The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal (1967)

by Desmond Morris

FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY EDITION - WITH A NEW PREFACE BY THE AUTHOR Here is the Naked Ape at his most primal - in love, at work, at war. Meet man as he really is: relative to the apes, stripped of his veneer as we see him courting, making love, sleeping, socialising, grooming, playing. Zoologist Desmond Morris's classic takes its place alongside Darwin's Origin of the Species, presenting man not as a fallen angel, but as a risen ape, remarkable in his resilience, energy and imagination, yet an animal nonetheless, in danger of forgetting his origins. With its penetrating insights on man's beginnings, sex life, habits and our astonishing bonds to the animal kingdom, The Naked Ape is a landmark, at once provocative, compelling and timeless. 'Original, provocative and brilliantly entertaining. It's the sort of book that changes people's lives' Sunday Times… (more)

English (27)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Turkish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (40)
I spent a year in Marbury, a non-authoritarian school modelled on Summerhill. It was all too weird for words. Next time any of you wonder why I don't know what continent Spain is in, or why places that are further away have times that are closer or...keep in mind that my geography text book for the year was The Naked Ape.

Well, I say it was that sort of school like it's to blame for my appalling ignorance of geography. If only I'd chosen a normal school instead. But truth be told, the next year I did chose an ordinary school - Methodist Ladies College - and blow me down if the maths teacher didn't turn out to be a girl who made us do things like write poetry. 'Your maths assignment for today is to write a poem in the style of Jabberwocky' It's moot whether my maths is worse than my geography.

Sigh. I wouldn't mind so much if my poetry was any good.

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
A very entertaining read, concerning probable reasons why we are the way we are. However, it is written from the male perspective. ( )
  Huaquera | Dec 18, 2018 |
An illustrated study of the "naked ape" or the homo sapiens or the human being as an aniaml with animal behaviors, instincts and pysical features.
  CenterPointMN | Jun 13, 2018 |
I loved this book for it strips away all the fluff and gooey goodness we pile on ourselves. By correlating our behavior to that of apes in the natural world, the author builds a case for understanding instincts. It helped me to understand the inherent primal yearnings of Homo sapiens sapiens!

One of my fav books on human behavior. A big surprise to me when I first read it. It was written before was a born and currently, of course a few things are dated but...I still see the relevance in it. I have loaned out 3 copies over the years that I won't see again. (They are actually on bookshelves, not stuffed in a box or tossed away in rubbish heap.)

Desmond Morris is an ethologist & a zoologist, not a psych doc, an evolutionary biologist or any other discipline that attempts to explain human behavior and how it intersects with sexuality. That shapes his viewpoint. ( )
  ErisPrincipia | Jun 11, 2018 |
[...] nonostante i grandi progressi tecnologici,noi siamo ancora fondamentalmente un semplice fenomeno biologico e,malgrado le nostre idee grandiose e l'alto concetto che abbiamo di noi stessi,siamo ancora degli umnili animali,soggetti a tutte le leggi fondamentali del comportamento animale. ( )
  AlessandraEtFabio | Dec 22, 2017 |

Morris, Desmondprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nicolaas, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rijk, Peter deEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are one hundred and ninety-three living species of monkeys and apes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible