Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan

Towers of Midnight

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (13)

Just one more left in the series...I can't believe I've been reading these for nearly 15 years already. It would have been nice if they had Kindle versions all along so I didn't have to carry around those giant books, though. ( )
  TravbudJ | Sep 15, 2018 |
Outstanding! Brandon Sanderson continues to recapture the faster pacing of the earlier books in the series. There's a LOT going on in the various plotlines in this volume. A lot of excitement, and a few melancholy scenes as well. This one ranks rather highly in the series. I can't remember having this much fun with the Wheel of Time since The Dragon Reborn (#3). With great anticipation, and a little bit of sorrow, I proceed on to the conclusion to the tale - A Memory of Light. ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
Towers of Midnight is the thirteenth book in The Wheel of Time. Only one more book to go! For me, this book didn’t quite reach that same level of “amazing” that the previous book reached. It was more on the level of the previous books, which means I still enjoyed it a great deal, but it didn’t leave me in agony every time I had to put it down. I did enjoy all the storylines, and there was some really cool stuff that happened.

The rest of my comments have to go behind the spoiler tags.
I was starting to think I would have to wait until the very last book to see the rescue of Moiraine that I’ve been waiting for forever. :) It finally happened near the end. It was very short; I had expected it to be a longer process, but I still really enjoyed it. I did feel bad for Noal, though, even if he has apparently had an incredibly long life. I suspected he might end up being the “red shirt” of their expedition. The parts where Mat was using his luck to help them navigate the maze, and Thom’s and Noal’s reaction to that, were great fun and I chuckled all the way through it. I also enjoyed seeing Mat’s original experience with the Aelfinn come full circle with the last of their “answers” explained.

I look forward to seeing Moiraine interact with the rest of our main characters again. The Thom/Moiraine thing didn’t surprise me, because I had caught the big hint Jordan gave us in book 4, although I had always wondered if I was reading too much into it. Their fast decision to get married did still seem sudden, though, despite her foreknowledge. I may be pretty certain that I’m going to be driving to work on Monday morning, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to get dressed in my work outfit now, on Friday evening… Ok, I guess that's a really bad analogy, but still!

I was also happy to finally learn what was in Verin’s letter to Mat, even if I did have to wait until practically the last page of the book. I hadn’t known what to expect, but I was definitely surprised to learn that it was a warning of a Shadowspawn attack on Caemlyn that was already in progress by the time anybody saw the letter. I was kind of surprised Mat left the letter behind, though.

The part with Aviendha in Rhuidean where she saw (potential?) future events was interesting, but also alarming. I hope we’ll get some more info about that in the last book.

I’ve been growing less and less of a fan of Elayne as the books have progressed. I know a lot of her behavior has been blamed on her pregnancy, but she has some really immature and thoughtless attitudes sometimes.

I had been disappointed in the last book when Tam was telling Rand about Morgase, because that revelation happened off the page and I’d wanted to see it for myself. I was therefore very happy that some parts of this book took place earlier than the end of the previous book, and we got to see how that revelation came about and see her reunion with all her family members.

The timeline did get a bit wacky though, with some characters’ sections taking place after the end of the previous book and some characters’ sections taking place before. It was pretty easy to keep straight, but I had one moment of confusion with Elayne. She’d met with Egwene during Egwene’s point of view and had been told about Verin, but shortly after that we were in Elayne’s point of view and she didn’t know about Verin, but that was because her point of view was still before the end of the previous book and that meeting with Egwene hadn’t yet occurred from her perspective.

I enjoyed Rand’s character much more in this book now that he has his head on straight and has become a likeable character again. I rarely enjoy seeing the hero in a story go bad, even if it’s only temporary, and his sections were starting to get frustrating to me in recent books. There seems to still be some weirdness going on inside that head of his, though, with the darkness and light and now apparently Lanfear showing up in his shielded dreams.
1 vote YouKneeK | Mar 9, 2018 |
Towers of Midnight started off very strong, and it really seemed as if we were developing some of the myriad plot lines to a conclusion. Unfortunately, much like the last book, it got bogged down in the middle with a lot of filler. The ending, when we got to it, then seemed rushed . . . as if Sanderson realised he was running out of pages.

Although he has done an admirable job of picking up a long running series, and has managed to emulate Jordan's style very well, I really wonder about the decision to expand Jordan's final book into a trilogy. The official story is that Sanderson had too much material for a single book, but I suspect the decision had more to do with the publisher and dollar signs.

With 2 books down and 1 to go, there is clearly a very strong, 5-star book hidden amidst the fluff. I just wish we could have gotten the author's preferred, single-volume, abridged edition. ( )
  bibrarybookslut | Jul 5, 2017 |
Thoroughly enjoyed that. And... I think I finally "get" Perrin... and also... Tower of Ghenj sequence was a lot shorter than I thought it would be considering the title of the book and the cover (it was almost anti climatic... almost...)

And... well... that means only one more volume to go... D: ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |

Jordan, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It soon became obvious with the stedding, that the Pattern was growing frail. The sky darkened. Our dead appeared, standing in rings outside the border of the stedding, looking in. Most troublingly, trees fell ill, and no song would heal them.

It was in this time of sorrows that I stepped up to the Great Stump. At first, I was forbidden, but my mother, Covril, demanded I have my chance. I do not know what sparked her change of heart, as she herself had argued quite decisively for the opposing side. My hands shook. I would be the last speaker, and most seemed to have already made up their minds to open the Book of Translation. They considered me and afterthought.

And I knew that unless I spoke true, humanity would be left alone to face the Shadow. In that moment, my nervousness fled. I felt only a stillness, a calm sense of purpose. I opened my mouth, and I began to speak.

—from The Dragon Reborn, by Loial,
son of Arent son of Halan, of Stedding Shangtai
Lo, it shall Come upon the wold that the prison of the the Greatest One shall grow weak, like the limbs of those who crafted it. Once again  His glorious cloak shall smother the Pattern of all things,and the Great Lord shall stretch forth his hand to claim what is His

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lift his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake there very will itself.

And then, shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and He shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve him, And He shall take our lips, for only him we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, And shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

—from The Prophecies of the Shadow
For Jason Denzel, Melissa Craib, Bob Kluttz, Jennifer Liang, Linda Taglieri, Matt Hatch, Leigh Butler, Mike Mackert, and all those readers who over the years have made The Wheel of Time part of their lives, and in doing so have made the lives of others better.
Mandarb's hooves beat a familiar rhythm on broken ground as Lan Mandragoran rode to his death.

The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One’s prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unraveling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight.The sun has begun to set upon the Third Age. Perrin Aybara is now hunted by specters from his past: Whitecloaks, a slayer of wolves, and the responsibilities of leadership. All the while, an unseen foe is slowly pulling a noose tight around his neck. To prevail, he must seek answers in Tel’aran’rhiod and find a way--at long last--to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The creatures beyond the stone gateways--the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn--have confused him, taunted him, and left him hanged, his memory stuffed with bits and pieces of other men’s lives. He had hoped that his last confrontation with them would be the end of it, but the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. The time is coming when he will again have to dance with the Snakes and the Foxes, playing a game that cannot be won. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost. This penultimate novel of Robert Jordan’s #1 New York Times bestselling series--the second of three based on materials he left behind when he died in 2007--brings dramatic and compelling developments to many threads in the Pattern. The end draws near.Dovie’andi se tovya sagain. It’s time to toss the dice.

As the seals on the Dark One's prison crumble and the armies of the Shadow boil out of the Blight, Perrin Aybara, hunted by specters from his past, must seek answers in "Tel'aran'rhiod" and find a way to master the wolf within him--or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life ... as The Tower of Ghenjei awaits.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,009,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible