The Forty Rules of Love: A Novel of Rumi by…

The Forty Rules of Love: A Novel of Rumi (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Elif Shafak, Laural Merlington (Narrator)

7194919,492 (3.69)17
Member:napoleon-in-rags
Title:The Forty Rules of Love: A Novel of Rumi
Authors:Elif Shafak
Other authors:Laural Merlington (Narrator)
Info:Tantor Media (2010), Edition: Unabridged,Unabridged CD, Audio CD

The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Şafak (2010)

English (41)  Dutch (6)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (50)
Lovely. Maybe a little slow in the center but really very beautiful. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
A wonderful book on love and Sufism. It lingers. ( )
  barrowedge | Jun 3, 2018 |
I really enjoyed her first book, BASTARD OF ISTANBUL, more than this one. Sense of place was missing a bit here. The strength in storytelling was the entertaining of multiple points of view. I believed in the characters, and the technique supported the underlying theme of the story--all is one. It was an interesting story I'd never heard of and helped me understand Sufism. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
Haaaaaaaated this. So boring and preachy. If I hadn't been reading it for book club I probably would've dropped it before p.100, as it was I ended up skimming huge chunks of it attempting to get to some plot. I felt like I was supposed to like/sympathise with the characters but I hated them all. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
Ella,an unhappily married woman receives a book that she has to read and write a report on.Then we are taken back to the 13th century and told the story of Shams & Rumy,and their spiritual bond.There are many other characters and their stories involved.
Ella also finds love in an unexpected way.

It's hard to say what I loved most about this book,there are many things,still Shams' character is on the top of the list.The author has written his character in detail,he is blunt,he cannot keep quiet or be courteous when he observes something evil happening around,he has a strong personality.You'll be intrigued.

What makes this novel so special;
*It discusses spirituality,explores its depths.
*It discusses love,its importance,how it influences us,the transforming power it has,and how it makes life an adventure.

"Are you the one Majnun has been crazy about?Why,you look so oridinary.What is so special about you?"
Layla broke into a smile."Yes,I am Layla.But you are not Majnun.You have to see me with the eyes of Majnun.Otherwise you could never solve this mystery called love."

*Well-paced.
*Each character is well-written and all of them are so interesting.
*I liked how well the spiritual bond/connection,friendship and love between Shams & Rumi is portrayed.

"Its as if for years on end you compile a personal dictionary.In it you give your definition of every concept that matters to you,such as "truth", "happiness", or "beauty".At every major turning point in life,you refer to this dictionary,hardly ever feeling the need to question its premises.Then one day a stranger comes & snatches your precious dictionary & throws it away.
"All your definitions need to be redefined".he says "Its time for you to unlearn everything you know".

Recommend it to those interested in spirituality,and romance lovers. ( )
  Palwasha_Here | Nov 17, 2017 |
Für Zahir und Zelda
Bewirkst du etwas, wenn du einen Stein in ein fliessendes Gewässer wirfst?

Traces the parallel stories of unhappily married professional reader Ella Rubinstein's fascination with the story of Shams of Tabriz and the 13th-century transformation of Rumi into a mystic and poet.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elif Şafak's book The Forty Rules of Love was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,128,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible