The Mapping of Love and Death: A Maisie…

The Mapping of Love and Death: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs… (edition 2010)

by Jacqueline Winspear (Author)

Series: Maisie Dobbs (7)

London investigator Maisie Dobbs must unravel a case of wartime love and death--an investigation that leads her to a doomed affair between a young cartographer, listed as missing in action when World War I ends, and a mysterious nurse.
Member:KathyNordeen
Title:The Mapping of Love and Death: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Mysteries Series Book 7)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear (Author)
Info:HarperCollins e-books (2010), Edition: Reprint, 482 pages
Collections:2021 Reads, Your library

The Mapping of Love and Death by Jacqueline Winspear

Pardonable Lies by Jacqueline Winspear (robertgriffen)
    robertgriffen: Pardonable Lies is another in the Maisie Dobb series by Jacqueline Winspear and like all this series is a well crafted and enjoyable book which I found very difficult to put down. Anyone who enjoys a mystery story based around real events immediately following the First World War will find this whole series absolutely fascinating. Try to start with 'Maisies Dobbs and then work yor way through the series. Each book connects with the previous and has a link to the next. The latest the Mapping of Love and Death is an excellent story, the latest in this series. Hopefully there will be more to come.… (more)

Maisie Dobbs, investigator extraordinaire, satisfies in this book. The story begins in 1932 when Maisie must find the killer of a recently exhumed soldier from the Great War. During this time her mentor becomes ill.
And James Compton is on the scene. I ate this one up! ( )
  bereanna | Jul 5, 2021 |
maps and california
  18cran | Apr 10, 2021 |
I’m getting kind of sick of WWI stories, especially now that this book’s present time is 1932. I’m actually looking forward to what will hopefully be WWII stories and I hope that WWI will be (mostly) left behind in future books, and the sooner the better.

I was interested in the storylines from the start though.

I enjoyed the brief appearance of California in the U.S. even though it was nowhere near me and included unfamiliar terrain.

I’ll definitely keep reading. I love seeing what happens with everyone, not just Maisie. It looks as though things are about to get even more exciting. Fascinating stuff!

Right now I’m feeling very envious of Maisie. I suppose that most readers want to witness happy, good, lucky things happening to main characters and I do too but sometimes I wish that some characters don’t have their lot improved. It would be more like real life, I think. I will say though that what does happen in this book makes perfect sense and the series story is moving along in an incredibly satisfying way.

I really love Maisie, and I also enjoy most of the other characters, and will greatly miss some characters, though I have a feeling the reader will get to revisit them in brief flashbacks.

I do wish that one thing in this book had been wrapped up but maybe it will be in future books in the series.

I think the main reason why this series of books aren’t exactly page turners for me is that they have such long chapters. My preference is to end each reading session at the end of a chapter and it’s easier for me to start a chapter if it’s not a big time commitment.

This book was one of my favorites so far. 4-1/2 stars

I read a Kindle e-edition and an Overdrive audio edition, my favorite e-formats, both borrowed from my public library. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Mar 19, 2021 |
This is a well-written novel that feels authentic for its post-WWI setting but I was a little disappointed at the lack of actual detective work. Much of it happens off-panel or is dependent upon coincidence, such as when someone just happens to know someone. I also had a hard time remembering who some characters were, but maybe that's just because my mind is often elsewhere these days.

I picked up this book because it was one of Harper's Olive Editions but although the central mystery is complete here there is a considerable amount of continuity regarding Maisie and her supporting cast that follows on from previous novels. I wonder why they didn't just go with the first book. ( )
  chaosfox | Jan 20, 2021 |
Another wonderful story. I love the growth of the characters involved and look forward to seeing more. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |

Winspear, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, ArchieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a great deal of unmapped country within us which would have to be taken into account in an explanation of our gusts and storms.
-- George Eliot, 'Daniel Deronda'
War is like love; it always finds a way. -- Bertolt Brecht
For John
"The Bluesman"
With my love
"Would you believe it, Billy - three years and we're still in business!"

Set in 1932, bestseller Winspear's endearing seventh Maisie Dobbs novel (after 2009's Among the Mad) centers on Michael Clifton, a young American cartographer during the Great War, whose remains turn up in a French field. Evidence suggests to Maisie that Michael, rather than dying in a shell blast, was murdered. Michael's parents arrive in London with letters from an unnamed English nurse that raise disturbing questions about the nurse's relationship with their son. The plucky inquiry agent embarks on a search for this woman, following a trail that leads to Chatham, home of the School of Military Engineering, which Michael attended. There she learns about the vital role that cartography played in the war.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,376,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible