New American Table

by Marcus Samuelsson, Heidi Sacko Walters

Acclaimed for the distinct and diverse cuisine he has created at Aquavit and Riingo, Samuelsson shares more than 300 recipes that embody the uniquely inclusive spirit of American cuisine, from high-end fare to street food; down-home Southern cooking to Southwestern flavors to Asian cuisines and beyond.… (more)

New American Table is a gorgeous, large format cookbook filled with lavish photography. There are not only sumptuous, color photos of many of the dishes, but also photos of markets, ingredients, people cooking and people eating. I had not heard of Marcus Samuelson but his recipes are unique, full of interesting and different flavors and flavor combinations.
I cooked three recipes from New American Table. Farro-Orange Salad was a hearty, filling salad with a well rounded flavor and texture. The combination of fennel, almonds and oranges was nice and I liked the accent of mint and basil. I couldn't find farro (anywhere!) so I used orzo instead. This highlights one of the problems I had with this cookbook - almost every recipe features exotic and difficult to find ingredients. Its a nice way to expose yourself to new foods, but read the recipes carefully ahead of time and make sure you can locate everything.

Spicy Braised Veal Shoulder was a beautiful, stew like dish with a delicious broth. The complex tastes came together nicely and this was a dish worthy of company. The veal was very tender and the mild spicy kick was perfect.
Granola Deluxe was my least favorite recipe. I didn't care for the overly sweet, grainy mexican chocolate and the nuts to oats ratio was off.
This would be a great cookbook for someone looking for some unusual tastes and a great introduction to new ingredients. ( )
  frisbeesage | Feb 2, 2010 |

Marcus Samuelssonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Walters, Heidi Sackomain authorall editionsconfirmed
Brissman, PaulPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,209,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible