Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan

Towers of Midnight

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (13)

Recently added bydraecas, corneus, private library, Bswishe1, M.E.Dow, CuriousPaper, R2MYD2, kay_emm_eff, caitlin.brook

This book is full of "Noooooooooooo" and "YES". So. Good. Back to what it was in the first book. Sanderson writes Matt so well. The whole book is just quite satisfying. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Mar 8, 2019 |
If the cover art weren't a clue, Perrin takes center stage in this volume with a final confrontation with the Whitecloaks under Galad. This is something that has been brewing since 'The Eye of the World', so it was very satisfying. Perrin's and Galad's plotlines conjoining puts Morgase into an interesting position. Perrin also faces down demons of self-doubt, and a Forsaken or two with varying results. Faile and Berelain Work It Out and we can truly lay to rest the ghost of the Plotline of Doom. As a united force, Perrin's forces march towards the Last Battle.

Mat has reached Andor and must delay there until he either opens a letter from Verin, or he receives instructions from her. While he waits he strikes a deal with Elayne for Andor to start building Aludra's dragons. Elayne also has to get Queenie on Perrin for awhile. Long standing darkfriend/Black Ajah threats come to a head and some rash decisions are made. Mat is awesome, and less problematic than he was in 'The Gathering Storm'. As with Perrin, a long-standing animosity - in Mat's case with the Snakes and Foxes - is dealt with on a rescue mission with Thom and Noal.

Egwene and a united White Tower face down the lingering Forsaken threat - and something else - and take to the World of Dreams, with some unwitting assistance from Perrin engaged in battle with another old nemesis. The White Tower is whole and can prepare for the Last Battle, but now it must try to decide how they solve a problem like the Dragon Reborn.

Rand still holds on to his new zen-like state and heads to Arad Doman and then Saldaea to take care of unfinished business, and make amends. With the help of Min he begins to form a plan that could make the coming confrontation with the Dark One the last. Meanwhile Aviendha sets out for Rhuidean to become a Wise One. There she experiences the past of the Aiel, but is given something else, also. A vision of the future that changes much.

And then, at the Black Tower (FINALLY, we get a picture of what's going on), some people are troubled by the constant echoing laughter and rubbing of hands. Androl, a Dedicated with a bit part in 'Winter's Heart', becomes the central figure there along with Pevara of the Red Ajah.

As with 'The Gathering Storm', 'Towers of Midnight' (I don't fully understand the name) is clearing away old plotlines and advancing timelines so that all of our main characters are in sync at the start of the Last Battle. Sanderson does the best job that any writer could have, frankly. There are some reunions that we don't get to see and a whole lot of unanswered questions - but this is the penultimate novel we got and its pretty damn good.

The Wheel of Time

Next: 'A Memory of Light'

Previous: 'The Gathering Storm' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 23, 2019 |
Relief.

That would be my strongest reaction to reading this novel, 'The Gathering Storm' provided some answers and much-needed rejuvenation after Jordan had spent several thousands pages trying to get himself out of a metaphorical corner.

But 'Towers of Midnight' really laid on resolution, offering answers and sometimes dragging characters towards the Last Battle. I appreciated the time spent with Perrin, one of my favorite early characters, who finally got out of a holding pattern that had been almost as frustrating as Rand's. In reading a couple other reviews, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who dislikes Elayne. Sanderson continues, but I feel, doesn't add more than necessary to the strange attitudes Jordan had towards women. I laughed when I saw the word 'bosom' in print again - but no 'expanse' of it, and no spanking either (spoiler alert).

'The Gathering Storm' as an entity was stronger than this one, but on consideration 'Towers of Midnight' is the central chunk of what was somehow or other going to be one book - never would have happened Robert - and then the faster pace and the sometimes disjointed nature of the book can be forgiven. From pieces that obviously had to be shifted into this volume, I can tell that 'A Memory of Light' will be stylistically stronger and more cohesive.

Sanderson deserves credit for doing so well with this project, but what has made these last two books so fulfilling is the revelations that Jordan has hinted and built off of in some instances for over a decade. There were tons of moments where I was glad to be reading in an empty house so I could vocalize my enjoyment like the crazy person that I am.

But don't worry folks, there's still plenty of new questions and surprises that have cropped up. By the end of 'Towers' I was already making a mental checklist of chapters to review and puzzles to ponder.

It's hard to believe that in a little over a year this long strange trip that has followed so many of from middle school will be finished.

P.S. Oh, and for the record, this is the worst (or best?) blue ball cover I have ever encountered.

Wheel of Time

Next: 'A Memory of Light'

Previous: 'The Gathering Storm' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Incredible. I loved nearly everything about this book. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
Just one more left in the series...I can't believe I've been reading these for nearly 15 years already. It would have been nice if they had Kindle versions all along so I didn't have to carry around those giant books, though. ( )
  TravbudJ | Sep 15, 2018 |

Jordan, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It soon became obvious with the stedding, that the Pattern was growing frail. The sky darkened. Our dead appeared, standing in rings outside the border of the stedding, looking in. Most troublingly, trees fell ill, and no song would heal them.

It was in this time of sorrows that I stepped up to the Great Stump. At first, I was forbidden, but my mother, Covril, demanded I have my chance. I do not know what sparked her change of heart, as she herself had argued quite decisively for the opposing side. My hands shook. I would be the last speaker, and most seemed to have already made up their minds to open the Book of Translation. They considered me and afterthought.

And I knew that unless I spoke true, humanity would be left alone to face the Shadow. In that moment, my nervousness fled. I felt only a stillness, a calm sense of purpose. I opened my mouth, and I began to speak.

—from The Dragon Reborn, by Loial,
son of Arent son of Halan, of Stedding Shangtai
Lo, it shall Come upon the wold that the prison of the the Greatest One shall grow weak, like the limbs of those who crafted it. Once again  His glorious cloak shall smother the Pattern of all things,and the Great Lord shall stretch forth his hand to claim what is His

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lift his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake there very will itself.

And then, shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and He shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve him, And He shall take our lips, for only him we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, And shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

—from The Prophecies of the Shadow
For Jason Denzel, Melissa Craib, Bob Kluttz, Jennifer Liang, Linda Taglieri, Matt Hatch, Leigh Butler, Mike Mackert, and all those readers who over the years have made The Wheel of Time part of their lives, and in doing so have made the lives of others better.
Mandarb's hooves beat a familiar rhythm on broken ground as Lan Mandragoran rode to his death.

The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One’s prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unraveling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight.The sun has begun to set upon the Third Age. Perrin Aybara is now hunted by specters from his past: Whitecloaks, a slayer of wolves, and the responsibilities of leadership. All the while, an unseen foe is slowly pulling a noose tight around his neck. To prevail, he must seek answers in Tel’aran’rhiod and find a way--at long last--to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The creatures beyond the stone gateways--the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn--have confused him, taunted him, and left him hanged, his memory stuffed with bits and pieces of other men’s lives. He had hoped that his last confrontation with them would be the end of it, but the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. The time is coming when he will again have to dance with the Snakes and the Foxes, playing a game that cannot be won. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost. This penultimate novel of Robert Jordan’s #1 New York Times bestselling series--the second of three based on materials he left behind when he died in 2007--brings dramatic and compelling developments to many threads in the Pattern. The end draws near.Dovie’andi se tovya sagain. It’s time to toss the dice.

As the seals on the Dark One's prison crumble and the armies of the Shadow boil out of the Blight, Perrin Aybara, hunted by specters from his past, must seek answers in "Tel'aran'rhiod" and find a way to master the wolf within him--or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life ... as The Tower of Ghenjei awaits.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,122,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible