Naked by David Sedaris

Naked (original 1997; edition 1997)

by David Sedaris (Author)

In Naked, David Sedaris's message alternately rendered in Fakespeare, Italian, Spanish, and pidgin Greek is the same: pay attention to me. Whether he's taking to the road with a thieving quadriplegic, sorting out the fancy from the extra-fancy in a bleak fruit-packing factory, or celebrating Christmas in the company of a recently paroled prostitute, this collection of memoirs creates a wickedly incisive portrait of an all-too-familiar world. It takes Sedaris from his humiliating bout with obsessive behavior in A Plague of Tics to the title story, where he is finally forced to face his naked self in the mirrored sunglasses of a lunatic. At this soulful and moving moment, he picks potato chip crumbs from his pubic hair and wonders what it all means. This remarkable journey into his own life follows a path of self-effacement and a lifelong search for identity, leaving him both under suspicion and overdressed.… (more)
Member:LentzCyn
Title:Naked
Authors:David Sedaris (Author)
Info:Little, Brown (1997), Edition: 1st, 291 pages

Work Information

Naked by David Sedaris (1997)

English (114)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (117)
I admire his honesty and enjoyed his road trips more than passages where he came off too distanced and aloof from his companions, but that was where he was at then. ( )
  RonSchulz | Jun 24, 2022 |
Fresh on the heels of listening to Calypso by David Sedaris, I went back in time to a collection of his essays published in 1997 entitled Naked. This is a very short audiobook coming in at just over 3 hours and I got through it quite quickly.

Sedaris' caustic humour is back, as are the family interactions and dynamics. David Sedaris' sister Amy was involved in recording the audiobook and acts out some of the dialogue mentioned in the stories. I imagine this would have been a terrific collaboration between the two siblings (Amy is an actor) however the volume of her contributions were way too loud and jarringly contrasted with her brother's smooth delivery. As a consequence, I found myself regularly adjusting the volume and being taken out of the stories each time she spoke.

The title essay (Naked) is a story about the author's weekend stay at a nudist colony and was very enjoyable. I'm still enjoying Sedaris' sardonic take on the world and am listening to Me Talk Pretty One Day next. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Oct 24, 2021 |
Sedaris is always a delight. Makes me more judgy and bitchy during/after I read but I actually think it's better this way. ( )
  mayalekach | Sep 25, 2021 |
Naked by David Sedaris (1998)
  arosoff | Jul 11, 2021 |
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. This isn't a typical read for me; this selection was governed by my Book Club. I'm not used to fiction without at least a few elements of wizardry, dragons, or gratuitous sex and violence.

Naked is a collection of short autobiographical stories following a young man and his atypical experiences with his family, friends, and coworkers. While it may sound banal, the stories were over-the-top enough to be thoroughly entertaining but somehow did not strain credulity. Characters were vivid; I could HEAR the senile angry grandmother, the resentful clockmaker, the wise nudist. The narrator was especially genuine. David captured the thought process of a teenager perfectly: The martyr complex, the daydreaming, the insight, the boldness, and the terrible, terrible decision-making skills. He is not a perfect person, or even a great person, but he tries. I feel compelled to point out that the main character is gay. This plays, understandably, a huge part in his life stories, but is not the focus of the novel.

I struggled for a long time with the meaning of the text. While its a short story collection, it follows a timeline and there is some overlap between tales. However, it still lacks a goal, an arc. Reading fantasy, a genre defined by epic quests and comprised nearly entirely of allegory and metaphor, has trained me altogether wrongly to interpret this novel. Despite this, I was able to appreciate the themes on judging and evaluating people and found them refreshingly deep for a novel that is this humorous.

The novel breezed along, sporting both a short length and a light style befitting its facetious nature.

TL;DR: Surprisingly good and short enough its no big loss if you hate it. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |
Sedaris' Buch ist eine bittersüße, absurde, unsentimentale, bizarr witzige Schilderung mit Weisheit, mit komischen Obertönen, und sehr ernstem Unterton. Diese Prosa ist eine Entdeckung, eine fast perfekte Satire auf Biographien und auf das Leben.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velsand, TorsteinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeray, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Lisa
I'm thinking of asking the servants to wax my change before placing it in the Chinese tank I keep on my dresser.
Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common.
If nothing else, life in the suburbs promised that you might go from day to day _without_ finding shit in your hair.

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316777730, 1570424810

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,096,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible