The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, Book 2) by…

The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, Book 2) (edition 2010)

by Janette Oke (Author)

In first-century Judea, Abigail together with her fellow followers of the Way face a gathering storm of persecution they never could have foreseen but find a glimmer of hope through their faith and courage to survive.
Member:EvaMarieR
Title:The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, Book 2)
Authors:Janette Oke (Author)
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2010), Edition: 1st, 400 pages

The Hidden Flame by Janette Oke

This book being the sequel to The Centurion's Wife I was very excited to get into it and it didn't take me long (according to my rate of speed). The Book of Acts continues its story in The Hidden Flame, I have really enjoyed how much this books detail follows the book of Acts; Ananias & Sapphira being struck down by God, Peter and others being jailed and the Angel of the Lord releasing them...

In this story the First Century Church is being "built" and there is much persecution throughout Jerusalem. The Sanhedrin and Pharisees are beside themselves with hate for the Followers of the Way. They are trying everything they can to bring them down without drawing attention to themselves from the powers of Rome.

Then there is the Roman soldier, Linex, who is a good friend to Alban (the Centurion from the first book) who is dealing with himself and the convictions he feels from the Holy Spirit. You really should read this series and watch the Book of Acts unfold! Great Biblical Fiction!
  MonicaEH | May 23, 2017 |
"The Hidden Flame: Acts of Faith Book 2" is wonderful fiction set just after Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection!

It really made me think of how things happened after Jesus died. How Peter preached and brought many to new converts to Christ and how they cared for widow. The book brought characters like Peter and Stephen, Gamaliel, Sapphira and Ananias, to life. Very well-written and well done. It follows the Bible stories from the New Testament well and adds great fictional characters like Abigail and Linux.

I am currently watching A.D. The Bible Continues on TV and I much prefer reading this book series (Acts of Faith) to the show. The books leave me with how Christianity grew so much, how love and hope spread through those faithful followers of Jesus. A.D. leaves me disgusted with blood and gore, tangled in Rome and Jewish politics. I have an even greater appreciation for Davis Bunn and Janette Oke now. Good job to them for bringing this period in history to life with fiction!!!!! ( )
  DawnMHamsher | May 19, 2015 |
I loved this book as much as I loved the first one in the series, The Centurion's Wife. I felt I could easily relate to the doubts and fears that Abigail dealt with on an almost daily basis, even though her world is far different from mine. Her humility and compassion are something for me to admire and aspire to, and I sympathized with her feelings of helplessness both in her struggle to work and her imminent betrothel. This book helped me to understand better the differences between the Pharisees and the members of the Sanhedrin, as well as the political climate of that time. I cried twice while reading the book, first while reading about Peter's shadow healing the sick and mamed as he walked and then at the point of Stephen's death. Despite the runny nose, I count this as a mark of well-written literature.
It's exciting to see how all of the names I know so well from Bible scriptures are introduced into the plotline of the novel, and it feels like taking a fresh look at events that I have read and studied over and over again, such as what happened to Ananias and Saphira. I feel like I am looking behind the scenes to what happened in between the lines of scripture, such as the events that led up to Stephen's death, the daily tasks of the members of the fledging church, as well as how the Apostles went about their daily lives, manifesting miracles as easily as shaking hands but still never taking for granted what Power worked through them. I appreciate the delicate nature of interpreting these Scriptures in a fictional text, and while there are some I know that would consider doing such as verging on blasphemous, I feel that such works serve a purpose in the "grand scheme" and hold merit.

JacobsBeloved | Nov 25, 2013 |
I enjoyed this fictional account of a young woman of the first century Christian Church. Many of the events I have read and studied in the book of Acts are presented as those who witnessed them might have experienced them. It caused me to consider and to pray how the courage of the early Christians applies to my own life. I don't face the threat of persecution, but am I willing to die for my Savior?
  FancyHorse | Nov 13, 2013 |
As I've stated before, I'm a big fan of biblical fiction because I feel that there is more to the story than just what is written in the Bible. I feel that if the author does sufficient research to make sure what they are writing about is historically and culturally accurate, there is no reason to confine the characters to only what is written in the scriptures. That being said, I was looking forward to reading this second book in the new series from Bunn and Oke. As a huge Janette Oke fan, I'm honestly not sure what parts of the book she contributed to but I am a sucker for anything that has her name on it.

While the main focus of the story is on Abigail, it really is a different take on the story of Stephen, the first martyr. If you don't know Stephen's story from the Bible, he was stoned to death for his beliefs and the person holding the coats of the stoners was Saul, who later became Saint Paul. The authors take the framework of this story and wrote a lovely narrative around it focusing on the lives of the early believers and their day to day relationships. Pretty much the story of the first part of the book of Acts comes to life. The main character Abigail is a young woman who is one of the early Christians and helps out Martha (sister of Lazarus). Her story shows her growing in her faith as well as finding love.

If there's a flaw in the story, it's that I felt too much time was spent on the suitors that the reader knows Abigail does not want to be with. The men are both likable and there's nothing wrong with them but Abigail does not love either men so it feels like time is wasted on these characters only to have them go their separate ways. I appreciated the romantic tension but I don't really like getting invested in a character if they are not going to be a part of the main focus of the story and ending.

Overall this is a good biblical fiction story with a nice mesh of romance and historical fiction blended together. It's the second book in the series and while you probably could read it alone, I would suggest reading the first book to fully understand the characters, setting and culture. ( )
  mrsjason | Jun 1, 2011 |

Janette Okeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bunn, Davismain authorall editionsconfirmed

Bethany House

3 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764207423, 0764205579, 0764207415

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,772,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible