Burning Lamp by Amanda Quick
440None23,687 (3.71)11

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked how the characters tied together and thought the plot was clever and amusing. I also love how she brings in characters from past books whose futures I wonder about. I like the connection between the Jones and the Winters. ( )
  Azacia | Dec 8, 2013 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
If you like Amanda Quick books, then you will like this one. One thing I like about her writing is that we rarely see a historical setting for the paranormal.

The down side? If you have read one Amanda Quick book, then you have read them all. Pretty much every hero and heroine are the same, no matter what book. Believe me, I've read most and the male is usually emotionally broken, social outcast (even if he is in the Ton) and by learning to love our hot chic he learns to live again.

Not bad, but if every book is the same thing, why read more than one book?

Again, if you like Amanda Quick, then you will like this book. It's a fast, easy read and you will be entertained. If you are looking for hot steamy sex scenes, then this book is not for you.

Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
Burning Lamp
3.5 Stars

Once again, the historical installment is not on a par with the contemporary. In fact, Burning Lamp reads like a mediocre retelling of Fired Up.

The nature of Griffin's "curse" remains ambiguous and it is never clear whether or not the issue is resolved. Nevertheless, he is a compelling hero and his characterization as a crime lord with a soft spot is endearing. Adelaide is an intriguing heroine and her past is definitely colorful. Unfortunately, the romance falls flat as Adelaide and Griffin's chemistry is virtually non-existent and their declarations of love seem tacked on as an afterthought.

The mystery surrounding the Burning Lamp is interesting enough - there are several villains each with their own agenda and it all comes together nicely at the end.

The next book is Midnight Crystal, which is set in the future. I'm a bit wary as I've never read any of the books under the Jayne Castle pseudonym and I'm not a big fan of futuristic novels. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
Book Two in the sub-series "Dreamlight Trilogy"

This one has the Victorian era story of the clash between the Winters' and the Jones' - Griffin Winters is a crime lord who has inherited the family curse, he can work the Burning Lamp with a dreamlight power, in this case Adelaine Pyne. J&J is watching to see if Winters turns into a Cerebus, a multi-talent who is destined to destroy the Jones clan.

Adelaine can control the power that Griffin has when working the Lamp.

I do love this series, it is a lot of fun, especially the three totally different times/locations for the stories. As Krentz the stories are contemporary, As Quick they are Victorian era and as Castle they are set on another world (Harmony).

Midnight Crystal is set to come out in August, it is the Castle contribution to and the last of the trilogy. I can't wait. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
Amanda Quick also writes Arcane Society novels under her real name of Jayne Ann Krentz and pen name Jayne Castle.

The Arcane Society was born in turmoil when the friendship of its two founders evolved into a fierce rivalry. Sylvester Jones and Nicholas Winters each sought to enhance their individual psychic talents. Winters’ efforts led to the creation of a device of unknown powers called the Burning Lamp. Each generation the Winters man who inherits it is destined to develop multiple talents—and the curse of madness.
Plagued by hallucinations and nightmares, notorious crime lord Griffin Winters is convinced he has been struck with the Winters Curse. And the instincts that have helped him survive the streets and rise to power are now drawing him toward Adelaide Pyne, the bothersome social reformer. But even as he arranges a meeting with the mysterious woman, he has no idea how closely their fates are bound, for Adelaide holds the Burning Lamp in her possession.
A dreamlight reader, Adelaide should be able to manipulate the Lamp’s light to save both Griffin’s sanity and his life. But their dangerous psychical experiment makes them the target of forces both inside and outside of the Arcane Society. And though desire strengthens their power their different lives will keep them apart—if death doesn’t take them together.

In this second novel of the Dreamlight Trilogy from New York Times-bestselling author Amanda Quick, psychic power and passion collide as a legendary curse comes to a burn...

The Arcane Society was born in turmoil when the friendship of its two founders evolved into a fierce rivalry. Nicholas Winters's efforts led to the creation of a device of unknown powers called the Burning Lamp. Each generation of male descendents who inherits it is destined to develop multiple talents-and the curse of madness.

Plagued by hallucinations and nightmares, notorious crime lord Griffin Winters is convinced he has been struck with the Winters Curse. But even has he arranges a meeting with the mysterious woman Adelaide Pyne, he has no idea how closely their fates are bound, for she holds the missing lamp in her possession.

But their dangerous psychic experiment makes them the target of forces both inside and outside of the Arcane Society. And though desire strengthens their power, their different lives will keep them apart-if death doesn't take them together.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:28 -0400)

Hallucination-prone crime lord Griffin Winters believes he has been struck with the Winters Curse and engages in a dangerous psychic experiment with the mysterious Adelaide Pyne, who holds Nicholas Winters' missing lamp.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,500,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible