The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution,…

The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789 (Oxford History of… (original 1982; edition 2007)

by Robert Middlekauff (Author)

The first book to appear in the illustrious Oxford History of the United States, this critically acclaimed volume--a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize--offers an unsurpassed history of the Revolutionary War and the birth of the American republic. Beginning with the French and Indian War and continuing to the election of George Washington as first president, Robert Middlekauff offers a panoramic history of the conflict between England and America, highlighting the drama and anguish of the colonial struggle for independence. Combining the political and the personal, he provides a compelling account of the key events that precipitated the war, from the Stamp Act to the Tea Act, tracing the gradual gathering of American resistance that culminated in the Boston Tea Party and "the shot heard 'round the world." The heart of the book features a vivid description of the eight-year-long war, with gripping accounts of battles and campaigns, ranging from Bunker Hill and Washington's crossing of the Delaware to the brilliant victory at Hannah's Cowpens and the final triumph at Yorktown, paying particular attention to what made men fight in these bloody encounters. The book concludes with an insightful look at the making of the Constitution in the Philadelphia Convention of 1787 and the struggle over ratification. Through it all, Middlekauff gives the reader a vivid sense of how the colonists saw these events and the importance they gave to them. Common soldiers and great generals, Sons of Liberty and African slaves, town committee-men and representatives in congress--all receive their due. And there are particularly insightful portraits of such figures as Sam and John Adams, James Otis, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and many others. This new edition has been revised and expanded, with fresh coverage of topics such as mob reactions to British measures before the War, military medicine, women's role in the Revolution, American Indians, the different kinds of war fought by the Americans and the British, and the ratification of the Constitution. The book also has a new epilogue and an updated bibliography. The cause for which the colonists fought, liberty and independence, was glorious indeed. Here is an equally glorious narrative of an event that changed the world, capturing the profound and passionate struggle to found a free nation. The Oxford History of the United States The Oxford History of the United States is the most respected multi-volume history of our nation. The series includes three Pulitzer Prize winners, a New York Times bestseller, and winners of the Bancroft and Parkman Prizes. The Atlantic Monthly has praised it as "the most distinguished series in American historical scholarship," a series that "synthesizes a generation's worth of historical inquiry and knowledge into one literally state-of-the-art book." Conceived under the general editorship of C. Vann Woodward and Richard Hofstadter, and now under the editorship of David M. Kennedy, this renowned series blends social, political, economic, cultural, diplomatic, and military history into coherent and vividly written narrative.… (more)
Member:emvaughn
Title:The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789 (Oxford History of the United States)
Authors:Robert Middlekauff (Author)
Info:Oxford University Press (2007), Edition: Revised, Expanded, 752 pages

The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789 by Robert Middlekauff (1982)

Unfortunately I did not finish. I went into this work because I wanted to know why the Americans rebelled against Great Britain. The beginning chapters explain these events fantastically. However, once the book got into battle formations, troop movement, military tactics etc, I became uninterested and struggled. Military theory isn't my cup of tea. Also I have taken a course on the events following post-Revolutionary War, so I know about the US Constitution and all the drama surrounding the ratification. I leave this work knowing a lot more than when I started.
  ProfessorEX | Apr 15, 2021 |
5666. The Glorious Cause 1763-1789 Revised and Extended Edition, by Robert Middlekauff (read 31 Dec 2019) This is part of the The Oxford History of the United States, of which I had read 7 volumes and so I thought I should read this one. This book is very detailed and the product of much research. It does not get to the outbreak of the Revolution till page 275. I found the recitation of the minutiae of the battles often bored me. I guess I do not really want to know all the battle details and except for the boring recitation of battle details I found this book full of interest. Its account of the events after the war ended is well done and not as excruciatingly detailed as some of the recitation of events on the various minor battlefields. (though the account of the final battle [Yorktown] seemed hurried and lacked the detail which IT deserved). My initial study of the Revolution in grade school stood up well and so little about the war surprised me. ( )
  Schmerguls | Dec 31, 2019 |
Excellent short history of the Revolution and the Constitutional Convention. ( )
  wwj | Oct 11, 2019 |
It has entertainingly colourful detail of the growing political conflict in the cities of the colonies and the events of the Revolutionary war. But overall the book lost me in the details. I felt like the author assumed I was bringing a lot of knowledge of the outlines of the Revolution and particularly the war - which I wasn't. Thus the endlessly detailed narration of the war, without adequate context, was mind-numbingly dull and confusing. There was also very little pretense to being even-handed, which I guess is understandable but still, for someone who has no allegiance to the USA at all, ... blergh.
  seabear | Oct 8, 2017 |
A compelling account of the American revolution. Covers the growing conflict between England and America, the political and personal controversies in the British parliament, and the ultimate outbreak of hostilities.
  PendleHillLibrary | Sep 28, 2017 |

Robert Middlekauffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kennedy, David M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lynch, Kathleen M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trumbull, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodward, C. VannIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Holly
"The use of traveling," Doctor Johnson wrote Mrs. Thrale, "is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are."

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,322,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible