Being and Time by Martin Heidegger

Being and Time (original 1927; edition 2008)

by Martin Heidegger

The publication in 1927 of Martin Heidegger's magnum opus, Being and Time, signaled an intellectual event of the first order and had an impact in fields far beyond that of philosophy proper. Being and Time has long been recognized as a landmark work of the twentieth century for its original analyses of the character of philosophic inquiry and the relation of the possibility of such inquiry to the human situation. Still provocative and much disputed, Heidegger's text has been taken as the inspiration for a variety of innovative movements in fields ranging from psychoanalysis, literary theory, existentialism, ethics, hermeneutics, and theology. A work that disturbs the traditions of philosophizing that it inherits, Being and Time raises questions about the end of philosophy and the possibilities for thinking liberated from the presumptions of metaphysics. The Stambaugh translation captures the vitality of the language and thinking animating Heidegger's original text. It is also the most comprehensive edition insofar as it includes the marginal notes made by Heidegger in his own copy of Being and Time, and takes account of the many changes that he made in the final German edition of 1976. The revisions to the original translation correct some ambiguities and problems that have become apparent since the translation appeared fifteen years ago. Bracketed German words have also been liberally inserted both to clarify and highlight words and connections that are difficult to translate, and to link this translation more closely to the German text.… (more)
Member:nsantana
Title:Being and Time
Authors:Martin Heidegger
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 608 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:philosophy, existentialism, phenomenology, ontology

Being and Time by Martin Heidegger (1927)

English (21)  Spanish (3)  Italian (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (27)
Famous for being hard to understand, most of the challenge came from the fact that Heidegger liked to play Lewis Carroll and invent words and turns of phrase. A lot of them don't translate well into English from German, so the translators had to go and put in numerous footnotes that explain what it is he is talking about.

Since the problem of Being is very elemental it felt like he was doing a lot of Eastern Zen Buddhism stuff. Before you can appreciate the spoon, you must realize its essential "spooniness." It also felt like someone trying to rigorously prove an addition problem in arithmetic. First, you need Peano Axioms and then you have to understand Set Theory and all of this preliminary preparation. So a great portion of this book is spent explaining what is meant by Being. It was interesting, but I lost some patience with it when it kept going to Greek or Latin and not telling me what it was saying. It didn't even have footnotes to explain the Greek. It was in the index of the book telling you where it was from, but I have not read Heraclitus or the other items mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, I know that it is monumental and historical, but I just can't enjoy the book when I constantly need to refer to the previous pages or a dictionary. At least Heidegger uses the word "Dasein" so much that I remembered it. Perhaps I will come back to this one. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
I participated in a seminar on Being and Time in the heady spring of 1993. Any review of such has been neglected. A few crucial friends have since passed and the beloved moderator of such has been resituated. Herr H situates an opposition between the authentic being/existence and that of the Herd (Das Man). I had a wonderful ride, one which was doubtlessly larded by my age but also by this Incandescence of Dasein. It remains, almost 20 years later, so tough to bespoil that material. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Being and Time was Heidegger’s magnum opus. This was one of the most challenging books that I’ve ever come across, prolly because Heidegger's own use of German words and his coining of new terms and phrases were difficult for both German- and English-speaking readers (albeit excellent work in translation)
I don’t think this should be your first Heidegger book, you should be familiar with his writing before picking this one, because there’re so many new items of specialist Heideggerian terms introduced here, you’ll find it hard to keep up.
The book is part 1 of a 2 part work. Sadly, the part 2 never appeared/published (some says it exist somewhere)

It is frequently asserted that Heidegger (and in particular this book) is almost completely impossible to understand. This may well be true for those readers that attempt to 'dip in' to his works; or who speed read. There are no 'quick insights' to be gained from Heidegger. This requires substantial patience and concentration to read. You must be extraordinarily careful with Heidegger's definitions, as he invents much of his own terminology and uses familiar terms in unusual ways. Beyond that, the style of the book is extraordinarily dense.

I know this is sounding more and more like a warning than a review. Honestly I find it hard to review this, there are many good reviews here, and many great works done outside on this book that I recommend everyone to read for better understanding of this phenomenal masterpiece.
Someone here said it very well, that it was like losing my philosophical virginity. ( )
  iSatyajeet | Nov 21, 2018 |

iSatyajeet | Nov 21, 2018 |
Read this if you want saps to think you're smart. Seriously, Heidegger can't write for shit. This just seems like nonsense. I know that he was trying to say some impressively smart and interesting things, but there's a much better way of communicating it. I gave up half way (200 some odd pages out of a 400 some odd total)
If you are interested in his philosophy, I would recommend the Stanford Encyclopedia.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/heidegger/#BeiTim ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
Hva er det å være? Værensspørsmålet er ifølge Martin Heidegger det sentrale spørsmålet i all filosofi. I sitt hovedverk Væren og tid (1927) undersøker han væren i dens grunnleggende form, og ønsker å si noe om det faktiske livet menneskene lever. Martin Heidegger definerte sitt filosofiske prosjekt som fenomenologi – en metode for å få fenomenene til å vise seg selv slik de frem¬trer i vår bevissthet gjennom å sjalte ut ubegrunnede oppfatninger om dem. Heidegger viste i sine fenomenologiske analyser hvordan verden ikke er totali¬teten av alt som eksisterer, men en forståelseshorisont eller livsverden som ligger til grunn for hvordan de enkelte tingene fremtrer for oss. Helt sentralt i denne forståelses-horisonten står tiden. Språklig beveget Heidegger seg langt utenfor det etablerte. Han innførte stadig nye begreper – «tidslighet», «væren-i-verden», «tilhåndenhet» – og han gjorde lite for å forklare disse begrepene for leseren. Med filosofen Lars Holm-Hansens oversettelse og innledende essay bringes Heideggers hovedverk nå et godt stykke nærmere norske lesere.

Martin Heideggerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macquarrie, JohnTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, EdwardTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stambaugh, JoanTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmund Husserl in Verehrung und Freundschaft zugeeignet )Todtnauberg i. Bad. Schwarzwald zum 8. April 1926

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,625,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible