Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez

Wench

by Dolen Perkins-Valdez

I would not suggest this book for anyone under the age of 18. Some things are a bit graphic. It starts off really slow, gets really good, then has a few more slow moments but its worth reading. ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
This novel concentrates on the life of a slave woman who has come to love her master who sexually exploits her. Although there s a long flashback in the middle which takes us to the plantation in Tennessee on which she lives, the heart of the book is the rest of the sandwich, sited in a vacation resort in Ohio to which she accompanies her master. This book is a distant descendant of the steamy, titillating 'sex and sin on the plantation' novels which were so popular in the fifties and sixties, but this book really is anything but erotic. Serious themes such as motherlove pitted against romance and a slave who is ambivalent about her condition are the thrust here. The book is enjoyable throughout and is an engaging read, though I never got particularly interested in a few hesitant subplots, despite the supporting characters being well-drawn. ( )
  Big_Bang_Gorilla | Apr 30, 2019 |
I wanted to read this book in February for Black History month, but time got away on me. It was an interesting yet fictional perspective of a side of slavery that I had not read in depth before. It is always unpleasant to look into this historical atrocity, but I feel we need to know our history and remember the wrongs as well. It is the story of 4 women, Lizzie, Mawu, Reenie and Sweet who see each other once a year when their masters take them with them as their concubines to a vacation resort in Ohio. Yes, this all sounds well and good, but of course it isn't. Through these women we get to know the various treatment of them by their masters, it sure did make me long for the Civil War to start up and free them. I think that anyone with an interest in history and especially a need to read about women should give this book a try. I found it hard to put down, many reviewers have put down Lizzie the heroine of the novel, but I got it with her, I understand why she was the way she was and why it ended up the way it did. She is a woman. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
I give this novel a rating of three due to the historical importance rather than because of the quality of the narrative. Slave owners vacationing with their female slaves is very likely a little known part of history. The book offered a new insight into the relationship between the wenches and their owners. I also found it interesting that many traveled quite a distance to vacation in Ohio during the 1850's. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Another great read about slave women in the south. Interesting look into how the Masters always took what they wanted no matter what or who they hurt. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |

Dolen Perkins-Valdezprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mancheril, EminCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wench:
(c. 1290): A girl, maid, young woman; a female child.
(1362): A wanton woman; a mistress.

United States:
(1812; 1832): A black or colored female servant; a negress.
(1848): A colored woman of any age; a negress or mulattress, especially one in service.
Her beauty was notorious through all that part of the country; and colonel Moore had been frequently tempted to sell her by the offer of very high prices. All such offers however, he had steadily rejected; for he especially prided himself upon owning the swiftest horse, the handsomest wench, and the finest pack of hounds in all Virginia.

The Slave: or Memoirs of Archy Moore (1836)
Dedicated to my parents:

Barbara and James Perkins

For belief, support, and love.
Six slaves sat in a triangle, three women, three men, the men half nestled in the sticky heat of thighs, straining their heads away from the tightly woven ropes.

Lizzie, Reenie, and Sweet, three enslaved African-American mistresses who are regularly brought to a resort called the Tawawa House prior to the Civil War, contemplate running for freedom after a fire sets off a series of tragedies.

Tawawa House in many respects is like any other American resort before the Civil War. Situated in Ohio, this idyllic retreat is particularly nice in the summer when the Southern humidity is too much to bear. The main building, with its luxurious finishes, is loftier than the white cottages that flank it, but then again, the smaller structures are better positioned to catch any breeze that may come off the pond. And they provide more privacy, which best suits the needs of the Southern white men who vacation there every summer with their black, enslaved mistresses. It's their open secret. Lizzie, Reenie, and Sweet are regulars at Tawawa House. They have become friends over the years as they reunite and share developments in their own lives and on their respective plantations. They don't bother too much with questions of freedom, though the resort is situated in free territory--but when truth-telling Mawu comes to the resort and starts talking of running away, things change.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,394,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible