Veil of Night by Linda Howard

Veil of Night (edition 2011)

by Linda Howard

4582033,919 (3.5)10
Member:kkorak
Title:Veil of Night
Authors:Linda Howard
Info:Paragon (2011), Edition: Large type edition, Paperback

Veil of Night by Linda Howard

DESCRIPTION, NOT REVIEW: Jaclyn Wilde is a wedding planner who loves her job—usually. But helping Carrie Edwards with her Big Day has been an unrelenting nightmare. Carrie is a bridezilla of mythic nastiness, yet the unpleasant task at hand turns seriously criminal when Carrie is brutally murdered and everyone involved with the ceremony is accusing one another of doing the deed. Assigned to the case, Detective Eric Wilder finds that there’s too much evidence pointing toward too many suspects. Compounding his problems is Jaclyn, now a prime suspect, with whom he shared one deeply passionate night before Carrie’s death. As the heat intensifies between Eric and Jaclyn, a cold-blooded murderer moves dangerously close. And this time the target is not a bride but one particularly irresistible wedding planner, unaware of a killer’s vow. ( )
  treehousereader | Sep 16, 2017 |
Eric Wilder and Jaclyn Wilde meet when she is at the police station to pay a speeding ticket. She literally runs right into him. They are attracted but go on about their day. Eric is a police detective and Jaclyn is an event planner. They meet again later that evening when she happens to stop into a cop bar to get a drink to unwind from a tough day. Sparks fly, the conversation flows, and, ultimately, they wind up having a one-night stand. He leaves in the morning promising to call her in a week of so when her stretch of six weddings in five days is over.

Jaclyn has a meeting with one of the worst bridezillas ever the next day. Carrie Edwards is marrying the son of a state senator and is determined to have a perfect wedding. Unfortunately she is just mean and seems to delight in throwing everyone else into chaos. She wants new bridesmaid dresses custom made with only a month to go. She doesn't like the flowers. She won't make a decisions about the food. Jaclyn has to try to soothe the venders and pacify the bride. Carrie has a tantrum, slaps Jaclyn across the face and fires her company. Jaclyn is angry and upset. Not about being fired, because she has hated working for Carrie and knows that they will still be collecting most of their contracted fess, but because she so badly wanted to hit Carrie back.

Next thing she knows, someone has killed Carrie by stabbing her with multiple kebob skewers and she is the number one suspect. Eric is assigned to the case and has to act professionally to clear her name which makes her very angry and hurt. Eric doesn't want the investigation to put a stop to their new romance and thinks that the quickest way to get back to the romance is to clear her name as convincingly as possible.

It turns out the Jaclyn saw the probable murderer as she was leaving the meeting with Carrie. She was so upset and angry that she didn't really notice him other than that he was a grey-haired man driving some kind of silver car. Eric investigates Carrie's murder by interviewing her family and friends and discovers that quite a number of people want her dead. His fears that the murder will come after Jaclyn for fear that she recognized him are realized when Jaclyn becomes a near victim of a drive-by shooting.

Besides the intense action, there are some really nice moments of humor in this one. Eric has had the recent bad luck of stopping for coffee two mornings in a row and foiling attempted robberies at each location. In neither case did he take down the criminal with his gun. More humor comes when Jaclyn is doing wedding planning for a hillbilly wedding and trying to help the mother of the groom keep it from being a complete fiasco.

This was a fun and intense romantic suspense novel. I enjoyed it very much. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 18, 2016 |
After reading an assortment of the reviews for this book, I had a few reservations about reading it myself. I went into it prepared for the worst, but enjoyed it quite a bit. If I'd been in the mood for a realistic plot and characters that left a lasting impression, I would've been disappointed, but the book does have a certain entertainment value. The biggest problem I had was the relationship between Jaclyn and Eric. Things went from a one-night stand to "true love" by using the cop / murder suspect trope. It just wasn't a believable relationship. Entertaining, yes. Just don't "think" about it too much and you'll be fine.

I did laugh out loud several times at all the snark, especially between the women. Madelyn was the perfect picture of stalwart Southern woman. Her personality was larger than life and overshadowed the scenes she shared with her daughter Jaclyn, our main character. I did like Jaclyn, but I didn't get a good feel for her outside of her job. It didn't help that as a wedding planner she was a bit one dimensional. She steered her clients toward more traditional weddings instead of embracing the creative or unique. She'd give them what they wanted, but wasn't really on board with it.

If you're in the mood for an easy to absorb book, or need a fun pick-me-up that doesn't require you're brain to engage, this is a great choice. It's a fun, fluffy, romantic comedy with a little crime drama thrown in on the side. Just don't expect a lot of suspense. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
I have to start off by saying Linda Howard is one of my favorite authors, one whose books I purchase sight unseen. I even had this one on my Christmas list! (And believe me, I have to limit that list, so I'm picky!)

I tore into the pages with the same enthusiasm and anticipation as always, but closed the book feeling disappointed. I just didn't love this story. The plot felt thin to me - both the "action" story and the love story, the characters not clearly defined (although the hero was suitably yummy!). I almost wonder if her publisher or editor rushed her to get it out, because it read to me more like a draft.

But I still love Linda Howard. I'll still rush out to buy her books, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that whatever held her muse captive on this one has been banished! ( )
  LeahDee | Jan 24, 2016 |
Jaclyn Wilde is a wedding planner whose latest client is the poster child for the term “bridezilla”. When the bride ends up dead after a food tasting everyone is on the suspect list.

A light, fun read that I did enjoy.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Six weddings in five days.

Jaclyn Wilde is a wedding planner who loves her job - usually. But helping Carrie Edwards with her Big Day has been an unrelenting nightmare. Carrie is a bridezilla of mythic nastiness, a diva whose tantrums are just about as crazy as her demands. But the unpleasant task at hand turns seriously criminal when Carrie is brutally murdered and everyone involved with the ceremony is accusing one another of doing the deed.

The problem is, most everyone - from the cake maker and the florist to the wedding-gown retailer and the bridesmaids' dressmaker - had his or her own reason for wanting the bride dead, including Jaclyn. And while those who felt Carrie's wrath are now smiling at her demise, Jaclyn refuses to celebrate tragedy, especially since she finds herself in the shadow of suspicion.

Assigned to the case, Detective Eric Wilder finds that there's too much evidence pointing toward too many suspects. Compounding his problems is Jaclyn, with whom he shared one deeply passionate night before Carrie's death. Being a prime suspect means that Jaclyn is hands-off just when Eric would rather be hands-on. As the heat intensifies between Eric and Jaclyn, a cold-blooded murderer moves dangerously close. And this time the target is not a bride but one particularly irresistible wedding planner, unaware of a killer's vow.

"Jaclyn Wilde is a wedding planner who loves her job -- usually. But helping Carrie Edwards with her Big Day has been an unrelenting nightmare. Carrie is a bridezilla of mythic nastiness, a diva whose tantrums are just about as crazy as her demands. But the unpleasant task at hand turns serously criminal when Carrie is brutally murdered and everyone involved with the ceremony is accusing one another of doing the deed." -- Dust jacket..… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,182,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible