Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last…

Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days (Left Behind #1) (edition 1995)

by Tim LaHaye (Author)

Series: Left Behind (1)

Airline captain Rayford Steele goes in search of his family and answers to how billions of people just disappeared off the face of the Earth.
Member:MMKY
Title:Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days (Left Behind #1)
Authors:Tim LaHaye (Author)
Info:Living Books (1995), 342 pages
Rating:*

Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days by Tim LaHaye

The Anti-Christ Handbook: The Horror and Hilarity of Left Behind, Volume 1, The First 200 Pages by Fred Clark (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: An exhaustive and entertaining explanation of why Left Behind is not only bad literature, it's bad theology.
    Father Elijah: An Apocalypse by Michael D. O'Brien (gabriel)
    gabriel: Father Elijah also deals with the Last Days, but does so without the very questionable theology of Tim LaHaye. It's spiritually powerful and quite well-written.
    Godspeed, Carry My Bullet by Ian Lewis (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Though Lewis's work does not deal with the Rapture but rather with a dystopian society that resulted from a division of the U.S. into two governments with much of the Midwest being a DMZ, there are similar themes in that there is an underground/resistance movement and people on the inside working for that resistance. Also an assassination within the series.… (more)
    Das Allheilmittel by Jennifer Valoppi (rxtheresa)
    The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation by Barbara R. Rossing (SkepChris)
    SkepChris: The Book of Revelation can be read in various ways. The interpretation in the Left Behind series is extremely negative. This book can balance the scales.
    Jesus & the End Times by Michael Barber (fulner)
    fulner: You read the fictional story, now find out, what did Jesus REALLY say about the end of the world? Is the rapture even biblical?
    Rapture, Revelation, and the End Times: Exploring the Left Behind Series by Bruce David Forbes (eromsted)

After reading through this series, I'm leaving a series review here for anyone thinking of starting it:

The first few books are the best ones. At this point in the series, one feels compelled to read for hours on end finishing entire books in one sitting. At about book 6, the series goes downhill. The characters become obnoxious and annoying. One starts to get a feeling that the authors have some strange view of leadership which include no questioning or replacing the man in charge, even after he makes selfish decisions that get other people killed. Followers (especially women) are held to a much higher standard of behavior than the leadership for some strange reason.

By the last few books, it gets to be a struggle to actually keep reading and I found myself skipping page after page of what was basically quotations from the Bible. Not that I have anything against the Bible, but extensive quotes make the last few books read more like a bit of narrative inserted into an extended sermon rather than the other way around.

Potentially one of the most risky things about this series is that it is clearly intended to get people thinking about their relationship with God. However, given the level of fictional violence and gore attributed to God, it is likely that if someone who is questioning/seeking were to read it, the series may actually push that person away from God. The fictional account portrayed as Biblical prophesy may also cause a seeker to start questioning other portions of the Bible rather than strengthening their faith.

I would only recommend this series for persons who already hold end times beliefs that are the same as the authors or for people who already have a very strong/secure relationship with God that isn't going to be swayed by a series that basically portrays God as Old Testament wrath on steroids.
1 vote LoamParticle | Aug 3, 2020 |
An airborne Boeing 747 is headed to London when, without any warning, passengers mysteriously disappear from their seats. Terror and chaos slowly spread not only through the plane but also worldwide as unusual events continue to unfold. For those who have been left behind, the apocalypse has just begun. ( )
  Gmomaj | Jul 12, 2020 |
I read what I did of this series because it was one of the few books my then-husband would read, and I wanted to be able to discuss books with him. I won't be reading more of these books, or re-reading any of the ones I already read, and reading them didn't help give me and my ex-husband anything interesting to talk about anyway since he didn't want to hear the ways in which my opinion on the series varied from his. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
To bad I have to give it a star. ( )
  ShaneBX | Feb 4, 2020 |
Left Behind is a good novelized story of the Book of Revelation. I didn't find anything that was anti-Biblical; although many liberties were taken by the authors to fill in the blanks; but nothing that changes Scripture. I found this first book to be compelling enough to read book 2--which I did immediately following this book. This book begins with the rapture and most of the story is about those who aren't raptured and also about the U.N. who now run the G.C. (global community). 483 pages ( )
  Tess_W | Jun 1, 2019 |

Kummer, JeroenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sondericker, JackNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weyandt, EvaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Alice MacDonald en Bonita Jenkins,
die ervoor hebben gezorgd dat wij niet zouden worden
achtergelaten.
Rayford Steele's mind was on a woman he had never touched. With his fully loaded 747 on autopilot above the Atlantic en route to a 6 a.m. landing at Heathrow, Rayford had pushed from his mind thoughts of his family.
This is the book. Please do not combine with the movie or the Experience in Sound and Drama audio version or the graphic novel - these are an adaption of the book.
Abridged audiobook ISBNs: 0842316752, 0842343237

Rayford Steele is an airplane pilot, who's married and has two kids. His wife (Irene), goes into a small congregration about God and attends to Bible studies weekly, which irritates Rayford. This makes him feel attracted to his senior flight attendant, (Hattie Durham). Ever since Irene becomes a full-fledged religious fanatic, when Rayford day-dreams about Hattie, he feels no guilt at all. He thinks about maybe hinting her or saying something, but a certain question in mind is, "Dare he assert himself now, hours before touchdown?".

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,828,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible