Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story…

Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Jeanette Winter (Author), Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)

Based on a true story. After her parents are taken away by the Taliban, young Nasreen stops speaking. But as she spends time in a secret school, she slowly breaks out of her shell.
Member:CarwathaLibrary
Title:Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan
Authors:Jeanette Winter (Author)
Other authors:Jeanette Winter (Illustrator)
Info:Beach Lane Books (2009), Edition: Illustrated, 40 pages

Work Information

Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan by Jeanette Winter (2009)

English (44)  Catalan (1)  All languages (45)
This is an engaging, beautifully illustrated story about the struggles girls in Afghanistan face just trying to go to school. Young children will relate to Nasreen and appreciate her bravery in trying to obtain an education.
  NCSS | Jul 23, 2021 |
Winter captures the story of a young girl living in modern day Afghanistan during times of war. Her father is dragged away by soldiers her mother goes out to find him leaving the Nasreen with her grandmother in a city with strict military regulations. As a result of loosing her parents, Nasreen turns inside herself and becomes silent, in an effort to save her granddaughter the grandmother enrolls her into a secret school for girls where she learns about the world outside her city walls.

This book encapsulates a story of war and how the lives of children are altered as a result. Through the pages of this book, the reader gets a glimpse of living through war while trying to remain hopeful. ( )
  marthafrivas | Jul 8, 2021 |
I loved this book and would love to add this to my classroom booklist in the future. I enjoyed the authors note, and the pictures. The story was very detailed and very personal because it gave real life experiences of what woman go through in Afghanistan when the Taliban took over.
For example, “ 70% of school teachers were women. 40% of doctors were women. 50% of students at Kabul University were women. After Taliban, women could t attend school, allowed to work, and had to dress from head to toe covered.”
This example shows how personal this story is and let’s readers see how truly lucky they are to be able to go to school, work, and dress how they want because some people are not lucky.
This story also shows the power of education because you have a young girl who has lost everything from the Taliban. Her father, mother, school, and luckily her grandma is able to send her to a secret school to get her to smile and talk again. In the end Marseen talks and shares everything she learns to her grandmother. Because of this act of kindness from her grandma, Marseen was able to learn. As a reader, you really see the power of learning and how it can really affect a child in a positive way.
One example that I love the story is from Marseens grandma and she says, “As for me, my mind is at ease. I still wait for my son and his wife. But the soldiers can never close the windows that have opened for my granddaughter.”
This example from the text is so powerful because it shows the courage of the grandma and the love that she has for her granddaughter. Even though they have lost lots of things because of the Taliban, that they will never take the education that is growing in Marseen.
Very powerful book with a great message and extremely detailed. This book is a must read! ( )
  AshleyHardy2 | Sep 18, 2018 |
In my opinion, "Nasreen’s Secret School" is a four-star rated children’s book. One reason I enjoyed this book was because of the authors note. Jeanette Winter, the author, did an incredible job relating to the book and showing the meaning behind the novel by incorporating an authors note and also including an “About the author” on the jacket sleeve of the book. The novel continues, “But the soldiers can never close the windows that have opened…” The text of the book really connects to the illustrations. In addition, another reason I enjoyed this book is because every line of the book is described clearly throughout the pictures shown. On this page where I found the quote, there is a lot of yellow incorporated to the drawing to show the brightness and happiness of how the school changed Narseen’s life. I also really liked how the authors note connected to the plot of the book itself. The authors note mentions the Global Fund for children which is a nonprofit organization committed to helping children around the world. The author used the organization as part of the book which is based on helping children find their happiness while being safe. In addition to the authors note, the jacket of the novel has a section with an “About the author”. Jeanette Winter has written many books for children based on true-life stories. A great, big question to ask would be if she has visited the places that she writes about in her children’s books. The message of the book is about overcoming a challenge in one’s life. The example in the book was about Nasreen and how she attending a secret school for girls. Women were not allowed to leave their home without a male relative as a chaperone. A quote that jumps out at me from reading the book was, “The soldiers came and changed everything. The art and music and learning are gone.” This shows how powerful the school was to her and how she connected to the school into her daily life. ( )
  NoyAfik | Sep 12, 2018 |
I decided to celebrate Banned Book Week by reading a small pile of frequently challenged books. This story is sort of interesting but the writing and art do nothing to really make it compelling. I find it hard to believe that something so bland would be challenged very much. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |

Young Nasreen has not spoken a word to anyone since her parents disappeared. In despair, her grandmother risks everything to enroll Nasreen in a secret school for girls. Will a devoted teacher, a new friend, and the worlds she discovers in books be enough to draw Nasreen out of her shell of sadness?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,457,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible