The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth (2006)

by John Michael Greer

The classic guide to living a spiritual life rooted in Celtic antiquity and revived to meet the challenges of contemporary life. Druidry offers people a path of harmony through reconnection with the green Earth. The Druidry Handbook is the first hands-on manual of traditional British druid practice that explores the Sun Path of seasonal celebration, the Moon Path of meditation, and the Earth Path of living in harmony with nature as tools for crafting an Earth-honoring life here and now. From ritual and meditation to nature awareness and ecological action, John Michael Greer opens the door to a spirituality rooted in the living Earth. Featuring a mix of philosophy, rituals, spiritual practice, and lifestyle issues, The Druidry Handbook is an essential guide for those seriously interested in practicing a traditional form of druidry. It offers equal value to eclectics and solitary practitioners eager to incorporate more Earth-based spirituality into their own belief system.… (more)
    The Druid Magic Handbook: Ritual Magic Rooted in the Living Earth by John Michael Greer (Heather39)
    Heather39: The Druid Magic Handbook develops and expands upon much the material in the The Druidry Handbook, especially that related to Ogham symbolism, the Sphere of Protection working, and magic.

English (7)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (8)
Both Greer and I acknowledge that there's so much more to be said about the topics he introduces. One of the strengths of this book are the extensive, annotated lists of further readings. Overall The Druidry Handbook is a very good introduction to revival Druidry. The history, lore, and meditation sections were especially interesting or useful. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
Really good reference section around ogham. Instead of a day-by-day study guide, it's just a simple list of tasks that would need to be completed in the course of a year to consider yourself ready to further pursue Druidry. ( )
  pmtracy | Dec 17, 2019 |
I came to this book with a certain amount of cheerful skepticism - which is how I approach religion in general - and was pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure it's possible for a book to explain a religion while being *less* dogmatic about it, and the history was interesting and presented with no attempt to hide flaws or controversy or claim any sort of divine revelation. In fact, the whole book was basically "here are some things that we find useful, and some variations that also seem to work for people, your mileage may vary."

While I may never be able to take "ritual magic" totally seriously, it's nice to find practitioners who don't really seem to either, and in addition to the history and basic lore I found the discussion of meditation particularly interesting, and the outline of a druid candidate's first year of study seemed sensible, interesting, and useful. If nothing else, this book has pointed me in the direction of an interesting writer whose blog I will definitely be investigating. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
At once beautiful and practical.

After reading The Druidry Handbook I was able to begin integrating my growing ecological understanding and unease at the horrors of industrialism with my need to better know myself and occupy a meaningful place in the universe.

As Sharon Astyk says "The enormous virtue of John Michael Greer’s work is that his wisdom is never conventional, but profound and imaginative."

Treasure life, and you will find its gifts at every turn. ( )
  pangeza | Sep 27, 2010 |
I would call this a well-written and informative book. The author is very knowledgeable about the history of druidry in its reconstructionist and revivalist forms, as well as its historical attachments to other new earth-based spirituality forms such as neo-paganism and wicca. The book is divided into sections covering history, theory, and practice with three paths through the druidic order.

The book was interesting and easy to read informative enough to help me to realize that the druidic path was not for me. While I do not plan to join a druidic order, I will take to heart some of the ideas from the druidic path such as some of the forms of meditation and incorporate it into my own spiritual practice, as have so many others before me. ( )
1 vote ladyblacksun | Mar 6, 2008 |
For Sara
Companion on the forest paths
Most spiritual traditions trace their history back to a revelation that gave them all the answers.

A living tradition of nature spirituality rooted in Celtic antiquity and revived to meet the challenges of contemporary life, Druidry offers people a path of harmony through re-connection with the green Earth. The Druidry Handbook is the first hands-on manual of traditional British Druid practice that explores the Sun Path of seasonal celebration, the Moon Path of meditation, and the Earth Path of living in harmony with nature as tools for crafting an earth-honoring life here and now. From ritual and meditation to nature awareness and ecological action, John Michael Greer opens the door to a spirituality rooted in the living Earth. Featuring a mix of philosophy, rituals, spiritual practice, and lifestyle issues, The Druidry Handbook is one-stop shopping for those seriously interested in practicing a traditional form of Druidry. It offers equal value to eclectics and solitary practitioners eager to incorporate more earth-spirituality into their own belief system; it also appeals to the merely curious.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,896,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible