The Umbrella Academy: Dallas by Gerard Way

The Umbrella Academy: Dallas (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Gerard Way (Author)

"The team is despondent following the near apocalypse created by one of their own and the death of their beloved mentor Pogo. So it's a great time for another catastrophic event to rouse the team into action. Trouble is -- each member of the team is distracted by some very real problems of their own. The White Violin is bedridden due to an unfortunate blow to the head. Rumor has lost her voice -- the source of her power. Spaceboy has eaten himself into a near-catatonic state, while Number Five dives into some shady dealings at the dog track and The Kraken starts looking at his littlest brother as the key to unraveling a mysterious series of massacres . . . all leading to a blood-drenched face-off with maniacal assassins, and a plot to kill JFK!" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)
Member:MarkHiroki
Title:The Umbrella Academy: Dallas
Authors:Gerard Way (Author)
Info:Dark Horse Books (2009), Edition: Illustrated, 192 pages
Collections:Read
Tags:Libby

Work Information

The Umbrella Academy Volume 2: Dallas by Gerard Way (2009)

While better than volume 1, 'Dallas' still falls short of my expectations. The lone highlight, for me, was the presence of Hazel and Cha-Cha. The show and the comic were always going to be different creatures, but I was expecting some fresh angle of appreciation. Not for me.

Umbrella Academy

Next: 'Hotel Oblivion'

Previous: 'Apocalypse Suite' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 4, 2022 |
I enjoyed this one more than the introductory volume to this series. Much more nuanced, a little less gimmicky, and the characters are becoming far more interesting.

The supporting characters are simply a blast as well.

I mean, sugar-loving hitmen, whacked-out time travel, conspiring against one's self, JFK, nuclear annihilation, and a cute puppy...what more do you want? ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
The TV show deviates a lot, for obvious reasons, and fleshes out the academy members more. ( )
  Enno23 | Aug 15, 2021 |
Onwards and weirdwards!

When we last saw the Umbrella Academy, we were just getting to know all of the siblings for better or for worse and following them through saving the word one time.

This time around? We really get into time travel. If you're going to go all in on the craziness... well then let's go a few levels even more complicated!

Through that lens, we get even more about how disfunctional all of these people are.

There is the one who is an old man stuck in the body of a child:

The one who's weird and paranoid:

The one who dies... and gets over it:

And the one that can't talk:

(I hadn't caught that's why she was called Rumor before...)

And that doesn't even mention the violin one (she's paralyzed back in the first issues) or the giant space ape. Man these stories are weird and wonderful.

Speaking of, I think the thing I love the most are the crazy overblow 'comic booky' scenes:

And backstory:

In the end, it's wonderfully mad. And they realize that.

If you can't tell, I enjoyed this story. :D

jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Improves on the first book and lays some interesting seeds for when the series (hopefully) continues. ( )
  thoroughlyme | Apr 23, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,102,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible