Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero

by Jeff Pearlman

From the bestselling author of "The Bad Guys Won," an investigation of the life and career of Barry Bonds, one of the most celebrated, contradictory and controversial sports figures of our time. No player in the history of baseball has left such an indelible mark on the game as Barry Bonds. In his twenty-year career, Bonds has amassed an unprecedented 7 Most Valuable Player awards, 8 Gold Gloves, and more than 700 home runs (and counting), an impressive assortment of feats that has earned him the consideration as one of the greatest players the game has ever seen. Equally deserved, however, is his reputation as an insufferable braggart, whose mythical home runs are rivaled only by his legendary ego. From his staggering ability and fabled pedigree (father Bobby played outfield for the Giants; cousin Reggie and godfather Willie are both Hall of Famers), to his well-documented run-ins with teammates and his alleged steroid abuse, Bonds inspires a like amount of passion from both sides of the fence. For many, Bonds belongs beside Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron in baseball's holy trinity; for others, he embodies all that is wrong with the modern athlete: aloof; arrogant; alienated. In "Love Me, Hate Me," journalist Jeff Pearlman, author of the bestselling "The Bad Guys Won," offers a searing and insightful look into one of the most divisive athletes of our time. Drawing on extensive interviews with Bonds himself, members of his family, former and current managers, teammates, opponents, trainers, outspoken critics, and unapologetic supporters alike, Pearlman reveals, for the first time, a wonderfully nuanced portrait of a prodigiously talented--and immensely flawed--American icon, whose controversial run at baseball immortality forever changed the way we look at our sports heroes.… (more)

Wow, in case you couldn't tell from his behavior in press conferences, interviews, and candid moments on the diamond, Barry Bonds has a chip on his shoulder the size of the Golden Gate Bridge.

This book just confirms it - you might go in looking for the misunderstood athlete who secretly wants to be loved, who visits sick kids in the off-season.

That guy's not here. Where have all the baseball heroes gone? Pete Rose, Bonds, McGwire, Clemens - all sport asterisks next to their names in my book now.

Where's Cal Ripken when we need him? ( )
  TommyHousworth | Feb 5, 2022 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,220,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible