Another Day in the Frontal Lobe: A Brain…

Another Day in the Frontal Lobe: A Brain Surgeon Exposes Life on the… (2006)

by Katrina Firlik

Probably worth reading if you are interested in medicine. It helps to not be a hypochondriac (I now suspect that I have both an AVM AND a brain tumor). On the other hand, it's poorly organized and sometimes the writing seems almost stream-of-consciousness. I kept wondering whether anyone edited it or someone just handed Firlik a legal pad and said, "You have an interesting job--write about it."

Firlik herself comes across as a bit arrogant, although I suppose that is just what happens when you spend your days operating on people's brains. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |

gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Interesting if you are curious about life as a neurosurgeon. Some of the details made me nausious, especially those about the guy who had maggots in his brain. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
It made me a little squeamish to read detailed, vivid accounts of brain surgery, anatomy- drilling holes in skulls and pulling back skin flaps, eek. However, this was an intriguing read, and didn't devolve into predictable territory of Woman Neurosurgeon in a Man's World very often.

Cynically, I wonder if she'd have gotten published if she weren't so blonde and pretty. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
Frontal Lobe is a quick, light read and a must-read for anyone who's ever heard the words "Hey, it's not brain surgery" and paused to wonder what that meant.

Obviously proud of being one of a minority of females in a field dominated by alpha males, Firlik tells a good story. One after another, in fact.

Firlik's honest, forthright account of what it means to be a neurosurgeon is as refreshing as it is instructive, and at book's end, readers will feel as though they've come away with something truly valuable, something prime-time TV simply cannot produce: an education.

In Another Day in the Frontal Lobe: A Brain Surgeon Exposes Life on the Inside, an uneven, overlong but often thoughtful account of a neurosurgeon's seven-year residency, Katrina Firlik recounts some of her more wrenching cases. In the process, she demonstrates unusual empathy -- sometimes a rarity in her specialty, one of medicine's toughest and most remunerative.

It is close to amazing that a surgeon could make her life and her work interesting to a lay readership, but she does, and she does it with wit, with flair — and with sharp writing that never ascends to the out-of-reach level of medicine-speak. She tosses around a lot of medical terms, but she carefully explains all of them, and she uses anecdotes about real people to bring it home.

For Andy
The brain is soft.

Katrina Firlik is a neurosurgeon, one of only two hundred or so women among the alpha males who dominate this high-pressure, high-prestige medical specialty. She is also a superbly gifted writer–witty, insightful, at once deeply humane and refreshingly wry. In Another Day in the Frontal Lobe, Dr. Firlik draws on this rare combination to create a neurosurgeon’s Kitchen Confidential–a unique insider’s memoir of a fascinating profession.

Neurosurgeons are renowned for their big egos and aggressive self-confidence, and Dr. Firlik confirms that timidity is indeed rare in the field. “They’re the kids who never lost at musical chairs,” she writes. A brain surgeon is not only a highly trained scientist and clinician but also a mechanic who of necessity develops an intimate, hands-on familiarity with the gray matter inside our skulls. It’s the balance between cutting-edge medical technology and manual dexterity, between instinct and expertise, that Firlik finds so appealing–and so difficult to master.

Firlik recounts how her background as a surgeon’s daughter with a strong stomach and a keen interest in the brain led her to this rarefied specialty, and she describes her challenging, atypical trek from medical student to fully qualified surgeon. Among Firlik’s more memorable cases: a young roofer who walked into the hospital with a three-inch-long barbed nail driven into his forehead, the result of an accident with his partner’s nail gun, and a sweet little seven-year-old boy whose untreated earache had become a raging, potentially fatal infection of the brain lining.

From OR theatrics to thorny ethical questions, from the surprisingly primitive tools in a neurosurgeon’s kit to glimpses of future techniques like the “brain lift,” Firlik cracks open medicine’s most prestigious and secretive specialty. Candid, smart, clear-eyed, and unfailingly engaging, Another Day in the Frontal Lobe is a mesmerizing behind-the-scenes glimpse into a world of incredible competition and incalculable rewards.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:00 -0400)

An autobiographical account of the life and career of Katrina Firik, a neurosurgeon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,963,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible