A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 by Kaoru Mori

A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 (edition 2011)

by Kaoru Mori

Member:usagijihen
Title:A Bride's Story, Vol. 1
Authors:Kaoru Mori
Info:Yen Press (2011), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, reviewed, own, best of 2011, manga

A Bride's Story, Volume 1 by Kaoru Mori

Emma, Volume 1 by Kaoru Mori (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Beautifully drawn and charmingly written historical fiction.
    Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 1 by Fumi Yoshinaga (electronicmemory)

Beautiful black and white inkwork. On one particular page, the main character is shown wearing intricately patterned, complicated clothing and jewellry with every last stitch, tassel and bead drawn perfectly and then on the next, she's jumping on a horse and riding off and all of this amazing detail is suddenly bursting with life and motion. You can almost feel the air rushing past her! The faces are drawn as in all manga, with crazy-big eyes, but these eyes sparkle and everyone looks different.

The story's really good too. Definitely 5 stars. ( )
  EnidaV | Jun 30, 2015 |
A Bride's Story, Volume 1 is the first volume of an ongoing manga set in 19th century Central Asia. Amir comes from a semi-nomadic clan and has been married to a much younger boy; however, she soon wins the admiration and friendship of her new family. She and Karluk, her husband, have many adventures together, but some surprise visitors while they are away visiting nomads hints at trouble for Amir down the road.

An unusual and very compelling manga, I can't wait to get my hands on volume two! ( )
  inge87 | May 27, 2015 |
Beautiful art! I'm really enjoying the setting (19th century central Asia) and the characters (Amir! Grandma!). I am interested to see where things go, though I am not quite sure how I feel yet about the actual marriage (an arranged marriage between a 12 year old boy and a 20 year old girl).
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
this was a really good manga. I don't ever know what to expect our of manga outside of my norm and I really liked this one. I will definitely be reading the rest of this series ( )
  AryaDragon | Aug 26, 2014 |
  AryaDragon | Aug 26, 2014 |

Kaoru Moriprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackman, Abigailsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flannagan, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keerl, AlexandraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leclerc, YohanTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Oh my!"
Some of the records have this as a series (i.e., one record for all volumes), but most seem to be for each volume separately.

Amira is twenty years old when she marries her husband, a boy named Karluk from a neighbouring village. Adjusting to life in a new household can be trying for any young bride, and Amira's husband is eight years her junior.
Amira was a strong, sophisticated hunter and horsewoman in her village, but though their villages were next to each other, their customs are very different. As Amira introduces Karluk to the foods and pastimes that were popular among her comrades back home, the warmth she feels for her young husband grows.

As she and her husband adjust to their arranged marriage, Amir strives to find her role as she settles into a new life and a new home in a society quick to define that role for her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,379,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible