Burning Lamp by Amanda Quick

Burning Lamp
3.5 Stars

Once again, the historical installment is not on a par with the contemporary. In fact, Burning Lamp reads like a mediocre retelling of Fired Up.

The nature of Griffin's "curse" remains ambiguous and it is never clear whether or not the issue is resolved. Nevertheless, he is a compelling hero and his characterization as a crime lord with a soft spot is endearing. Adelaide is an intriguing heroine and her past is definitely colorful. Unfortunately, the romance falls flat as Adelaide and Griffin's chemistry is virtually non-existent and their declarations of love seem tacked on as an afterthought.

The mystery surrounding the Burning Lamp is interesting enough - there are several villains each with their own agenda and it all comes together nicely at the end.

The next book is Midnight Crystal, which is set in the future. I'm a bit wary as I've never read any of the books under the Jayne Castle pseudonym and I'm not a big fan of futuristic novels. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Rising to the top of the criminal underworld of London after being thrown on the streets upon his parents death, the hero uses his special ability to make himself invisible. When a woman freeing prostitutes threatens the truce he's made with a fellow criminal lord, the hero strikes a bargain with her. He needs her to save his live. With the development of a 2nd ability to kill people with nightmares, he fears for his sanity and his life. The heroine takes an instant likening to the criminal despite his less than moral behavior based on the fact that he takes a bullet for her and does everything he can to keep her safe when she's targeted by their enemies. I was sort of disappointed with novel though I can say that I did enjoy it. It wasn't, however, as good as I hoped it to be. There certainly seems to be a cookie cutter aspect to this series that I dislike. The plot, general character personalities and lack of conflict are a carbon copy of all the other books in the series. I don't like the fact that there isn't a beginning, middle and end. Instead the plot sort of jumps from one conflict to another and the issue that original brings the hero and heroine together is solves within the first 100 pages and instead they more on to a slew of other problems. The heroine is the same strong but submissive female and the hero is the same tortured -fearing for his sanity-guy. They encounter the same instant attraction, they are all just tossed into association with each other yet again instantly trust one another. I enjoy the surface of these books but I'm bored with reading about the same thing over and over again. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
I think maybe I need a Krentz/Quick rest. I usually love her books, though each is the same as the one before it. This is exactly like the other Dreamlight books. The characters are smart and witty and enjoyable, the thing that draws the characters together is the lamp and the need for the dreamlight, there is a diverse cast of characters (this one has Trans men, which is fun and new.) The elements of good Krentz are here, but it was just flat for me. It may just be that I need more distance so I don't focus on how I have read essentially the same book 4 times. If you like Krentz, I expect you will enjoy this enough for a light read. ( )
  Narshkite | Jun 1, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked how the characters tied together and thought the plot was clever and amusing. I also love how she brings in characters from past books whose futures I wonder about. I like the connection between the Jones and the Winters. ( )
  Azacia | Dec 8, 2013 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
Amanda Quick also writes Arcane Society novels under her real name of Jayne Ann Krentz and pen name Jayne Castle.

The Arcane Society was born in turmoil when the friendship of its two founders evolved into a fierce rivalry. Sylvester Jones and Nicholas Winters each sought to enhance their individual psychic talents. Winters’ efforts led to the creation of a device of unknown powers called the Burning Lamp. Each generation the Winters man who inherits it is destined to develop multiple talents—and the curse of madness.
Plagued by hallucinations and nightmares, notorious crime lord Griffin Winters is convinced he has been struck with the Winters Curse. And the instincts that have helped him survive the streets and rise to power are now drawing him toward Adelaide Pyne, the bothersome social reformer. But even as he arranges a meeting with the mysterious woman, he has no idea how closely their fates are bound, for Adelaide holds the Burning Lamp in her possession.
A dreamlight reader, Adelaide should be able to manipulate the Lamp’s light to save both Griffin’s sanity and his life. But their dangerous psychical experiment makes them the target of forces both inside and outside of the Arcane Society. And though desire strengthens their power their different lives will keep them apart—if death doesn’t take them together.

In this second novel of the Dreamlight Trilogy from New York Times-bestselling author Amanda Quick, psychic power and passion collide as a legendary curse comes to a burn...

The Arcane Society was born in turmoil when the friendship of its two founders evolved into a fierce rivalry. Nicholas Winters's efforts led to the creation of a device of unknown powers called the Burning Lamp. Each generation of male descendents who inherits it is destined to develop multiple talents-and the curse of madness.

Plagued by hallucinations and nightmares, notorious crime lord Griffin Winters is convinced he has been struck with the Winters Curse. But even has he arranges a meeting with the mysterious woman Adelaide Pyne, he has no idea how closely their fates are bound, for she holds the missing lamp in her possession.

But their dangerous psychic experiment makes them the target of forces both inside and outside of the Arcane Society. And though desire strengthens their power, their different lives will keep them apart-if death doesn't take them together.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:31 -0400)

Hallucination-prone crime lord Griffin Winters believes he has been struck with the Winters Curse and engages in a dangerous psychic experiment with the mysterious Adelaide Pyne, who holds Nicholas Winters' missing lamp.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,927,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible