Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Green (Author)

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.
Member:AGravett.ELA5
Title:Looking for Alaska
Authors:John Green (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2006), Edition: Reprint, 221 pages
Rating:*****

Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Cracked up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    Paper Towns by John Green (chwiggy)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (633)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (651)
I feel like I stopped enjoying John Green books a long while ago, I mean, I like The Fault in Our Stars but all the other books seemed too recycled and boring.
As much as I adore the John Green, I didn't enjoy Looking for Alaska because the main character was just so selfish and uninteresting, unlike Alaska.
Even though I think Mr.Green made a very good point about it in the book, which I liked a lot, I wouldn't read it again nor recommend it, maybe only as a read to pass the time and to be forgotten.
  comicsanshater | Jan 14, 2020 |
Miles, "Pudge", Halter wasn't a fan of his school. Therefore transitioning to a boarding school wasn't so hard. He met a guy named Chip, and a funny, crazy and charming girl named Alaska. At first, Pudge doesn't quite understand Alaska, but over time, he starts to fall for her. Alaska loved pranks, and so one day, they all decided to pull a prank. It was a successful prank and they celebrated. They learned a lot about Alaska that night. One day, Miles and Chip got dreadful news. Alaska died in a car accident. Miles and Chip knew that she left the campus, but they didn't know that she died. Miles and Chip were determined to find out why she did that. They never actually fully found out why, but they learned a lot from it.

I honestly thought this book was fantastic. I love mysterious books or books where you have to solve things. This book definitely had mystery. It also was pretty humorous so that made it even more enjoyable. I remember nights when I couldn't sleep because I stayed up reading. This book also made me feel all kind of ways. One minute I was confused and the next minute I was excited. The characters were all so unique and it was way more interesting. Overall, this book is for more mature readers, but it still is a great book. ( )
  AGravett.ELA5 | Jan 14, 2020 |
Miles did not like highschool. So it was easy enough to leave his fake friends and transfer to a boarding school during summer break. Like Francois Rabelais he was eager to chase the great perhaps.Boarding school is very different. Especially this one. Every student was basically a spoiled, rich, genius. So miles and friends, Alaska and chip, fit in perfectly. Except for the rich and spoiled part. Alaska was beautiful, funny, outspoken, and uncomfortably smart. Chip was Miles’ roommate. Miles and his friends loved to pull pranks. In the middle of the school year, Miles falls deeply in love with Alaska. But one day, words breaks that Alaska died. And Miles and Chip are determined to investigate the meaning of her death. And this means they have to dive into the labyrinth of Alaska Young’s mind. In the end, Miles and Chip give up on understanding their beloved friends death. And they accept that death is natural and life is for the living. However,they honor her memory by pulling one last prank.

I loved this book. The writing drew me in and stomped on my heart. The book was oozing with references to pop culture, American history, and other books. To fully understand everything I researched the references, and everything connected beautifully. Looking for Alaska teaches many lessons. Including: forgiveness, accepting death, drug and alcohol abuse and more. I do admit this book is mature and not to be taken lightly. But, the message is powerful and I recommend. ( )
  HFish.ELA4 | Jan 13, 2020 |
This book changed my life in so many ways. Like Hazel said in The Fault in Our Stars, "And then there are books which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal." That's exactly how I feel about Looking for Alaska. ( )
  kaliwrites | Dec 4, 2019 |
I recommend this book 4 stars because it is easy to read, has an interesting plot, and it is at times quite humorous.

The book is about Miles Halter, a boy fascinated by famous last words who leaves for boarding school in search of the "Great Perhaps". He arrives at Culver Creek, only to meet Alaska Young, and together embark on a strange and intense journey to explore the "Great Perhaps".

Books like "The Fault in Our Stars" and "Elanor and Park" are very similar to this book, in that they both involve a teenage relationship and follow their journeys.

“Thomas Edison's last words were "It's very beautiful over there". I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.” ( )
  gene.liu | Nov 20, 2019 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,638,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible