Running with the Pack by Ekaterina Sedia

Running with the Pack (2010)

by Ekaterina Sedia (Editor)

Other authors: Peter Bell (Contributor), Marie Brennan (Contributor), Patricia Briggs (Contributor), Mike Brotherton (Contributor), Jesse Bullington (Contributor)18 more, Stephanie Burgis (Contributor), Amanda Downum (Contributor), Steve Duffy (Contributor), Karen Everson (Contributor), Jeffrey Ford (Contributor), Laura Anne Gilman (Contributor), Geoffrey H. Goodwin (Contributor), Samantha Henderson (Contributor), N. K. Jemisin (Contributor), C.E. Murphy (Contributor), Susan Palwick (Contributor), Mike Resnick (Contributor), Lawrence Schimel (Contributor), Maria V. Snyder (Contributor), Molly Tanzer (Contributor), Genevieve Valentine (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor), Erzebet YellowBoy (Contributor)

Lot of stories in it but I only read a few. Read Carrie Vaughn's. Tells how TJ became a werewolf, it was okay. Enjoyed Lili Saintcrow's Rookwood and Mrs. King. There was another story I read, but hey, its not coming to me - how well it stood out.....
The other stories seemed to be part of series I'm not following so didn't read. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Amazon preorder ( )
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
I'm sure somewhere out there you can find a story about a werewolf that has a happy ending. However, none of those stories are in this book. How awful and depressing. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
There's no major theme or gimmick for this anthology, beyond werewolves. That means the authors have full license to unleash their creativity, and produce a remarkably varied body of work.

Read the full review at Lupines and Lunatics.
  LupLun | Apr 20, 2012 |
I'm going to try something new for me and attempt to review each story as I read it. This is very much a review in progress.

Wild Ride - Carrie Vaughn
TJ is introduced in Kitty and the Midnight Hour where he's an established werewolf and has some power in the pack. This is the story of how he became a werewolf. I would have liked a longer story that really focused on the conflicts within TJ. This was more of a framework. But it's a good read and I'm glad to have learned more about the character.

Side-Effects May Include - Steve Duffy
This story almost killed my intention to review each story in the book. I didn't like it and part of that is because I read it in small bits during breaks and had forgotten about the framing. I felt the events were predictable and didn't know what was supposed to be new about it. That's one of the problems with themed anthologies like this. Of course the main character is turning into a werewolf! Knowing that detracted from the story. Again, I think I'd have liked this if it were longer. There is an interesting twist that could be explored and I liked that the MC didn't become a cuddly werewolf who held himself up to mortal morals.

Comparison of Efficacy Rates for Seven Antipathetics as Employed Against Lycanthropes - Marie Brennan

Haven't finished this one, but I love the concept. It's written as a factual, scientific study of methods of killing werewolves. And an essay from Patricia Briggs' website is cited :)
  devi | May 25, 2010 |

Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
YellowBoy, ErzebetContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mizioznikov, FelixCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segal, Stephen HCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There's a view of werewolves (espoused even on the back cover of this volume) as an expression of the animal and the dark in the usually supressed and mild-mannered civilized person; we like to think of ourselves as beasts, our wild instincts kept in check only by a thin veneer of social necessity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,871,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible