Some Will Not Die by Algis Budrys

Some Will Not Die (original 1978; edition 1986)

by Algis Budrys (Author)

Member:weetab
Title:Some Will Not Die
Authors:Algis Budrys (Author)
Info:Mandarin (1986), Edition: New Ed, 288 pages
Collections:Disposed of
Rating:**
Tags:fiction, paperback, science fiction, post-apocalypse

Some Will Not Die by Algis Budrys (1978)

I usually enjoy Budrys, but this one was kind of a dud. It offers a reasonably promising beginning, which asked some reasonably interesting questions, but then it never really went anywhere. Also lacking are the nuanced and complex characters I have come to expect from this author.

Both the framing story and the final section of the novel felt tacked on and particularly unsatisfying, leaving many questions unanswered. ( )
1 vote clong | Oct 21, 2017 |

Algis Budrysprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elson, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freas, KellyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freas, PollyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"We are not considering a man. We are considering men; if no man is an island in a world of nearly four billions, then how can any man be independent of others when the population is one-tenth that figure? Men who would have been lost and insignificant in the world before the plague now had their slightest whims and quirks magnified by a factor of ten. The ripplies of any one man's personality spread ten times as far, ten times as effectively. A man with nineteen neighbors need not consider any of them too much. A man with one neighbor has either a brother or an enemy, or both. "So to understand the history of the world after the plague, we have to understnad that no man - not even Theodore Berendsten - could possibly serve as the single focus of that time. "We are studying a man, yes. But we are considering men." - Harvey Haggard Drumm, A Study of the Effects of Massive Depopulation on Conventional Views of Human Nature. Chicago, 2001 AD, mimeographed.
The author owes special thanks to Ed Gorman for his help with the original edition. Writing is a craft, and for teaching me most of what I know of it, for keeping me at it, and for never letting me forget my obligation to it, this is for Lester del Rey and Evvie, and for my wife, Edna.
This happened many years after the plague, at about the same time there was already talk of reviving the American Kennel Club in the east and south.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

The plague struck, and ninety percent of Earth's population died. Those who survived tried to maintain some sort of civilization...which meant more killing, as it turned out. But bit by bit, generation by generation, people began to succeed. With occasional setbacks.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,408,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible