Pilgrimage by Zenna Henderson

Pilgrimage (original 1961; edition 1993)

by Zenna Henderson

486None21,134 (4.33)18
Member:sibyx
Title:Pilgrimage
Authors:Zenna Henderson
Info:Avon Books (1993), Paperback
Tags:sf series, sf short stories, sf women authors

Pilgrimage by Zenna Henderson (1961)

Alien children with magic/psionic powers are refugees on modern Earth. A large collection of short stories which were also collected in a couple of smaller volume. It gets extremely saccharine and cloying after a while, but is memorable nonetheless. ( )
  PMaranci | Apr 3, 2013 |
I have loved the stories of The People since the late 1960s when I first started reading science fiction. Our public library in Sunnyvale, CA had a large number of science fiction books. I did not find out until much later how unusual that was. After getting hooked on Star Trek I went there looking for books and found the various Best Of books. Quickly found Zenna Henderson's People stories and then started looking for them. I continue to re-read them from time to time. Still love them. ( )
  barbgarcia1987 | Feb 14, 2011 |
Upbeat, positive, uplifting science fiction stories. The People move to earth because their own world is to be destroyed. They must learn to adjust to their new lives in a new world where people are estranged from The Presence as they are not. These are stories of faith, of optimism, even in the midst of sorrow.
Each chapter stands alone, but there are connections as well. Lovely book. ( )
  DeputyHeadmistress | Feb 10, 2008 |
The first SF book I ever bought (on holiday in Menorca, 1969). I found it completely entrancing, as did my mum (who says that she doesn't even like SF). "Plaiting your twishers" made it into the family vocabulary, although for us it eventually came to mean someone getting a bit over-anxious. ( )
  madcatwoman | May 17, 2006 |
my mother was right, you have to read zenna henderson's stories. ( )
  workgman | Dec 29, 2005 |
To all my cherubs-- and the Bells of Couvron
The window of the bus was a dark square against the featureless night.

Marooned on this planet by the crash of their interstellar vehicle in the distant past, The People are never free of a sense of strangeness in this world and a yearning for the home they have half-forgotten.

These are the chronicles of their arrival on this world, their estrangement from it, and their ultimate acceptance of their poignant exile.

Pilgrimage: The Book of The People is one of the unforgettable works in all of science fiction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible