The New How: Creating Business Solutions…

The New How: Creating Business Solutions Through Collaborative Strategy

by Nilofer Merchant

English (17)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have finally gotten around to reading this book and I waited too long. The QuEST framework is a great addition to anyone's business toolkit. I also found the section on leadership in the organization to be very well done. ( )
  ungarop | Jun 30, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm reading this book now, and find myself going back and forth everytime I pick it up. And everytime it is like reading a new book over and over again. Ms Merchant manages to bring it all out to the open. I've thought of that, I've got the same chimies and fears when strategies aren't clear enough. Engaging everyone in corporate strategy building may be hard, but not impossible.
I'm just past the middle of it and yes, I like this book already. ( )
  Sisifus | Nov 29, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great business book, not only outlining the process of building strategy, but also discussing the precursors necessary within an organization. Too many people forget about the human aspects, and ensuring the right people are involved in the correct roles. The tools were extremely useful, and I enjoyed seeing the process described from a different perspective (business vs. software). ( )
  Nodosaurus | Sep 21, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I recently picked this book again, after misplacing it for a couple of months. I'm glad I did.

The central premise of the book and the idea of the "Air Gap" between senior management and the people who actually do the work was an interesting take on a well defined problem.

But it was the asides to the impact of collaboration and the expectations of the digital generation in the workforce that really resonated with me, as this is a topic area I've been doing a fair amount of research on lately. In fact I even quoted and referenced this book in my own upcoming business book.

Overall a solid and useful book to have on the shelf of anyone involved in developing and implementing strategic directions for a business of any size. ( )
  gothamajp | Sep 9, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Personally I am not a fan of ebooks and since I received this title in that format, it may have skewed my judgement... I cannot think of any individual person or type of person that I would recommend this book to. I did not find that the content justified the printing of another business management / business trategy title so will not buy it in printed format. The book described issues that are well-known and, in my opinion, dealt with more successfully by other authors. The basic premise seems to be that a gap exists between management and workers, between business strategy and worker tasks. I would expect that the intended audience would already be aware of this issue and of current approaches to deal with it. In my opinion this title adds nothing new. ( )
  eilidhm | Jun 25, 2010 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

What people are saying about The New How "How are you going to get rid of your Air Sandwich if you don't even know what it is? Provocative and practical at the same time."--Seth Godin, author of Linchpin"The New How is informative and provides exciting insights because the suggestions are practical and doable. Merchant gets the new reality--leadership fails not so much from flawed strategy as it does from failed processes of engagement from those responsible for implementing the strategy. In high-performing organizations, everyone acts like a leader, and they own the strategy and take actions to ensure its success. If you care about making a difference, read this book."--Barry Posner, author of The Leadership Challenge"Collaboration is a powerful, competitive weapon: this book shows you how to use it to win markets."--Mark Interrante, VP Content Products, Yahoo, Inc."In a world in which the pace of change is ever quickening, collaboration, not control, is the route to a successful organization. This book tells you how to make your organization collaborative. And Nilofer Merchant's writing is a model of clarity."--Barry Schwartz, author of The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less"Want to transform your organization into a collaborative enterprise? Nilofer Merchant provides insightful and practical strategies in The New How."--Padmasree Warrior, CTO, Cisco Systems, Inc."Merchant's book is a practical guide for the journey from strategy to implementation. The collaborative tools described here can help companies reach strategic success--and avoid pitfalls along the way."--Tom Kelley, General Manager, IDEO, and author of Ten Faces of Innovation Once in a generation, a book comes along that transforms the business landscape. For today's business leaders, The New How redefines the way companies create strategies and win new markets. Management gurus have always said "people matter." But those same gurus still relegate strategy to an elite set of executives who focus on frameworks, long presentations, and hierarchical approaches. Business strategy typically has been planned by corporate chiefs in annual meetings, and then dictated to managers to carry out. The New How turns that notion on its head. After many years of working with Apple, Adobe, HP, and many other companies, Nilofer Merchant discovered the secret sauce: the best way to create a winning strategy is to include employees at all levels, helping to create strategy they not only believe in, but are also equipped to implement. In The New How, Nilofer shows today's corporate directors, executives, and managers how they can transform their traditional, top-down approach to strategy planning and execution into collaborative "stratecution" that has proven to be significantly more effective. Enhance performance and outcomes by deflating the "air sandwich" between executives in the boardroom and employees Recognize that strategy and execution are thoroughly intertwined Understand how successful strategy is founded in effective idea selection-a pile of good ideas doesn't necessarily build good strategy Create company strategy and link it to targeted execution, using the practical models and techniques provided… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nilofer Merchant's book The New How: Building Business Solutions Through Collaborative Strategy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,329,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible