild and scandal of the initial installment.

This isn’t my usual genre but I’m attempting to stretch myself a little bit, this year. If I could be guaranteed that all of my adult literally stories would be on par with Jonas Jonasson, it would be much of a challenge at all. ( )
  iwriteinbooks | Jan 15, 2019 |
Think positive, and all will be good.
Whatever happens, should happen anyway.
That's how Alan believes and works for a hundred years, and this method entirely justifies itself throughout his life. Alan Carlson, a 100-year-old Swede, comes out of his bedroom window on his 100th birthday, shortly before his planned birthday party. The book tells the story of his current adventures in 2005, from the moment he fled from his room onwards.
This is a funny and exciting book, but towards the end, a little bit loses rhythm and starts repeating itself.
All in all, a lovely book called with fluency and pleasure. ( )
  Johenlvinson | Jan 13, 2019 |
Laugh-out-loud funny....

Allan Karlsson is the guest of honor at his 100th Birthday Party, but being the adventurous sort , he decides he'd rather not be present and so climbs out the window, walks to the bus station.

At the bus station he meets up w/ a Never Again gang member, "Bucket". Bucket needs to use the bathroom & asks Allan to watch his suitcase.

Allan's bus arrives and he decides to take the suitcase (filled w/ drug money) with him... thus embarking on a journey like no other... except for Allan, his entire life has been a journey like no other>

Allan has met, dined, and been of service to: Franco, Stalin, Harry Truman, Madame Chiang-Kai Shek, Chairman Mao Zedong, Kim Il Jong, a Shah of Iran, Winston Churchill, & Charles de Gaulle to name a few.

I enjoyed the historical references, as they explained quite a bit about world history; but I much preferred Allan's current adventures after climbing out the window of the old folks' home.

I also enjoyed the characters and being able to laugh throughout most all of the book.

It was absurd in places & a bit long, so I cut it down 1 star.... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 5, 2019 |
I had to put this aside because a bunch of books I was asked to review came in, but since I read most of it earlier in this year, I wanted to keep track of it in this year. Will come back and finish/rate when I can finish/rate it properl
  bookczuk | Dec 28, 2018 |
Initially I was captivated by this book enjoying the attitude and adventure of this centenarian. As his adventure continues the reader learns of Allan's life over the past 100 years. It then becomes a romp through important events in history. Allan's talent with explosives has him dining with El Franco, Truman, Mao Tse-tung etc. At this point I started to feel impatient as there was a certain predictability about where it was heading.
Others found this entertaining but I won't be seeking anymore by this author. ( )
  HelenBaker | Dec 25, 2018 |
Fast-moving and relentlessly sunny, the novel quickly develops into a romp that takes in all the major events of the 20th century. . . the plot is pleasingly nimble and the book's endearing charm offers a happy alternative to the more familiar Nordic noir.
added by mysterymax | editThe Guardian, Jane Housham (Jul 24, 2012)

Stalin synger svenske drikkeviser, og Truman blir dritings .Forrest Gump som hundreåring i ny bok.
ANMELDELSE: Han redder general Franco, riktignok etter først å ha plassert en bombe for å drepe ham. Han avverger et attentat mot Churchill, og gir Oppenheimer den endelige løsningen på formelen for atombomben.

Det rene soap altså. Samtidig er det — på sin høyst skakke og fantasifulle måte — en fantastisk reise gjennom forrige århundre.

Jonas Jonassen er intelligent, vittig og systemkritisk, der han harver over alt fra fjollete politifolk, rasehygienikere og despoters ideologiske paranoia. I en bok som gir håp om at alle har en fremtid, også hundreåringer.
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jan 18, 2011)

Nästan frustande av alla förvecklingar som ryms i debuten släpper jag snart taget en bit in i läsningen. Jag inser att precis vad som helst kan hända och kommer att göra det. Författaren tycks bubbla av infallsrikedom strösslad med lite sensmoral.

Jonas Jonassonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jonasson, Jonasmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Černík, ZbyněkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bjørnson, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bradbury, RodTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bree, Corry vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuhn, WibkeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podestà Heir, MargheritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Things are what they are, and whatever will be will be."
Ingen kunde trollbinda sin publik bättre än morfar där han satt på ljugarbänken, lätt framåtlutad över sin käpp och med munnen full av snus.
– Nej men... är det sant, morfar? sa vi häpna barnbarn.
– Di söm bara säjer dä söm ä sanning, ä inte vär' å höra på, svarade morfar.
Den här boken är till honom.
Dedication on first page: Ingen var bedre til at trykkebinde sine tilhørere end morfar, som han sad der på skrønebænken, lænet frem over stokken og med munden fuld af snus."Jamen ... passer det, morfar?" måbede vi børnebørn."Dem, der kuns siger noget, der passer, de er itt' værd å hør' på," svarede morfar.Denne bog er tilegnet ham.Jonas Jonassson
An extra thank you to Micke, Liza, Rixon, Maud and Uncle Hans.
- Jonas
Dedication on last page: En særlig tak til Micke, Lizza, Rixon, Maud og morbror Hans.
Monday, 2nd May 2005

You might think he could have made up his mind earlier, and been man enough to inform his surroundings of his decision. But Allan Karlsson had never been given to pondering things too long.
Man kan mene, at han burde have bestemt sig noget før, og at han burde have været mand for at meddele omgivelserne sin beslutning. Men det havde aldrig ligget til Allan Karlsson at gruble for længe over tingene.Altså nåede tanken kun lige at slå rod i den gamle mands hoved, før han åbnede vinduet til sit værelse i stueetagen på plejehjemmet i Malmköping i Sörmland og kravlede ud i bedet.
Allan Karlsson to Prosecutor Ranelid: "You can never have too much clarity."

Confined to a nursing home and about to turn 100, Allan Karlsson, who has a larger-than-life back story as an explosives expert, climbs out of the window in his slippers and embarks on an unforgettable adventure involving thugs, a murderous elephant and a very friendly hot dog stand operator.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,834,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible