Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska (original 2005; edition 2006)

by John Green (Author)

15,203689276 (4.1)458
Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.
Member:mrschacon
Title:Looking for Alaska
Authors:John Green (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2006), Edition: Reprint, 221 pages

Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (HatsForMice)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (kaledrina)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (mad.)
    mad.: this his john green's first book and although it has a completely different plot and characters it has the same style as an Abundance of Katherines
    On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (thesundaybookreport)
    Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Cecilturtle)
    Paper Towns by John Green (chwiggy)
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Can't Get There from Here by Todd Strasser (Dainichi-Goddess)
    White Noise by Don DeLillo (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: The place to start with one of the American literary monoliths of the 20th century. Green takes a lot of influence--good influence--from DeLillo's stylistic uniquities and adapts it for a YA audience, leaving him arguably with a catalogue as intellectually important and influential for future generations.… (more)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.
    Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers (kissthestarsxx)
    To Jaykae: Life Stinx by Jean Davies Okimoto (thesundaybookreport)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (curioussquared)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (bluenotebookonline)
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Everybody Sees the Ants by A. S. King (kaledrina)
    Undone by Brooke Taylor (kissthestarsxx)
    Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard (kaledrina)
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles (themephi)

English (669)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (688)
1 ( )
  ejmw | Aug 4, 2021 |
This was not the novel that first broke my heart, but I can see how for a lot of people it could be that novel. I've already tread those paths, however, so the story was a predictable read. Enjoyable but not life changing. ( )
  MCBacon | Aug 2, 2021 |
John Green is still John Green with his well fleshed out, interesting characters, and wholesome and heartbreaking plot. Looking for Alaska was strong, it has elements and moments that will stick with you. The writing and narration was really good. Throughout the book, it had enough mystery to motivate you to keep going. It almost sounds like a perfect fable until it doesn't. The first half of the book but the later half was really good. The narration was powerful and had me reading the book multiple times just so I could feel everything again. The later half was almost perfectly executed with a great ending. Though some events I felt like were something you just have to be okay with. Maybe a bit more time into it, everything would've felt more comfortable. The pacing could've been better. My opinion is that the book wasn't all that character-driven and that aspect I'll say, took the book from just good to great. ( )
  iris.jer | Jul 24, 2021 |
Teen fiction. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
While this book plays to a few stereotypes and the plot is predictable, it had interesting moments regarding the nature of grief and suffering. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Miles Halter is a teenager from Florida who likes to read bibliographies and collect last words of famous people. He decided to go to Alabama to finish last two years of his high school education. Miles chooses Culver Creek Preparatory School. His parents are questioning if he decide to go to preparatory school to meet new people and change his boring life style.
Miles instantly became a friend with his roommate Colonel who gave him a nick name Pudge. The Colonel is clever, proud, and financially poor. He is a born leader. Miles got introduced to Alaska Young. She gave his life a new dimension. Alaska is a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and rebellious. Miles falls for Alaska. She became a center of Miles universe.
This book is made using a before and after counting element to build up a grand climax of events. It is an unusual, but effective way of presenting a story. It is a great read. Many teen topics are addressed here: smoking, alcohol consumption and consequences, meaning of life, friendship, belonging, religion, death and dying, grief, and healing.
The author of Looking for Alaska, John Green, made me think about life and our attitude about it. A topic of depression got brought in with Alaska’s behavior. She gave out many times signs that she is suicidal. Her attitude about dying and her struggle with her mother’s passing away was never addressed in a productive way. Her depression was not taken seriously. Consequences are tragic and unbearable.
added by sla3 | editschool review, sla3

Miles's narration is alive with sweet, self-deprecating humor, and his obvious struggle to tell the story truthfully adds to his believability.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Johanna Lewis

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Celi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCarthy, LindaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my family: Sydney Green, Mike Green, and Hank Green
"I have tried so hard to do right."
(last words of President Grover Cleveland)
The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.
How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!
If only we could see the string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing is useless.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we are never irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they are old. They get scared of losing and failing.
You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.
When you're walking at night, do you ever get creeped out and even though it's silly and embarrassing you just want to run home?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,676,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible