Homegoing by Frederik Pohl

Homegoing (1989)

by Frederik Pohl

Had difficulty with this book. Couldn't really sympathize with any of the characters,the story was too unexplained, and I just didn't understand. I gave up after about 70 pages or so. ( )
  gilroy | May 13, 2017 |
Good characters. Enjoyable positive sci-fi of strange aliens and humanity recovering from its own mistakes. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Uma bonita história de humanização de um humano que nasceu e sempre numa nave extraterrestre q pretende q ele seja o embaixador de contacto na visita à terra, mas tudo o q ele acreditava serem as verdades q lhe comunicavam eram afinal mentiras e ilusões ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
This book was great! Only a little dated, having been written in the late '80's, but still relevant topics were discussed along with the alien fiction. The story revolves around a young man who has been raised on an alien spaceship after being rescued as a zygote. He never new his parents as they died as he was rescued. The aliens are now bringing him home to Earth. The intereaction between the aliens and earthlings and subsequent fallout was entertaining and kept me interested throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed this book! ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | May 19, 2013 |
This is not Heechee-level Pohl science fiction, but it did keep me reading to find out what would ultimately happen (more on that later). This is the story of a human boy named Sandy who was raised by aliens who are now bringing him back to Earth as their ambassador. That's only the surface story, though. Will he remain loyal to his alien benefactors or change his point of view once he meets other humans? Sandy has to figure out who is telling the truth and who he wants to help as two species' fates hang in the balance. Could be good stuff. Mostly, though, it is hokey and awkward, from the annoying aliens that the reader quickly comes to hope are evil (so they can be shut up permanently), to Sandy's encounters with humans (especially females). The ending is disappointing and deus ex machina, slathered with a thick layer of unbelievable. I give it two stars because it kept my interest enough to get me to that ending, but I would say you can safely skip this one. ( )
  lithicbee | Jul 20, 2010 |

Frederik Pohlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crisp, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shaw, BarclayCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At this time John William Washington, who is usually called "Sandy" by his old nursemaid and his six friends, is biologically twenty-two years and eleven months old.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034536550X, Mass Market Paperback)

Sandy Washington was a pretty normal guy. The only unusual thing about him was that Sandy had been raised by aliens on their spaceship. The Hakh'hli had done everything they could to give Sandy an Earth-type boyhood. Now, finally, the Hakh'hli were bringing Sandy home to Earth. And while they were at it, they intended to give humanity some extraordinary gifts. The Hakh'hli seemed to have Sandy's -- and humanity's -- best interests at heart. But the people of Earth weren't so sure . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:48 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible