The Pirate Vortex: Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate…

The Pirate Vortex: Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate Hunter

by Deborah Cannon

2010764,403 (3.95)4

When Elizabeth's mother is reported missing, Liz will stop at nothing to try to find her. She did not know at the time what lengths she would have to go to find her.
This book is exciting, captivating and fun to read. I love the fact that the reader never knows what will happen next. I'm looking forward to reading more of Deborah Cannons work. ( )
  lexiesmom | Oct 14, 2013 |
I had a hard time getting into this book. It seems that this book takes place in the future, however there were too many current references (like brands, items, etc) which through me off while reading. With that said, I would still recommend this book to those young ones that are into time travel and pirates who would be fine with reading about pirates and time travel without noticing the issues I had while reading it.
  llyramoon | Nov 28, 2012 |
This was an easy, fun read. I can definitely see the appeal of this story for young readers; however, there were aspect that did not appeal to me personally. There were far too many references to brand-names for my taste, and I found that the author was often redundant with information about characters. On the flip side, it is a fun, fast-paced pirate story that provided an exciting escape from reality! ( )
  Lschwarzman | Nov 22, 2012 |
What a great YA novel! When I was in my teens many years ago, this is exactly the kind of book I'd have been drawn to. As a teenager? Not necessarily, I loved it as a long-in-the-tooth adult. I'm sure my grandchildren will love it, too.

Pirates, adventure, time travel, teen protagonists, what's not to love! Deborah Cannon, you have a wonderful knack of creating a great story with fact amongst your fiction. This book was completely up to date in the present time, and very well researched in the 18th century when pirates ruled the ocean highways and byways.

Elizabeth Latimer, Liz to friends, Lizabeth to younger sister Lulu (Lu), and Pirate Hunter on-line is the main protagonist. Their mother has disappeared while doing ocean archaeology in the Caribbean. Not just ocean archaeology, but searching for clues for her lost husband, following a pirate by the name of Jack Rackham, or Calico Jack. She feels her answers are related to him. She is searching in the 18th century. How did she get there you might well ask. Well, the reason is in the title. There is an anomaly which is much like a vortex/waterspout/whirlpool, and it is sitting right near mother Tess's salvage barge in Nassau. Between Tess and her sister Stephanie (Stevie), they have determined that this vortex shows up every so often, and not always in the same place, but is much like a wormhole.

When Tess disappears, it is suspected that she was caught in the vortex, and taken someplace else. It takes awhile, but it becomes certain that she is in Nassau in the 18th century. When the police are about to give up their search, Liz becomes adamant that she will go find her. She is a top fencer, and is joined by Wang, who was a student of Tess, Lu, who sneaks in along with C.J., their parrot, named for Calico Jack. CJ proves very helpful on the trip as at times he is able to communicate with Liz telepathically, and give her information and warnings. They are also joined by the mysterious Daniel. Nobody knows anything about him, where he is from or maybe what time he is from, but he is an expert swordsman and fencer too.

Liz goes into the vortex, wearing Lu's pocket PC in case connections can be made because Lu is a superb computer genius, and can find information they need very quickly. Fortunately the pocket PC works because Liz is in for a lot of dangerous and terrible conflicts in this century. A lot of realism worked into the plot, chases and risks. When Liz does find Tess, she learns that her mother does not intend to return through this vortex because she is certain she can find their father in this time. She forces Liz and her group to return through the vortex while there is still time, it will be closing within hours. What Liz has learned is that if something isn't restored from/to the 18th century, Tess, Liz, Lulu, and Stevie will cease to exist.

The excitement, feeling of adventure, pirating, time travel, remains through the book keeping the reader happy and wanting more. All agree it is imperative that they should be returned home quickly and may even be helpful in Tess's search. Where she will eventually surface is anyone's guess, all they know is that the vortex moves around and will one day return. I definitely feel the need to know more, just as Liz does. This book wraps you up in chapters and doesn't want to let you go. Fun and fascinating, illuminating, and just which man holds her heart? Wang or Daniel? Or will there be another tossed into the mix. Loved this book! ( )
  readerbynight | Jan 9, 2011 |
A very cute premise that made for a quick read. Like others, I was put off by excessive name brand dropping and text/chatspeak. I feel that this limits the book and will shorten its "lifespan" once the next fad comes along. ( )
  moppety | May 6, 2010 |
For Jackie, the original "Rebel Goddess"
Cry me great big cartoon tears.

Teen fencing champ, Elizabeth Latimer, is a girl of her times. Armed with the latest pocket PC, she leaps into an oceanic vortex in pursuit of Daniel, an oh-so-awesome pirate. He knows the whereabouts of her missing marine archaeologist mom, but instead of reuniting them, he bamboozles her into an impossible mission—to help the pirate Calico Jack Rackham rescue his girlfriend Anne Bonny. In a world where men solve their problems by running a foot of steel into their enemies' guts, Elizabeth has few weapons at her disposal. The Universe has its rules—and Liz is bound by two of them. Number one. Don't reveal modern technology to the pirates. Number two. Don't kill anyone. If she breaks either of these rules, she'll change history and alter the future.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Deborah Cannon's book The Pirate Vortex was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Deborah Cannon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,413,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible