A Cast-Off Coven: A Witchcraft Mystery by…

A Cast-Off Coven: A Witchcraft Mystery (edition 2010)

by Juliet Blackwell

Member:writeslikeagirl
Title:A Cast-Off Coven: A Witchcraft Mystery
Authors:Juliet Blackwell
Info:Signet (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:read, Your library

A Cast-Off Coven by Juliet Blackwell

Not bad, kind of scary for a chick-lit novel.

Lily Ivory and very powerful witch, who owns Aunt Cora's Closet, where she sells, vintage clothing, herbs & talismans has been asked to investigate the haunting of a prominent art school in exchange for a closet full of Victorian clothing stored in the attic space of the school.

While she is investigating the haunting, there is a murder of a prominent school benefactor. Lily also discovers that the school was once a nunnery which housed a group of nuns from France, who had some very dark secrets and who disappeared right after the Great Earthquake.......

This was an interesting story, especially the part about caring & cleaning for vintage clothing.

Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is a cute mystery series with touches of the supernatural. The main character is a witch, but she is a nonconformist as well. Setting the stories in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco makes for an interesting set of characters and places that they visit. I just finished the third installment and am looking forward to the many more. Great beach read if you like supernatural mysteries. ( )
  dd196406 | Dec 1, 2015 |
I liked this second entry in the series even more than the first (SECOND HAND SPIRITS). The series is fun, non-violent paranormal mysteries. I like the characters and the paranormal aspects are the kinds I can enjoy - nothing challenging - just fun. In this second book the paranormal aspect was ghosts and a demon. The demon wasn't very nice but the ghost was friendly. And in the end the good wins. I hope that isn't really a spoiler for anyone as in these kind of books the good mostly comes out on top.
  hazel1123 | Jun 24, 2015 |
This was another good addition to this series. The San Francisco School of Fine Arts has had some paranormal activity going on so Lily agrees to help in return for some vintage clothes. But there is more in this closet of clothes than she bargained for. Plus she stumbles across a dead body and everyone thinks “the ghost” killed the man but Lily senses something different something demonic and everyone at the school seems to be on edge and aggravated at each other. At one time the school was a convent and Lily starts to wonder just what these nuns were up to.

Lily does go to Aiden for help his help is a little lacking and she also meets Sailor, who is more help, and Lily seems to be attracting men like crazy, first we have Max but I agree with Aiden she will be in a Darrin & Samantha relationship with him trying to squelch her magic. Then Luke, I liked Luke myself, until it got weird. But I know most people prefer Sailor. Max did grow on me more by the end of the book.

This one kept me on the edge of my seat trying to figure out who killed the big cheese, a ghost, a demon, or just a human? But the things that happen in this school would freak me out the white light and wind would freak me out more than the voices.

As always I love Oscar he is my favorite character. I also want a store like Lily’s in my town! I liked how her relationship with Inspector Romero evolved in this one and I see them working together much more in future books.

This one is narrated by Xe Sands, who as always does a great job I just love her voice and she seemed to come more into her own as Lily in this book compared to the first she was a bit more forceful and sure, I liked that!

The ending really made me look forward to more of this series! If you enjoy cozy mysteries with a supernatural tilt give this series a try!

3 ½ Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Sep 29, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Aug 28, 2014 |
To Robert B. Lawes, just about the best dad a daughter ever had
"I need something to guard against ghosts..." whispered the young woman slouching at the counter.
My mother says I must not pass
Too near that glass;
She is afraid that I will see
A little witch that looks like me,
With a red, red mouth to whisper low
The very thing I should not know! - Sarah Morgan Bryant Piatt

Students are spooked at the San Francisco School of Fine Arts, and Lily is called in to search for possible paranormal activity. In return she's been promised a trunkful of Victorian-era clothes recently discovered in a school storage closet.

But Lily finds something else: the body of a wealthy patron of the school. In between running the store and seeing her new boyfriend, Max - a "mythbuster" who is uncomfortable with her witchcraft - she uses her sleuthing skills to try to solve the murder. Soon Lily senses something from the school's vintage clothes, but it's not the smell of mothballs - it's the unmistakable aura of evil intent.

Lily, a witch who can sense vibrations of the past from vintage clothing and jewelry, is called to investigate possible paranormal activity at the San Francisco School of Fine Arts. Instead she discovers the body of a wealthy patron of the school and must use her magical skills to try to solve the murder.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,525,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible