Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

Dead in the Family

by Charlaine Harris

After the brief but deadly Faery War, Sookie Stackhouse is hurt and she's angry. Just about the only bright spot in her life is the love she thinks she feels for vampire Eric Northman who is under scrutiny by the new Vampire King because of their relationship. And as the political implications of the Shifters coming out are beginning to be felt, Sookie's connection to the Shreveport pack draws her into the debate and up against a Fae who wants her dead.… (more)

This book could have easily been merged with another book because of how little actually happens in it. Unlike most filler books, this one didn't really move the story forward in any significant ways. I didn't enjoy reading about Eric's maker and brother at all. I felt like their presence was pretty boring and didn't alter the characters at all by the end of the book. We already know how strong the bond between maker and protege is and that was the only real purpose they appeared to have.

Sookie and Eric's relationship was frustrating because Eric seemed to be very different than the Eric we have come to love. He seemed to have lost his spark the minute they got together and I felt like he was doing things that he never would have before. Maybe this is supposed to show that he can change for love, but that too is out of character. Eric is an old vampire and will not be changing for anyone in the span of a few years. It was unrealistic for both characters and as a result, was less satisfying. ( )
  bookworm148 | Oct 11, 2019 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. We got to learn more about Eric's back story, and his maker. We also learned more about Bill's vampire "family." Hunter came back for a visit too. I really like Hunter, and wish he could be in the series more. Between the vampires, weres and fairies, there was a lot going on in this book. It was fast paced, and easy to read. By this time in the series, so much has happened that you really need to read the previous books to follow all the drama. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Fluffity fluff fluff. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Dead in the Family is a great book. I used to love this series, adored the characters, but it has one of the worst endings ever! Do not read the last book. Stay away from it. But this one, and the ones before and the two after are fine. But stay away from the last book! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Writing/editing is getting much sloppier. There was so many redundancies and Sookie pity-parties that it was tough to get through this one (again). It seems like Charlaine Harris has lost interest in her own books, and the series (and this reader) is suffering for it. ( )
  liannecollins | Apr 18, 2019 |
Harris is no mean shakes at romance — Erik may be dead, but he's still hot — and she serves up the paranormal thrills and juggles her enormous cast with ease. But more to the point, she seamlessly blends all this into a lovingly observed portrait of small-town Louisiana.

Harris, Charlaineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boucher, Frédérique LeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mümmler, BrittaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our son Patrick, who has not only met our hopes, dreams and expectations for him, but exceeded them.
"I feel bad that I'm leaving you like this," Amelia said.

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,917,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible