Total Eclipse by Rachel Caine

Total Eclipse

by Rachel Caine

After multiple stories with David being the invincible Djinn and Joann being one of the most powerful Weather Wardens, we are now seeing them without powers...purely human and just as vulnerable. Chaos has taken over as fallout from Bad Bob's attack spreads over the world. Mother Earth is awake and she's not happy. It's Judgement Day and the Wardens are preparing their dwindling masses for war. Despite being powerless, Joanne and David refuse to sit by and watch from the sidelines.

This final installment of the Weather Warden series has all the "elements" (pun purposely planted) I've come to expect and the adrenaline infused pace that leaves me breathless at the end. Jo is one of my favorite "tough chick" heroes and the author gave her a very suitable battle! She's already survived so much, let's just have her... blow a nuclear power plant to draw the enemy fire! No way was she surviving this one, right? LOL! C'mon...this is JOANNE! The way Caine creates this world, especially her Djinn characters, it's totally feasible. It works for me. No Holds Barred Urban Fantasy! I loved it!

I was pleasantly surprised to see two of my favorite characters return for the finale and even more thrilled to learn of their spin-off series! Yay! Outcast Series here I come!

My advice to you: Clear you schedule. Once you start this one, you won't want to put it down! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
I liked this story. It was fast paced, and the heroine was resourceful in the face of catastrophy. I couldn't imagine myself working that fast, but I was excited reading Total Eclipse. There was a good balance of all aspects of being human. ( )
  lindyjudd | Oct 8, 2015 |
This was an exciting conclusion to the Weather Warden series. Joanne, David, Cherise and Kevin set off to try to get Joanne and David's powers back. They need to travel to the fire oracle through horrible weather. Mother Earth is waking up, has reclaimed all the djinn, and is really angry. She is expressing her anger through waves of destruction.

Adding to the problems is the fact that Joanne's powers have found a new home in Cherise who is Joanne's best friend but also a previously ordinary human. She suddenly has vast powers of weather and earth and has never been taught to control them. Kevin is a Weather Warden but he also now has David's djinn powers. He is better able to control them but doesn't waThe nt the powers.

The four of them struggle to travel while dodging massive storms and djinn sent by Mother Earth to destroy them. All along they are hearing from Lewis, who is in charge of the remaining wardens, that conditions are getting worse and worse throughout the world.

The story is fast-paced and filled with action. It is also filled with Joanne's determination not to give up but to keep trying different approaches to convince Mother Earth to stop her waves of destruction. I liked the relationship between Joanne and David and their willingness to do anything for each other.

Fans of urban fantasy will want to put this series on their reading list. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 11, 2015 |
There have been ups and downs with this series (mostly ups). This book was a definite "up." With the world literally falling apart around them, Jo and her djinn husband, David, do everything they can to save humanity. I really enjoyed this one. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
Solid finale for the nine book Weather Warden series. I started this series just on a whim, and kept picking up the next one until finishing with this one. I was very impressed with Caine's ability to combine technical details, some romance, and supernatural elements in a fantasy backdrop that made for fast, entertaining reads. Very original... ( )
  utbw42 | Jan 13, 2014 |

Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin, her husband, the djinn David, and the Earth herself have been poisoned by a substance that destroys the magic that keeps the world alive. The poison is destabilizing the entire balance of power, bestowing magic upon those who have never had it, and removing it from those who need it. It's just a matter of time before the delicate balance of nature explodes into chaos-and doom.

Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin and Djinn David, who have been stripped of their powers, must stop a poisonous substance from destabilizing the entire balance of power and destroying the magic that keeps the world alive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,866,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible