Just Watch Me: The Life of Pierre Elliott…

Just Watch Me: The Life of Pierre Elliott Trudeau: 1968-2000 (edition 2009)

by John English

This magnificent second volume, written with exclusive access to Trudeau's private papers and letters, completes what the Globe and Mail called "the most illuminating Trudeau portrait yet written" - sweeping us from sixties' Trudeaumania to his final days when he debated his faith. His life is one of Canada's most engrossing stories. John English reveals how for Trudeau style was as important as substance, and how the controversial public figure intertwined with the charismatic private man and committed father. He traces Trudeau's deep friendships (with women especially, many of them talented artists, like Barbra Streisand) and bitter enmities; his marriage and family tragedy. He illuminates his strengths and weaknesses - from Trudeaumania to political disenchantment, from his electrifying response to the kidnappings during the October Crisis, to his all-important patriation of the Canadian Constitution, and his evolution to influential elder statesman.… (more)

I enjoyed reading this biography of Trudeau because it talks about a period of Canadian history that I experienced. LIke many Canadians, I have a fascination with Mr. Trudeau; to quote the opening line of another biography, "He haunts us still."

To me, what this particular biography lacked was analysis. Being a child when Trudeau was first elected, he was part of my environment -- part of the background of my life -- and I didn't judge him or assess his policies and ideas until he'd left office. And this book was like my early memories: here's what happened. I would have liked more. ( )
1 vote LynnB | Nov 9, 2011 |
To Bob English who never voted for Trudeau but now wishes he had
The champagne sparkled, the boyish smile lingered as Pierre Elliott Trudeau waved to the cheering crowd at the LIberal converntion in 1968.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,110,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible