dismiss

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

The Lost Symbol (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Dan Brown

Series: Robert Langdon (3)

Symbologist Robert Langdon returns in this new thriller follow-up to The Da Vinci Code.
Member:citizenk
Title:The Lost Symbol
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Bantam Press (2009), Edition: Stated First Edition, full number line, First Printing, Hardcover, 528 pages
Rating:*

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (2009)

Recently added bysparklylillady, nelsam, linzmrie, private library, jeskyaa, briancuddy, essebi7
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Fire Gospel: The Myth of Prometheus by Michel Faber (2810michael, 2810michael)
    2810michael: Must be read after reading Brown. I think it's written to the fans of Dan Brown - and to others...
    2810michael: Necessary to read after Dan Brown...
    The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry (Scottneumann)
    The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea (PghDragonMan)
    Mercy by David Kessler (Anonymous user)
    Red Dragon by Thomas Harris (PghDragonMan)
    Los renglones torcidos de Dios by Torcuato Luca de Tena (Clarisma)
    Clarisma: No tengo palabras para describir tanto libro en tan pocas páginas, y si tuviera palabras no serían suficiente para expresar los sentimientos que muestra la historia, que te atrapa y te hace sentir dentro del psiquiátrico.

English (602)  Dutch (13)  Spanish (12)  German (8)  French (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Japanese (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (653)
Aaaaand no. I got through it really quickly (possibly because I started skimming every time a random character began to lecture me. Which means I was skimming ALL THE TIME.), but it certainly wasn't because I was enjoying it too much to put it down.

I'm not totally sure why this book bugged me so much when I enjoyed [b:The Da Vinci Code|968|The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)|Dan Brown|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255581720s/968.jpg|2982101] and [b:Angels and Demons|960|Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)|Dan Brown|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255864772s/960.jpg|3338963]. I will say that I was irked by all the smarty pants smug lecturing going on, particularly since a lot of the characters insisted on acting stupidly. You don't get to lecture me if you're going to go ahead and act like an idiot directly after said lecture (or, in some cases, while lecturing). Well, you can lecture me, but I will be super annoyed by it.

Also! This:

"Awesome!" somebody shouted.
Langdon rolled his eyes, wishing somebody would ban that word.

You shut up, Dan Brown! Awesome is the best word ever.

Did you know that Maureen Johnson has a reader's guide for this book up on her blog? Well, she does! --> http://tinyurl.com/n7j365 It's way better than the actual book. Save yourself 500 odd pages of irritation and read the guide instead.

bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
Szerencsére szakított az író az első két kötet alapforgatókönyvén. Itt nem alapvetően az idővel harcol a főhős és van remény a regény elején elrabolt barát megmentésére. A tudományos igényű ismeretterjesztés és az elképesztő fordulatok persze megmaradtak ebben a történetben is. Remek szójátékok és képrejtvények kísérik végig a szereplők útkeresését. ( )
  gjudit8 | Aug 3, 2020 |
Quite engaging. Great vacation read and interesting as I prepare for my upcoming visit to D.C. ( )
  Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
Well, it's Dan Brown, so it's not a literary masterpiece. What it is, however, is what Brown's books always are - a very entertaining read. I think the other two Langdon books are a step above the non-Langdon novels, and The Lost Symbol follows in that tradition. Best of all, Brown has actually moved away from his usual formula a little, so it's not just the same old plot in a slightly different location.

I am an unabashed fan of Brown's work, because his fiction is always fun to read. There is nothing wrong with reading for entertainment, despite what Brown's naysayers would have us believe, and The Lost Symbol delivered exactly what I asked of it - a light and engrossing read. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
It was a 4.5 star read to be precise. Dan Brown never fails to amaze me through his intricate writing and attention to detail on the minuscule level. Langdon has been according to me, one of the most thought-out characters in literature. The only thing that took away from this book for me personally is the fact that the progress got a little slower in the middle and the bombardment of factual information a little too much to take in at once. The ending also was a little underwhelming, but the later part of the book really had some amazing moments. Dan Brown's books to me are a distinct piece of literature that stand out among everything else, credit to the research and hard work put into these works. ( )
  manogna_thumukunta | Jun 4, 2020 |
In the end, as with “The Da Vinci Code,” there’s no payoff. Brown should stop worrying about unfinished pyramids and worry about unfinished novels. At least Spielberg and Lucas gave us an Ark and swirling, dissolving humans. We don’t get any ancient wisdom that “will profoundly change the world as you know it” — just a lot of New Agey piffle about how we are the gods we’ve been waiting for. (And a father-son struggle for global domination, as though we didn’t get enough of that with the Bushes.)

There are moments of excitement in this skilfully edited, deeply implausible thriller. At times the suspense is prolonged rather than sustained, but the 500 pages turn steadily and the overall effect is entertaining and certainly family-friendly. The Lost Symbol is violent but remarkably chaste and devoid of profanity.
added by Shortride | editThe Age, Simon Caterson (Sep 19, 2009)

If you hate Dan Brown, you're going to hate this book.

It seems Brown has decided to irk his critics by repeating every flaw he's been accused of. ...

No, it's not Foucault's Pendulum. It doesn't even come close. However, if you liked Dan Brown's previous books you're likely to enjoy this one. There is some interesting trivia about the history of Washington, DC which is in fact true, which is an added bonus.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, Tom (Sep 17, 2009)

It’s true, his style is as baldly prosaic as legend, but there remains a heft to his potboilers that is hard to imitate. He is better at conveying claustrophobia and breathlessness than, say, the explosion of a top-secret lab (“fragments of titanium mesh . . . droplets of melted silicon” etc) but the latter will make a juicier scene come the inevitable Tom Hanks movie, and the author knows this.
added by Shortride | editThe Times, Andrew Collins (Sep 16, 2009)

As a thriller, "The Lost Symbol" is exciting, although readers of "The Da Vinci Code" will notice that some of the same stock characters and creaky plot devices pop up... As District of Columbia resident, I must say that Mr. Brown does a first-rate job of delivering a Cook's tour with duly sinister overtones of Washington's famous sites... It's when Mr. Brown interrupts his storytelling to deliver one of his many lectures on Christian ­intolerance—with pointed digs at the American ­religious right—that "The Lost Symbol" becomes a ­didactic bore.

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pereira, Carlos,Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

To live in the world without becoming
aware of the meaning of the world is
like wandering about in a great library
without touching the books.

The Secret Teachings
of All Ages
For Blythe
The secret is how to die.
Neckties had been required six days a week when Langdon attended Phillips Exeter Academy, and despite the headmaster's romantic claims that the origin of the cravat went back to the silk fascalia worn by Roman orators to warm their vocal cords, Langdon knew that, etymologically, cravat actually derived from a ruthless band of "Croat" mercenaries who donned knotted neckerchiefs before they stormed into battle. To this day, this ancient battle garb was donned by modern office warriors hoping to intimidate their enemies in daily boardroom battles.
The only wrinkle was the bloody black-clad heap in the foyer with a screwdriver protruding from his neck.
It was no coincidence that Christians were taught that Jesus was crucified at age thirty-three …
Thankfully, this particular crypt contained no bodies. … The entourage hurried through, without even a glance at the four-pointed marble compass in the center of the floor where the Eternal Flame had once burned.
His hips and abdomen were the archways of mystical power. Hanging beneath the archway [sic], his massive sex organ bore the tattooed symbols of his destiny. In another life, this heavy shaft of flesh had been his source of carnal pleasure. But no longer.

The Lost Symbol is a masterstroke of storytelling—a deadly race through a real-world labyrinth of codes, secrets, and unseen truths all under the watchful eye of Brown's most terrifying villain to date. Set within the hidden chambers, tunnels, and temples of Washington, D.C., The Lost Symbol accelerates through a startling landscape toward an unthinkable finale.

The Capitol Building, Washington DC: Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon believes he is here to give a lecture. He is wrong. Within minutes of his arrival, a shocking object is discovered. It is a gruesome invitation into an ancient world of hidden wisdom.

When Langdon’s mentor, Peter Solomon – prominent mason and philanthropist – is kidnapped, Langdon realizes that his only hope of saving his friend’s life is to accept this mysterious summons.

It is to take him on a breathless chase through Washington’s dark history. All that was familiar is changed into a shadowy, mythical world in which Masonic secrets and never-before-seen revelations seem to be leading him to a single impossible and inconceivable truth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,206,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible