Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel by Beth…

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Beth Hoffman

"Steel Magnolias" meets "The Help" in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom. Laugh-out-loud funny, Hoffman's charming work offers the story of a young girl who loses one mother and finds many others.For years, 12-year-old CeeCee Honeycutt has been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille-the tiara-toting, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town. But when Camille is hit by a truck and killed, CeeCee is left to fend for herself. To the rescue comes her previously unknown great-aunt from Savannah, Tootie Caldwell, who whirls CeeCee into her world of female friendship, strong women, wacky humor, and good old-fashioned heart.… (more)
Member:chielscher
Title:Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel
Authors:Beth Hoffman
Info:Pamela Dorman Books (2010), Hardcover, 320 pages

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (susiesharp)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (susiesharp)
    The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (lahochstetler)
    lahochstetler: Books about girls who have lost their mothers and who find new lives in somewhat Gothic southern towns.
    The Complete Anne of Green Gables [Books 1-8] by L. M. Montgomery (itbgc)
    Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall (Iudita)
    Salting Roses: A Novel by Lorelle Marinello (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: both enjoyable southern fiction with great characters
    Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer (mariah2)
    What Happened to My Sister by Elizabeth Flock (dara85)
    dara85: Both novels take place in south, both girls from dysfunctional families and are rescued to better situations.

English (216)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (218)
I enjoyed this book. The story was not predictable. I enjoyed the characters and felt close to them like I was part of the book. ( )
  srlib12 | Oct 16, 2021 |
This book is a quick read and that's about all the good I can say about it. Unfortunately, it encompasses every single trope about southern living, southern charm, black people as rich ladies' cooks, poor little lonely white girls, uppity neighbours, crazy dead mothers, crazy neighbours, absentee fathers, Strong Southern Women (TM) etc. etc. that you could ever hope to wring out of 200 pages. This story is about as soppy as a doily soaked in sweet tea wrapped around an apron dripping with gin. It is one precious mess. It's like the author took bits of all the "Southern" books and stories she could think of and threw them in a blender and then poured it all over her word processor. Which I hope short-circuited after that.

I heard rumour that it may become a movie. Heaven forfend. ( )
  MyCatGreta | Aug 9, 2021 |
A pure joy to read. I will miss them. ( )
  MarlaBurr | Mar 14, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this book. I actually listened to it through Audible and the reader was very good. It was told from the perspective of Cee Cee Honeycutt who is 12 years old. Overall just a good feel good story! ( )
  Weezer41 | Dec 27, 2020 |
  Weezer41 | Dec 27, 2020 |
Saving CeeCee Honeycut ((Beth Hoffman)

Set in the 60's Cecilia (CeeCee) Honeycut just wants to be an ordinary girl. Living in Ohio with her mother and father, she is not sure what normal is. Her mother is mentally unstable, while her traveling salesman father is never home. CeeCee seems to be the mother as she watches over and takes care of her "crazy" mother. Then one day, unexpectedly her mother dies. Soon CeeCee finds herself in another world when her great Aunt Tootie, comes to take her to Georgia, to live with her.

Saving CeeCee Honeycut, was a wonderful (emotional) read. Well written Ms. Hoffman grabs the readers attention and won't let go until the perfect ending. Colorful unforgettable characters, laugh out loud, moments, a perfect coming of age story. I look forward to more work from Beth Hoffman.
added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Feb 26, 2011)

Beth Hoffmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bogdan, IsabelÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Marlane Vaicius, the best friend a girl could ever hope to find, Marlane, you are my Dixie. And: In loving memory of my great-aunt, Mildred Williams Caldwell of Danville, Kentucky, the remarkably generous and wise little woman who ignited the flame that inspired this book.
Momma left her red satin shoes in the middle of the road.
I made a mental note that if I ever needed help from a man I would make him a pie. I wondered if that's why my dad didn't come home much anymore. As far as I knew, Momma never once had baked him a pie.
The truth fell on me like a piano. Though I had no idea what lay ahead, there was one thing I knew for sure: wherever I was going, it had to be better than where I was.
ISBN 1401322476 is for Annie's Ghost

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beth Hoffman's book Saving CeeCee Honeycutt was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,159,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible