An Awkward Age (Hesperus Contemporary) by…

An Awkward Age (Hesperus Contemporary) (original 2005; edition 2011)

by Anna Starobinets (Author)

361562,850 (4)7
Nothing can prepare Maxim's family for his transformation as he enters adolescence. Only when his diary is discovered does the sinister and wholly unexected truth behind his metamorphosis from boy to monster come to light.
Member:Andrew_Molboski
Title:An Awkward Age (Hesperus Contemporary)
Authors:Anna Starobinets (Author)
Info:Hesperus Press (2011), Edition: 1st Edition, 160 pages

Work Information

An Awkward Age by Anna Starobinets (2005)

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (lobotomy42)
    lobotomy42: Similar style of short story, often with a gruesome twist.

An Awkward Age is a small collection of short horror stories. For some reason (probably Starobinets' reputation as a journalist) this collection seems to be marketed more as Russian literary fiction than horror fiction. But make no mistake, these stories are definitely more Stephen King than Anton Chekov.

An Awkward Age is a quick read, and although I enjoyed the experience of reading it, I have little to say about it afterwards. The stories (only six, in all) range in both length and quality. I found the final story "Family," about a man whose origin, parents and wife seem to change overnight on a train trip, particularly memorable. A few others, including the title story, felt derivative and predictable. Still, Starobinets' prose is clear and evocative, and even the duller stories were pleasurable to read.

Starobinets has gone on to write non-horror novels. Perhaps the best endorsement I can give An Awkward Age is that I do hope some of these become translated and brought to the U.S. ( )
  lobotomy42 | Jan 3, 2012 |

Anna Starobinetsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alpin, HughTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I walk down a narrow, smelly path between some sheds.

6 short stories (translated by Hugh Aplin):
1) The Agency
2) Rules
3) Yasha's Eternity
4) I'm Waiting
5) An Awkward Age
6) Family

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,907,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible