Greed by Richard Girling

Collections:Your library, Librarycat
Tags:Social Science, Sociology

Greed by Richard Girling

No reviews

Selfishness and greed have been our tools of survival from the very beginning, ever since our earliest forebears climbed down from the trees and set off across the savannah in search of God. Evolution has given us an instinct that is as crucial to our survival as fear or sex but, in the third millennium, greed has become a juggernaut that is steering out of control. The world cannot go on fulfilling the demands we make of it but the juggernaut is showing no signs of slowing down. And yet we can still appreciate the genius of those whose ambitions have created works of art, gourmet food, and brilliant technologies. Spanning across a whole range of issues including obesity, American evangelism, the Iraq war, and GM food, Greed is not just a lament for lost innocence or an assault on the fat cats—it's also a celebration of all that greed has prompted us to achieve. It began as a primitive instinct but greed has become a driving force so powerful it is capable of over-riding everything in its path.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

A biography of our primary instinct and how it took us out of our caves, and on to levels of extraordinary creativity but is now sending us careering towards our destruction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible