The Lock Artist: A Novel by Steve Hamilton

The Lock Artist: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Steve Hamilton (Author)

Traumatized at the age of eight and pushed into a life of crime by reason of his unforgiveable talent--lock picking--Michael sees his chance to escape, and with one desperate gamble risks everything to come back home to the only person he ever loved, and to unlock the secret that has kept him silent for so long.… (more)
Member:ishiianu
Title:The Lock Artist: A Novel
Authors:Steve Hamilton (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Work Information

The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton (2010)

Recently added byprivate library, nab6215, SamSpayedPI, randmur, readingjag, JIBLOC, Adam_Gugliciello, mcbreader

English (57)  Danish (1)  All languages (58)
I have this as my second "tortured soul" Steve Hamilton book, with Joe Trumbull of "Night Work" being the first, I suppose. However, with some time away from the book I no longer think that Mike, the Lock Artist is tortured. In the end, this is a book of hope. Mike has hope. Throughout the bad things that happen to him regardless of whose fault it is, Mike wants the reader to keep in mind that he's going to be OK--as OK as he can be. "The Lock Artist" is amazing.

[This is the third of three Steve Hamilton book reviews.] ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Solid 3 stars, my eyes glazed over during all the technical bits on lockpicking though. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
The Lock Artist has been on my radar ever since I heard Steve Hamilton talk about it at a local author event. Now... if only my reaction to the book hadn't been so mixed.

Michael is a fantastic character, make no bones about it. Showing how those around him deal with someone who doesn't speak illuminates both Michael's character and theirs. Unfortunately, most of them seem to think he's some sort of freak, and once they learn what his talent is, all they can think of is how to exploit his skill at opening any sort of lock he's faced with. Michael is the sort of young man you root for. You want him to get away from the bad guys. You want him to find the peace and happiness he deserves. Because he is a good person trapped in the aftermath of the horrendous things that happened when he was eight years old. Michael behaves as though he has some sort of survivor's guilt, that he deserves whatever happens to him. That trauma seems to have stolen his will, and that's one thing that drove me nuts about The Lock Artist.

The other thing is the glacial unfolding of the story. It seemed to take forever for the story to finally arrive at the point where we learn what happened to Michael all those years ago, and once we find out what happened, a lot of Michael's behavior makes sense. Unfortunately, I'd begun to lose patience with the young man long before the reveal, which undoubtedly says more about me than it does the book. How many times does it take for a person to grow a spine and learn how to refuse to do something he knows is wrong? I know teenagers yearn for acceptance from their peers, but when those peers are repeatedly shown to be entitled jerks who don't care about anyone but themselves, how long does it take for the light bulb to go off over a person's head? In Michael's case, a long, long time.

Between the extremely slow pace and my exasperation with Michael, my enjoyment of The Lock Artist was blunted. However, your mileage may definitely vary-- especially if you have more patience than I do. Steve Hamilton has created a fantastic main character whom I shall remember for a long time, no matter how much he exasperated me. ( )
  cathyskye | Jul 18, 2021 |
suspense fiction (crime mystery romance). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This was a really good book and not the kind of thing I usually listen to. Mostly because I haven't known how to find it, I think. This is a straight up, modern fiction.

I found this one because I like the narrator. He has read a series I liked and I was hoping that what he likes to read is stuff that I like to listen to. I wasn't disappointed.

I became fond of the characters. I like Mike and would invite him to dinner. I'm still wondering what's going on with his uncle, Lido. By the time I found out what caused him to lose his voice, I was too wrapped up in the story to "look away" from the bad stuff. But there was another part where I had to pause and catch my breath before I could finish.

I will be looking for more by Steve Hamilton. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
To the Allens
You may remember me. Think back.  The summer of 1990.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,238,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible