Towers of Midnight

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (13)

Perrin Aybara must elude his longtime enemy, the Whitecloaks, while simultaneously battling a new foe who has yet to reveal himself. Elsewhere, Matrim Cauthon must once again confront the stone gateway keepers, the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn.

Oh my goodness. Things actually HAPPEN in this latest installment. The surprise of this nearly knocked me out my chair! ( )
  harroldsheep | May 21, 2021 |
The series is wrapping up and there is gobs of action-y things to do to get us there. Sanderson keeps some of Robert Jordan's ridiculous tropes, but like the last book, he has improved upon almost everything. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
Have the final book on hold from the library.... needs to get here faster.

Fantasy books are not my typical "go-to" genre, but after reading so much about these characters I can't help but feel a strong attachment and let's face it, deeply invested to them and their world, and definitely can't wait to see how it all ends.

As much as I don't think these are *great* books, I have to admit I start them and I can't put them down. I don't think I would actually recommend them to anyone, but that is mainly due to the fact they are so big, and so long, and honestly go at a snail's pace for so many books. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Matt's character has changed drastically, and not as a plot element. Brandon Sanderson is doing a good job but I think he's going overboard and exagerrating Matt's character too much. ( )
  SGTCat | Feb 25, 2021 |
I was so sad to hear that Robert Jordan had died and was wondering if the series would ever finish. I was wondering how Brandon Sanderson would do and I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did and I'm glad that the series got finished and I was able to see what happened to the characters. ( )
  payday1999 | Dec 8, 2020 |

Jordan, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It soon became obvious with the stedding, that the Pattern was growing frail. The sky darkened. Our dead appeared, standing in rings outside the border of the stedding, looking in. Most troublingly, trees fell ill, and no song would heal them.

It was in this time of sorrows that I stepped up to the Great Stump. At first, I was forbidden, but my mother, Covril, demanded I have my chance. I do not know what sparked her change of heart, as she herself had argued quite decisively for the opposing side. My hands shook. I would be the last speaker, and most seemed to have already made up their minds to open the Book of Translation. They considered me and afterthought.

And I knew that unless I spoke true, humanity would be left alone to face the Shadow. In that moment, my nervousness fled. I felt only a stillness, a calm sense of purpose. I opened my mouth, and I began to speak.

—from The Dragon Reborn, by Loial,
son of Arent son of Halan, of Stedding Shangtai
Lo, it shall Come upon the wold that the prison of the the Greatest One shall grow weak, like the limbs of those who crafted it. Once again  His glorious cloak shall smother the Pattern of all things,and the Great Lord shall stretch forth his hand to claim what is His

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lift his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake there very will itself.

And then, shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and He shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve him, And He shall take our lips, for only him we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, And shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

—from The Prophecies of the Shadow
For Jason Denzel, Melissa Craib, Bob Kluttz, Jennifer Liang, Linda Taglieri, Matt Hatch, Leigh Butler, Mike Mackert, and all those readers who over the years have made The Wheel of Time part of their lives, and in doing so have made the lives of others better.
Mandarb's hooves beat a familiar rhythm on broken ground as Lan Mandragoran rode to his death.

The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One’s prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unraveling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight.The sun has begun to set upon the Third Age. Perrin Aybara is now hunted by specters from his past: Whitecloaks, a slayer of wolves, and the responsibilities of leadership. All the while, an unseen foe is slowly pulling a noose tight around his neck. To prevail, he must seek answers in Tel’aran’rhiod and find a way--at long last--to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The creatures beyond the stone gateways--the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn--have confused him, taunted him, and left him hanged, his memory stuffed with bits and pieces of other men’s lives. He had hoped that his last confrontation with them would be the end of it, but the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. The time is coming when he will again have to dance with the Snakes and the Foxes, playing a game that cannot be won. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost. This penultimate novel of Robert Jordan’s #1 New York Times bestselling series--the second of three based on materials he left behind when he died in 2007--brings dramatic and compelling developments to many threads in the Pattern. The end draws near.Dovie’andi se tovya sagain. It’s time to toss the dice.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,035,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible