Goldilocks and the Three Bears: Told In Signed English

by Harry Bornstein

1271,335,518 (4.5)None
The well-known tale about the little girl who wanders through the woods and disturbs the house of the three bears, accompanied by diagrams showing how to form the Signed English signs for each word of the text.

In my opinion this is a great book. I liked this book because the author tells the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears while also having the unique text feature of having signed English throughout the book. This allows children to be able to learn sign language while reading a classic story. The illistruations also helps to strengthen the text by grabbing the reader's with bright, detailed drawings. The language used in this text follows a pattern. For instance, Papa Bear will proclaim something and then Mama Bear will do the same as well as Baby Bear. This allows the reader to be able to predict what will happen because they will recognize the pattern throughout the story. This story's message is honesty and can help children understand the importance of being honest.
  Sierra_Lawson | Sep 13, 2016 |
I liked this book for many different reasons. I liked this book because the author simply tells the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This book also includes sign language throughout the book. This a unique text feature that helps children understand sign language. The illustrations also enhance the text. The illustrations are bright and detailed which helps keep the reader’s attention. The language also follows a pattern. For example, Papa Bear will exclaim something and then Mama Bear will exclaim the same thing and then Baby bear states the same thing. For example, Papa Bear exclaims, "Someone has been sleeping in my bed!" Then, Mama Bear and Baby Bear exclaim the same thing in the same order. This gives readers a sense of a pattern because they can predict what will happen. The message of this story is honesty. This story could be considered Modern Fantasy. The plot is logical and a reader can imagine the three bears even if bears don't speak in real life.
  katiebanaszak | Aug 31, 2015 |
I liked this book for several reasons. The main reason is that the story is also told in sign language. This could support readers with hearing disabilities. This is also a way that readers can learn sign language. Having sign language and the text on the page supports diversity and also makes the book very unique. I also enjoy the illustrations because they are vibrant, detailed and colorful. I also liked that the character’s expressions change accordingly to what happens in the text. This is helpful for visualizing the plot of the story. I also liked how the author uses uppercase letters when the Papa bear is screaming. The uppercase letters signals the reader that this part of the dialogue should be louder. The big idea of the story is to always lock your door when leaving the house and to not let your curiosity get the best of you. ( )
  ktran4 | Apr 15, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading the book “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” by Harry Bornstein and Karen Luczak Saulnier. One reason I enjoyed this book was because of the writing. Throughout the story, the reader can tell how the words are supposed to be expressed. “Papa Bear tasted his porridge. He said in a great big voice, ‘THIS IS TOO HOT!’” The reader can understand that they are supposed to say this sentence in a loud tone. The readers understand that because the writing says “in a great big voice” and because the words are written in all capital letters. Another reason I liked the writing was because the whole story was translated into sign language. This gives the students the ability to learn sign language while reading this book. Another aspect of this book that I liked was the illustrations. The pages were spilt up. Half the page was a picture while the other half of the page was the translated version into sign language. The actual pictures in the story were brightly colored. The pictures were shown in great detail and the characters faces were drawn with expression so the reader could tell how the characters were feeling. The sign language pictures were drawn in great detail. They accurately portrayed what each person would have to do with their hands and face to express a particular sign. The big idea of this story is to not break the rules. It is not right to use something that is not yours. ( )
  amulve2 | Dec 4, 2014 |
While this book was just the traditional story of Goldilocks and The Three Bears, on each page was the signed language of the story as well. I really liked to see this aspect because I have not previously seen a book with this type of accommodation for deaf children. I liked that there were pictures of how to sign with the words so that anyone could learn how to sign this book and be able to read it to a deaf child who cannot yet read themselves but still be a part of the read aloud. I enjoyed the learning aspect of this book and believe more books should do this as well.
  kwiggi3 | Apr 8, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,257,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible