dismiss

Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan

Towers of Midnight

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (13)

Perrin Aybara must elude his longtime enemy, the Whitecloaks, while simultaneously battling a new foe who has yet to reveal himself. Elsewhere, Matrim Cauthon must once again confront the stone gateway keepers, the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn.

While there were some structural issues (ie, re-working from one giant book into three meant that people and places were out of chronological order), I'm stunned at this.

I... think it's actually coming together. More than that, to get this payoff, I think the series actually needed all that lead time.

Sanderson certainly helps up the punchiness, but it actually feels like Jordan finally completing a real epic. ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |

Ungh...I thought this would never end.

Sanderson is doing something heroic in this book, cleaning up an incredibly tangled weave of loose threads whilst trying to stay true to the idiosyncrasies (including a near obsessive need to focus on boobies) of Jordan AND at the same time tell a tale that the readers want to read. In a book about heroes, he's perhaps the biggest.

His biggest achievement is to finally end the constant whingeing of many of the characters and putting an end to interactions that were stuck in a rut.

Brandon is better at the craft than Jordan was and his more deft handling of the story exposes what a mess Wheel of Time has become. There are so many superfluous characters and sub-plots that have been introduced and have to be quickly resolved or snipped and that diminishes them all.

Still, reading about Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Nynaeve and the others from Two Rivers does give a bit of a nostalgic hit and I am curious as to how this will be resolved and if Sanderson will manage a somewhat satisfactory end (I think he will...). ( )
  StigE | Feb 23, 2020 |
Towers of Midnight continues with the momentum that began with Knife of Dreams. Sanderson continues to deliver, and hopefully this keeps going for the finale. The action and battle scenes are what really shine, giving enough descriptions to visualize what's happening but not so much that the plot comes to a halt. We also are treated to technological advances that signal the end of an era, and I can't help but laugh inside when I remember how stagnant books 7-10 were. The Forces of Shadow have made their opening moves of the Last Battle, and the Forces of Light still have divisions among them. The young leaders all learn that victory will require sacrifice as each one loses someone dear to them.

ToM is largely a Perrin book, and one that he needed badly. After a few books of inaction and denying that he could lead, he finally gets to develop into the man he needs to be. Resolving conflicts that have haunted him since The Eye the World pulled Perrin out of his constant self doubt. Basically, his own Dragonmount moment.

Mat gets most of his attention in the final chapters, and like Perrin, events that were foreshadowed many books ago occur. Unfortunately, Mat's fear of Aes Sedai entanglement may be a costly mistake.

Elayne and Egwene get more political maneuvering, thankfully not interspersed with baths and new dresses, instead actually being helpful. Egwene's politicking also involves cleaning house in the White Tower, leading to a battle of her own. Gawyn is present here, and acts less like dumb, blind puppy toward the end.

Rand doesn't get much, but we do see him fixing many of his mistakes. His plan for the Last Battle is controversial, causing dissent among some allies.

Aviendha gets a special mention. With only a couple chapters, she has visions of events long after the Last Battle, and the future she saw was bleak. ( )
  High_Enginseer | Feb 4, 2020 |
Finished my last re read! New book comes out tomorrow! How is that for timing! Ha haaaa! ( )
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
Hardcover 2010 ( )
  MaddieBloom | Nov 27, 2019 |

Jordan, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It soon became obvious with the stedding, that the Pattern was growing frail. The sky darkened. Our dead appeared, standing in rings outside the border of the stedding, looking in. Most troublingly, trees fell ill, and no song would heal them.

It was in this time of sorrows that I stepped up to the Great Stump. At first, I was forbidden, but my mother, Covril, demanded I have my chance. I do not know what sparked her change of heart, as she herself had argued quite decisively for the opposing side. My hands shook. I would be the last speaker, and most seemed to have already made up their minds to open the Book of Translation. They considered me and afterthought.

And I knew that unless I spoke true, humanity would be left alone to face the Shadow. In that moment, my nervousness fled. I felt only a stillness, a calm sense of purpose. I opened my mouth, and I began to speak.

—from The Dragon Reborn, by Loial,
son of Arent son of Halan, of Stedding Shangtai
Lo, it shall Come upon the wold that the prison of the the Greatest One shall grow weak, like the limbs of those who crafted it. Once again  His glorious cloak shall smother the Pattern of all things,and the Great Lord shall stretch forth his hand to claim what is His

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lift his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake there very will itself.

And then, shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and He shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve him, And He shall take our lips, for only him we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, And shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

—from The Prophecies of the Shadow
For Jason Denzel, Melissa Craib, Bob Kluttz, Jennifer Liang, Linda Taglieri, Matt Hatch, Leigh Butler, Mike Mackert, and all those readers who over the years have made The Wheel of Time part of their lives, and in doing so have made the lives of others better.
Mandarb's hooves beat a familiar rhythm on broken ground as Lan Mandragoran rode to his death.

The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One’s prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unraveling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight.The sun has begun to set upon the Third Age. Perrin Aybara is now hunted by specters from his past: Whitecloaks, a slayer of wolves, and the responsibilities of leadership. All the while, an unseen foe is slowly pulling a noose tight around his neck. To prevail, he must seek answers in Tel’aran’rhiod and find a way--at long last--to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The creatures beyond the stone gateways--the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn--have confused him, taunted him, and left him hanged, his memory stuffed with bits and pieces of other men’s lives. He had hoped that his last confrontation with them would be the end of it, but the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. The time is coming when he will again have to dance with the Snakes and the Foxes, playing a game that cannot be won. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost. This penultimate novel of Robert Jordan’s #1 New York Times bestselling series--the second of three based on materials he left behind when he died in 2007--brings dramatic and compelling developments to many threads in the Pattern. The end draws near.Dovie’andi se tovya sagain. It’s time to toss the dice.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,245,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible