A Night Too Dark: A Kate Shugak Novel (Kate…

A Night Too Dark: A Kate Shugak Novel (Kate Shugak Novels) (edition 2010)

by Dana Stabenow (Author)

Series: Kate Shugak (17)

When a man believed to have committed suicide reappears from the wilderness, Aleut private investigator Kate Shugak and Trooper Jim Chopin struggle to identify the remains of a mysterious victim, a case that is complicated by political factors at the local gold mine.
Member:STITCHERV
Title:A Night Too Dark: A Kate Shugak Novel (Kate Shugak Novels)
Authors:Dana Stabenow (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages

A Night Too Dark by Dana Stabenow

An abandoned truck, leads Kate and Jim to discover a dead body, who is a worker from the Suulutaq Mine. However, which worker and why? Politics about the mine and the Park abound. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Something about this book in the series was off for me. I just never got into it, never cared about the characters (who died). There wasn't much change for Kate either, things felt a bit stagnant or it was me. Hard times, I read this during Covid19 isolation/stress/uncertainty. Still love the series but every book can't be fore every person ( )
  TheYodamom | Jul 12, 2020 |
Despite the gloomy title, this is an up-beat Kate Shugak novel and nothing lifts my spirit more than being around Kate Shugak when things are going well.

Of course, up-beat is a relative term. This is a Kate Shugak novel so, although the book is filled with the intense sunshine of humour, love, sexual attraction, practical compassion, moral courage and physical bravery, it is still loomed over by deaths, murders, political intrigue and the impossibility of being able to save everyone.

Dana Stabenow’s ability to write (relatively short) novels that make me laugh, cry, become angry and relax in the company of characters who feel like friends continues to astonish me.

In “A Night Too Dark”, Kate gets involved in investigating misdeeds and disappearances at Global Harvests gold mine, strengthens her grip over the Native Association that she chairs, ends up fighting for her life in the Park. It also becomes clear that soon, Kate is going to have to take sides and decide what she really wants to do about the gold mine.

“A Night Too Dark” is the seventeenth Kate Shugak book and yet it is a fresh and energetic as the early books in the series. Of course, I have more history with Kate now. I know how she came by some of her emotional and physical scars. I know who she loves and why. I know when she will feel obliged to act (although that doesn’t mean I can predict what she will do). There is a strong ensemble cast in the Kate Shugak novels but Kate is the sun around which the rest of them revolve.

There is enough in this novel to suggest that next one will be more traumatic. I’ll be there, absorbing every page, because the next best thing after an up-beat Kate Shugak novel is a traumatic Kate Shugak novel. ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
A page turner, with a great plot, a wonderful protagonist in Kate Shugak, a private investigator who works and sleeps along side law enforcement authorities in Alaska. She's also fully in stride with the Alaska Niniltna Native Association. In that role, the plot just drips local politics. You wonder how Stabenow, who lives in AZ, gets this Alaska stuff? The mine, home to many recalcitrant, greedy, park rats, also plays a background role in the environmental theme.Life's gonna change, we just don't know how. It's going to get better, I'm sure. However...without summary plot, this book just ends.... ( )
  buffalogr | May 8, 2017 |
Kate is dealing with a new mining company and a man is missing from his truck in the park. When he is found there is more to the story. A good read. ( )
  pgabj | Mar 3, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,211,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible