HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Best American Side Dishes (Best Recipe)

by Editors of Cook's Illustrated

'Best American Side Dishes' presents 500 recipes for appetizers, salads, and casseroles to accompany a main course, with step-by-step illustrations of techniques, descriptions of test processes, and sidebars for equipment and ingredients.

Can't rate as I read very little: the book was on display at the library and I just grabbed it for ideas for veggie sides.

I liked the notes describing the research they did on various ingredients, prep methods, etc. For example, they managed to convince me that glazed carrots made by their tested & described method would be wonderful, as opposed to being disgusting as the very name suggests to me.

Still, I found nothing I'll actually make. Otoh, YMMV, and I highly recommend that you look at this if your library owns it and you're interested in the topic.

Btw, it obviously has a lot of dishes that would be suitable for vegetarians - but certainly not all of them are. And almost none are vegan-friendly.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I renewed this book from my library. I really enjoyed flipping through. There were tons of great ideas...side dishes are my weakness. This book will definitely help you see through the bagged vegetable accompaniments. I will be checking this one out again...perhaps buying if the price were right. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,268,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible